Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:28 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Cancelling a book deal is "Orwellian oppression"???

Now I'm starting to get why you guys think basic government policy is Marxist.

Also, yeah, where's the personal responsibility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
You made quite the leap there. CBS owns S and S. CBS is known liberal mouthpiece. I’m sure some of that influence filters down. Also S and S publishes all sorts of books why would anyone think they are Christian? Also my life is not pitiful at all, but way to bring us all together with your rhetoric. Just another example of the HATEFULL left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 10:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
The book is about the tyranny of big tech. The same big tech that is in league with the democrat party to silence all opposition. Doesn't that smell fishy to anyone? That looks like the democrat controlled government indirectly silencing a critic and it could be seen as a first amendment violation for that reason. How do we know Simon and Schuster wasn't just caving into some pressure by Biden and dems? We need a lawsuit and discovery to get documents to find out what happened.
I think Hawley, an attorney, is well-qualified and fully capable of disputing the publisher's decision. "We" don't enter into it at all, since "we" are not parties to the original contract. In fact, if he sues the publisher and the suit is settled, "we" won't necessarily have the right to know the terms of the settlement.

Maybe you should pour yourself a nice warm drink of something and relax.

When the government starts banning books, I'll be right there with you, sporting all of the "I Read Banned Books" buttons I've collected over the years. Until then, I'm content to let the parties to a private contract mind their own business.

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-08-2021 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 10:51 PM

606 posts, read 354,992 times
Quote:
The book is about the tyranny of big tech. The same big tech that is in league with the democrat party to silence all opposition. Doesn't that smell fishy to anyone? That looks like the democrat controlled government indirectly silencing a critic and it could be seen as a first amendment violation for that reason. How do we know Simon and Schuster wasn't just caving into some pressure by Biden and dems? We need a lawsuit and discovery to get documents to find out what happened.
Not, it’s not fishy, and it’s not a first amendment issue at all. You are really stretching here. There’s no evidence that this has anything to do with Biden.

Thus is the problem with social media. Anybody can just make up any story no matter how outlandish. All it takes is continually repeating it and spreading it around until people start believing it. It’s exactly what happened with the supposed “election fraud”.

It starts with someone who’s imagination gets them a little carried away, and the next thing you know, we have a sizeable amount of the population believing stories that have no basis in reality.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:55 PM

761 posts, read 316,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Not, it’s not fishy, and it’s not a first amendment issue at all. You are really stretching here. There’s no evidence that this has anything to do with Biden.

Thus is the problem with social media. Anybody can just make up any story no matter how outlandish. All it takes is continually repeating it and spreading it around until people start believing it. It’s exactly what happened with the supposed “election fraud”.

It starts with someone who’s imagination gets them a little carried away, and the next thing you know, we have a sizeable amount of the population believing stories that have no basis in reality.
Could there ever come a day where some story that’s actually true gets purged because it offends the right people and their version of truth? Such a slippery slope...especially looking out long term.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
He supported free speech and now his free speech is getting cancelled.

Isn't Simon & Schuster a private business? If it's ok for a bakery to deny a wedding cake to a gay couple, then it's ok for Simon & Schuster to decide to not publish Hawley's book.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think Hawley, an attorney, is well-qualified and fully capable of disputing the publisher's decision. "We" don't enter into it at all, since "we" are not parties to the original contract. In fact, if he sues the publisher and the suit is settled, "we" won't necessarily have the right to know the terms of the settlement.

Maybe you should pour yourself a nice warm drink of something and relax.
I've been trying.

But I know eventually anything I drink will be deemed unhealthy and banned by the drink nazis.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:33 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Mark Cuban, of all people, puts it succinctly:

Quote:
Josh, let me explain Capitalism to you. Sometimes people decide not to do business with you. It’s their decision. You know the whole ‘No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service’ thing ? In your case it happens to be ‘No Principles, No Honesty, No Book’ thing. Feel free to Self-Publish.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:29 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
He seemed a lot more upset about his book deal getting canceled than about a right wing mob storming the Capitol and killing a cop.

Anyway this is the least of his problems. His donors are po'ed.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:47 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
He seemed a lot more upset about his book deal getting canceled than about a right wing mob storming the Capitol and killing a cop.

Anyway this is the least of his problems. His donors are po'ed.
Surely we was planning on using the book funds to help support a 2024 run. Good riddance, Josh!

Old 01-09-2021, 06:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Well, one thing. This just created a market for his book, if he were to self-publish.

I had never heard of him, or his book, before last week.

File this under the heading of all publicity is good publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies