Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:52 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,432,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I’d be okay with that. I grew up hearing how bad I was just because I have white skin. It started to get to me until I realized the facts. The majority of white people, over 92%, did not have slaves, there are racists in every group, black Africans are as much to blame for slavery as any white person, and I have not knowingly done anything racists to anyone. I no longer feel any guilt whatsoever for being white and give a big middle finger to those who try to tell me otherwise. Those on the left who emphasize skin color are the true racists and kiss my @ss.
Blacks want us to pay them reparations even if our ancestors weren't here during slavery. They should be going after the descendants of the black Africans who sold the slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 07:07 PM

889 posts, read 273,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll give you as straight of an answer as I can for this one. I can't answer it in simply "yes" or "no" terms.

Let's just say I belong to a group that has been long looked down on, and is still looked down on more than other groups are. Economically, I'm personally not at the bottom. I'm not at the top, but I'm not poor either. At the same time, I understand that anything could happen and could land me at the bottom. Socially, I do feel like I'm relegated near the bottom. Whenever I come to CD and see so many threads that involve complaining about Black people, it's something I'm reminded of. There are times when I wonder if certain times I've dealt with job discrimination, or if so, how much. There are times when I feel like, socially, I'm close to the bottom.
thats sad and honest

Old 01-09-2021, 07:08 PM

25,899 posts, read 18,912,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
OP who is telling you what to think and do? Is this because gay marriage is legal? Women can control their own bodies? Everyone doesn’t have to believe in the same god?
I do not care which god you believe in or do not believe in. I do not care if "gay marriage" is legal. I do not care if heroin, or wood alcohol for that matter, is legal to consume. I do not care what you do with your body (just stay away from mine).

If you cannot see "who is telling us ALL what to do," there is an acute reasoning problem. Look up "cancel culture" sometime (make sure you find a critical analysis rather than a fan club) and read through it. Also, research all the social programs you are financing (by force, whether you like them or not). Research the idea of "hate crimes"--compare critically the difference between physically breaking a law and causing another harm and the notion of holding an unpopular opinion. Decide which is actually dangerous and which is simply "stressful" to a generation of porcelain dolls, thus must not be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Are you against the "far left" or just all of the "left?" Do you consider yourself "right?" And if yes, what does that mean you believe in?
I consider myself a "voluntaryist" -- on the self-ownership of that spectrum; or one who believes in individual liberty (under the assumption of the "non-aggression principle").

I am against anyone who would require the hours of my (or anyone's) life be commandeered in order to finance anything other than my (one's) own personal needs, the actual cost of any services or products provided me (one) directly, and any other expenditure I myself decide (one decides for oneself) prudent.

That being the case, I am opposed to authoritarian collectivism, which is what the "left" and "far left" espouses. I am not opposed to voluntary collectivism--but the left has no interest in that because it cannot provide the financial assets required to sustain their "plantation." The only difference between chattel slavery and the "leftist ideal" is that slavery implies 100% ownership of the hours of the serf or slave's life, and the "leftist ideal" requires something equal to or less than 100% ownership of the hours of the serf or slave's life (depending on the nation and specific details).

My notion is to own ZERO percent of the hours of the lives of others. I support a very simple economic model: fee for service rendered or product supplied. No more, no less.

Last edited by ChrisC; 01-09-2021 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-09-2021, 07:13 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,737,535 times
When I saw the images of those who broke into the Capitol and started raising cain, it reminded me of kids I went to middle school and high school with. That angry, cantankerous, bully mentality. I didn't see a protest. I saw belligerent bullies intent on sedition. It reminded me of some individuals back from high school who flew Confederate flags.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:15 PM

25,899 posts, read 18,912,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Blacks want us to pay them reparations even if our ancestors weren't here during slavery. They should be going after the descendants of the black Africans who sold the slaves.
They shouldn't be going after anyone. Those people have been long dead for over a century. Give me one good (and logical) reason anyone who happened to come out of the womb of someone who came out of the womb, etc, of someone having something to do with slavery should be held accountable for slavery.

Doesn't it make more sense to hold people accountable for what they, themselves, do in the here and now?

Old 01-09-2021, 07:16 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervision required View Post
No, republicans want to impose their philosophy even when you are outnumbered. When things don't go their way they fabricate lies and claim the lose elections because of voting fraud.

Republicans are not the party of "live and let live" They want to tell people what to do with their bodies, impose their God on others. Force patriotic love so we can have a 800 billion defense spending. They want people to pay taxes so the big corporations can get their nice breaks while the little people get nothing when their company moves to a cheaper state of cheaper country. Taxation without representation. They supported outsourcing, they have destroyed unions.

Republicans are not the party of freedom. Only the people on top are free from taxes. Trump made tax cuts for corporations permanent. The little people will see their tax cuts expire, of course after the election.
YOU are part of the problem and I hope you wake up and recognize this. I have had plenty of good online discussions with Democrats, most people I associate with IRL are Democrats, but then there's people like you...who ruin things for everyone with trollish behavior. You haven't learned to discuss, you only know how to "call out". Your counterparts on the Republican side don't get a pass either and now very few good discussions can be had because your kind infect everything.

I'm a Republican and an Atheist so go figure.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,647,023 times
The answer.....................simple, what happens to most nations, they crumble
and then re-form as something quite different.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:41 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Lux Mea View Post
thats sad and honest
I was asked if I feel like I'm at the bottom, socially and economically. Economically, I don't think I'm at the bottom. I make a decent salary and I'm not poor. However, when it comes to socially, I do feel like I belong to a group that is looked down on alot. Based on what I see here on CD, some of what I've seen in my personal life, there are times I wonder.

It's sad, but I had to be truthful about what I felt.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:06 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,827,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If we were under something more along the lines of the Articles of Confederation, it couldn't be justified at all, because the federal government would nearly not exist--at least nothing like we have now.

But, in the here-and-now, the federal government certainly does have the authority to compel states to abide by our Constitution.

And what part of the Constitution are you referring to when/if you think the Feds can challenge a constitutionally mandated state run and certified vote?
In fact, we the people have NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO VOTE FOR PRESIDENT AT ALL.
How do you like, or comport with, them apples?

We, the people vote for electors SOLELY by virtue of a state GRANTING US THAT PRIVELEGE.
Capiche?

At this point I am leaning in favor of states returning the selection of electors to the state assemblies.
The US would then be more similar to European countries where individuals do not vote for their chief executive at all because the (majority) party members do!

Enough of this unneeded and problematic 'democratic' election of the executive which turns our country upside down and fuels the hideous raising and expenditure of campain funds, endless advertising and disinformation on a national scale every four years.
I for one am sick of it.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,097,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
If the question is "How do Republicans get back in the Executive Office" the answer is "Run candidates like Dwight Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt, and Ronald Regan." Get back to the party's roots and stop with the populist/emotional tripe. You might even be able to throw Nixon in that bunch because he won wit quite a bit of the popular vote (he was even more popular than Regan in Regan's second term). It's what happened in his presidency that we remember him for.
This clearly is the only path forward for the GOP. The MAGAs have already deserted them, so their numbers have already been cut drastically. Add to that the numbers who have abandoned the party in disgust just in the last four days and it's hard to see how they win another election going forward as they stand now.

They will have to move back towards the center to have a chance of recapturing the millions of voters who deserted them following their unwavering support and enablement of a madman in the White House. They have some serious soul searching to do if they hope to survive this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies