Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 09:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,750,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Again, in a just society, we don't assume guilt until guilt is proven. If you want society to keep breaking down, continue to breach that edict.
Tell that to the millions kept in custody because they can’t pay bail.

As for the OP, good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 09:11 AM

45,294 posts, read 26,549,700 times
There really isnt anything too reprehensible a govt cop wont do if ordered to.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 01-04-2021 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,750,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your attitude, and the attitude of the people breaking the gathering rules, is exactly the reason the virus keeps spreading.

Healthy people? We know for a fact that the virus can spread from someone who is asymptomatic. The highlighted part shows you don't fully understand how the virus is spreading.

You can Google many " family gatherings " where people thought they were healthy, but ended up spreading the virus to love ones.

We've know this for months. This was back in June.

"According to health officials, 15 recent cases have been linked to a family gathering in the Fraser Health region, which includes most of the Lower Mainland outside of Vancouver and North Vancouver."

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...ily-gathering/

Did these people think they were all healthy? Of course they did, but darn, aunt Jennie " looked " healthy

However, as long as people don't have the capacity to understand this, then people will continue to get sick, and continue to die.
Here’s a recent heartbreaking example from the U.S.:

“A son is warning that short visits — even with precautions like testing and masks — can be unsafe during the COVID-19 pandemic, after his parents died of the virus following a quick visit with him and his sister.”

https://people.com/health/couple-mar...rything-right/

Old 01-04-2021, 09:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,448,665 times
Quote:
Sorry, not buying it. When it comes to diseases, I am responsible for my own health and well being, you are responsible for yours. For instance, this vaccine issue: you are taking a vaccine to prevent YOU from getting a disease. The vaccine protects YOU, not your neighbor. Not the guy you pass on the freeway.
I agree with much of what you have written in this thread, but not this. It is a pretty selfish view on your part to say you don't care if you get someone else sick. Conservatives I know would not feel this way as they generally care about their fellow man. Yes, it other's responsibility to take care of themselves, but in this case, we all have a part to play to keep each other safe.

I was out by a Florida beach last week and was shocked at how few visitors to our state were social distancing or wearing masks. It's like they did not care at all for our employees or citizens. Overheard one visitor say after new years eve that "if she didn't get covid after last night, she never will". Okay, so that is fine if you want to take the risk for yourself, but it is not okay if you put others at risk through your behavior. Visitors to any state regardless of political affiliation should think about the health and welfare of the state they are visiting. Otherwise, I have no use for them. Please come and spend money and enjoy yourself, BUT do it responsibly.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,537,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You're dealing with Nanny State, bed wetters, afraid of their own shadow that believe everything the Communist Propaganda MEDIA tells them.

This is not the Plague. This is an old/sick person virus, not worthy of the shut downs and economic and life chaos that government and MEDIA has put in place.
Your continued ignorance knows no limits in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wrecked-li...ry?id=74148061

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...re-at-risk-too

You willingly assume the mantel of a "death panel" you and so many of your compatriots so blithely accuse other countries of having by simply consigning any number of deaths to the side of the ledger "they would have died anyway".

You can be proud of upholding those fine 'American's being noted for' standards.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:47 AM

2,035 posts, read 714,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Here’s a recent heartbreaking example from the U.S.:

“A son is warning that short visits — even with precautions like testing and masks — can be unsafe during the COVID-19 pandemic, after his parents died of the virus following a quick visit with him and his sister.”

https://people.com/health/couple-mar...rything-right/
First of all, I did not read the whole story. Why did the kids do that? Something fishy

Old 01-04-2021, 11:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,129,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
First of all, I did not read the whole story. Why did the kids do that? Something fishy
Why did you not read the whole story? You need to do that.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,619,779 times
Quote:
Sorry, not buying it. When it comes to diseases, I am responsible for my own health and well being, you are responsible for yours. For instance, this vaccine issue: you are taking a vaccine to prevent YOU from getting a disease. The vaccine protects YOU, not your neighbor. Not the guy you pass on the freeway.

If I am at high risk of getting a disease (any disease), it is MY responsibility to minimize that risk, not everyone else's around me. If I am allergic to dogs or cats, for instance, I don't walk into a pet store. If I'm eighty years old and plagued with health issues, I don't go out in public during a covid pandemic. On the other hand, if I'm healthy, young, and in a low-risk group, I carry on with my life.

Again, we do not treat everyone as if they are contagious and diseased (basically like lepers). THAT is unethical and uncalled for.

By the way, "these restriction" may well be forever the way things are going.
Actually the vaccine will protect my neighbours, by preventing me from getting the disease and passing it on to them. It's just a better solution than a mask, etc, but for now we do what works best.

Unfortunately many 80 year olds do not live in isolation. They have interactions which may be social, or a caseworker. Are you now blaming the elderly for getting Covid?

Anyway, good luck with your lack of protecting yourself and others.

Did you know that now in the US one person on average dies of Covid every 33 seconds?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nags-1.5252837

Old 01-04-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Bad look, Canada. Bad look.
Bad look, USA

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 01-04-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So you also are starting any consideration on anyone's health from the POV that they *are* infected/sick?

I have no signs or symptoms or Ebola, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.
I have no signs or symptoms of diabetes, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.
I have no signs or symptoms of malaria, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.

Likewise, I have no signs or symptoms of COVID, so I will say with a high degree of certainty that I do not have it.

If I were to develop it, most likely (at least a 99.7% chance) I would stay in bed for a few days until it passes and then resume my normal activities. As with any condition/event, there are outliers and that's called life. It's not always fair and you cannot legislate it to be so or make demands upon others who have no obligation to you to deal with it.

You would have me, along with everyone else, treated as though I/we have all four of the above, no matter one's physical condition or lack of manifestation of symptoms?
File this post under " clueless ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies