Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Who cares what a crooked bank thinks or does. Ask yourself what makes all these companies, businesses stand together?...I'll tell you, its greed, its a large population of low wage cheap labor with money to spend.....China. What motivated the Democrat party to cheat an election, to lie about Russian collusion, to impeach a president for doing nothing wrong in the slightest? It is to get their man China Joe, the man who is in China's pocket into presidents chair and to smooth things out with China, his handler. This is all about banks, corporations/Wall Street profits.
If those companies supported Trump you would be singing their praises.......but because a company doesn't want to be associated with someone they think incited the riots --- you scream CHINA.....lol.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll miss you guys but I may ditch my internet service if this fascism crap doesn't end and end quick. Amazon, Verizon, no more of my money. If they want half the country silenced, they'll lose our $$$$.
Take care!

Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Unfortunately for them, all the brains are on the other side of the political spectrum. Not much coding going on in the trailer parks across America.
Perhaps dismounting that pseudo high horse is something to consider. Comments like this do not add anything intelligent nor do they add to a civil conversation. Or is the goal to further agitate and divide. Good luck with that.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. I'm thinking our only chance is for the half of America who is being censored, silenced, treated like 2nd class citizens (or worse), having their jobs threatened, etc., need to stop buying from these companies.

(I heard that a ton of people cancelled their Amazon Prime accounts. I will be another one, as of today.)
Suit yourself. Its still a free country. You have the right to deny yourself any product or service.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
By your reasoning, it is not correct to say that the majority of people wanted Trump out. Only about 26% expressed such a view.

But yes, the 74 million Americans who voted for Trump do indeed feel censored. NOBODY in my neighborhood put a Trump sign out, and walking around looking at the Biden signs, you'd think that everyone was a Democrat. Yet, on Election Day, the majority of voters in my liberal precinct went for Trump. That tells me that they, like I, feared retribution if we were to express preference for the U.S. President over the challenger.

And this silencing started long ago, but now it has risen to such a thuggish level that it can't be hidden. Years ago, when I was on another forum, the liberals were praising Bernie's plan to give free college to everyone (along with other freebies). I pointed out that the numbers didn't work - that even if you taxed ALL the money "rich" people earned, there wouldn't be enough to pay for it. My comment was quickly deleted by the (ultra-leftist) forum owner. When I asked him why my comment was deleted, he banned me.

Finally, it's more than just the president been banned from Twitter or Parler getting unplugged. (I've never been on either, BTW.) It's about the silencing of opposing voices by major corporations, and this might work it's way up to the SCOTUS, particularly in Parler's case. There, major leftist corporations (like Amazon and Twitter) have combined to squash a new and significantly smaller competitor. It may prove to be in violation of anti-trust laws, and if the SCOTUS hears it before Biden packs the Court with leftists, we will have a fair hearing.
Those smaller companies were using the services of Amazon and Twitter, not competing with them. Difference there. Parlor should have followed the TOS of those companies.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Best, only way to get to T is through his pocketbook and ego--"Why don't they like me anymore"?

Old 01-12-2021, 09:20 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Perhaps dismounting that pseudo high horse is something to consider. Comments like this do not add anything intelligent nor do they add to a civil conversation. Or is the goal to further agitate and divide. Good luck with that.
And yet, you cannot dispute the fact that these right wingers are dependent on using products and platforms created by progressives because they are incapable of building their own. Do you deny that?

Old 01-12-2021, 09:20 AM

77 posts, read 32,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll miss you guys but I may ditch my internet service if this fascism crap doesn't end and end quick. Amazon, Verizon, no more of my money. If they want half the country silenced, they'll lose our $$$$.
Silenced??
Nobody is silencing half of the country. Right wing conservatives have been able to post all they want, and to have Twitter and Facebook accounts. What has been banned is damaging our electoral process by lying and fomenting violence.
As far as Parler being kicked off servers, that is another thing. These companies are within their rights to choose not to do business with platforms that exist mainly to spread lies and incite sedition.
The right wing has sure turned into a bunch of snowflakes. Crying that "they are being so unfair to us" since they won't let us spread lies and make plans for sedition and violence. How mean of them.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:29 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
They’re also withdrawing support from members of Congress who voted against election certification:

“Over the weekend, several large companies — Marriott, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Commerce Bancshares — announced a suspension of donations to members of Congress who voted against election certification. Yesterday, the list expanded to Amazon, AT&T, Comcast, Airbnb, Mastercard, Verizon and Dow, the chemical company. Hallmark has even asked for its money back from two of the senators who opposed certification, Josh Hawley and Roger Marshall.”

https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/OTu9cW8Sr...8uY29tWAQAAAAA

Old 01-12-2021, 09:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
We need to stop with this narrative that "half of America" is being silenced. No, it's not.

There are approximately 328M adults in America, of which 74M voted for Trump, which equals 22.5%

Your argument also assumes that all 74M voters are active on Parler or in the MAGA movement. This is unequivocally false. There are many people who believe Trump lost and don't support his rallies or those MAGA who stormed the Capitol to try to disrupt Mike Pence from executing his duties as President of the Senate. I'd honestly be surprised if it was more than 10K people who are truly "upset".

At the end of the day it's a miniscule, albeit loud subsection of the American public who are upset at Parler getting unplugged and the President being barred from Twitter.

People want to think that they can say things on the internet without repercussion. The past few days have been, hopefully, a learning lesson that the rules of decorum and society extend to the internet.
THIS!!!

Then there's the addition of the rest of the world being involved on all those sites and none of them feeling unfairly put-upon by the stifling of Trump's lies.

Standing up for the likes of Trump while the assessment of Freedom of the Press in the U.S. of A. has taken major hits during his tenure is the perfect oxymoronic irony.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-in-us-history

https://cpj.org/reports/2020/04/trum...ibility-leaks/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-and-the-truth

AND

https://trumphumanrightstracker.law.columbia.edu/

Where were all these "supposed" staunch supporters of the consitution when all of the above was going on?

Just more blather from those who are only upset about WHOM they wish to stifle not being on the current list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies