Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 07:10 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
The Feds didn't use the death penalty for 17 years, but it was reinstated under President Trump. Most likely, Biden/Harris will stop it again.

To me, the death penalty is about revenge, not justice.
Not revenge.. it is a deterrent. You choose to kill and take the lives of the innocents and that could include anyone , I say the death penalty is what it should be. Death for not respecting others as they snuffed their lives out. I am in the corner of the innocents and those whose lives will never be the same for their loss of a loved one .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 07:11 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
I am really on the fence about the death penalty, but last night I watched the Netflix documentary about Richard Ramirez (Night Stalker) and I have to say I was upset that he died of natural causes with a huge fan base that loved him instead of being in terror in the gas chamber like he deserved. Some people deserve that ultimate punishment. He certainly did.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Not revenge.. it is a deterrent. You choose to kill and take the lives of the innocents and that could include anyone , I say the death penalty is what it should be. Death for not respecting others as they snuffed their lives out. I am in the corner of the innocents and those whose lives will never be the same for their loss of a loved one .
Sorry, but there is zero evidence that the DP serves as a deterrent. Zero. Nada.

Please rethink this and try to join the civilized world

Old 01-22-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I am really on the fence about the death penalty, but last night I watched the Netflix documentary about Richard Ramirez (Night Stalker) and I have to say I was upset that he died of natural causes with a huge fan base that loved him instead of being in terror in the gas chamber like he deserved. Some people deserve that ultimate punishment. He certainly did.

Sorry, but it is not for me or you to determine who "deserves" the DP. At times I feel like anyone who is not handicapped but parks in a handicapped spot should be shot on site, but once I get over the anger, I realize that is not a good idea.

Please join the civilized world.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but it is not for me or you to determine who "deserves" the DP. At times I feel like anyone who is not handicapped but parks in a handicapped spot should be shot on site, but once I get over the anger, I realize that is not a good idea.

Please join the civilized world.
Of course it is up to people to determine as a jury of his peers sentenced Ramirez to 19 death penalty counts. Unfortunately the state of California never got around to executing the sentence. The guy died with a huge fan base and as a celebrity, yet he tortured, raped, stabbed, and/or beat people to death in their homes (including senior citizens), and abducted very young boys and girls and raped them frequently. The dude was a savage evil person who in no way deserved people’s admiration. Call it revenge if you want, but my wish is that the woman whose husband was murdered by Ramirez before he raped her and then was helpless while he sodomized her 8-year old son deserved to see him get the ultimate punishment for what he did.

Last edited by katygirl68; 01-22-2021 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 AM

Oh, and I finally read what Corey Johnson did and he deserved the ultimate punishment too. His lawyers’ argument that he was too stupid to get the death penalty just irritates me. So now all stupid people get a different sentence that smart people?

Old 01-22-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Oh, and I finally read what Corey Johnson did and he deserved the ultimate punishment too. His lawyers’ argument that he was too stupid to get the death penalty just irritates me. So now all stupid people get a different sentence that smart people?
Sorry, but no matter how savage the crime may be, civilized nations and people do not see any benefit or honor in government sanctioned murder. It just puts us on the same level as the criminal in question.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but no matter how savage the crime may be, civilized nations and people do not see any benefit or honor in government sanctioned murder. It just puts us on the same level as the criminal in question.
I would at least want the serial killers who somehow have a fan base to be executed because I don’t believe in hell and they need to be punished. They don’t need the celebrity.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:39 AM

703 posts, read 446,528 times
Quote:

Well put, and the viewpoint of most, if not all of the Western World. I don't know America, and I would never visit a country that practices the death penalty, which is a shame, and this from supposedly the leading power in the world.
Given that innocent people have been executed in the UK and I have no doubt they have in the US, is it ok then to murder the odd innocent as long as the guilty are killed? And if an innocent is killed by the State who is held to account? As far as I can make out (please correct me if I am wrong) the Supreme Court is reluctant to accept new evidence appertaining to a case where the convicted is dead!!
The role of government is to set an example and bring criminals to justice. If a person kills he/she should be removed from society - i.e. jailed and the government retains it's credibility in leading by example.
By resorting to premeditated murder it's going down the road the murderer took.
There are no coherent defences for State killing, only imagined ones that spring from a gut desire for revenge.
This is the 21st Century - not the 17th.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:42 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
The Feds executed 52 year old Cory Johnson, who was convicted of murdering 7 people in 1992. Here's a link to the details:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/drug-deal...044501074.html
Good to see. The sentence was merited and carried out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies