Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 11:15 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Something something We hold these truths to be self-evident, something something that all men are created equal, something something that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, something something that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Or does that not count?
That's the Declaration of Independence, and it's self-explanatory. Anyone can "pursue" happiness or whatever outcome they want. That doesn't mean they're guaranteed a specific outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 11:17 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Something something We hold these truths to be self-evident, something something that all men are created equal, something something that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, something something that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Or does that not count?
It counts if you are justifying independence from a King who thinks he was born superior and a classist government who think they are the sole determiners of your rights.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:20 AM

853 posts, read 337,346 times
So a five page thread attacking the intellectual and legal base for equality, and which tacitly justifies racism without saying the quiet part out loud, is as city-data as it gets. Stormfront for polite people.

Last edited by Somnifor; 01-27-2021 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-27-2021, 11:21 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It counts if you are justifying independence from a King who thinks he was born superior and a classist government who think they are the sole determiners of your rights.
Which is where we are now. Right back where we started with a political class, their connected elite and bureaucracy that think they're ROYALTY.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:22 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Okay, I can't find it, but where in the U.S. Constitution is the term Racial Equity found?

The US Constitution doesn't mean anything anymore.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:22 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
It doesn't matter who you are descended from. Most of the white people in the south are also descended from traitors.
America belongs to the people who live in it. You don't get any special rights because your family has been here for a long time. It isn't "their" country. That is the problem. Right wing white people think they are special snow flakes who think they should have more power than anyone else because it is somehow "theirs".
It's not about "been here for a long time." ( After all, the descendants of slaves "have been here for a long time" as well.)
You are not paying attention at what I've said earlier, do you?

Quote:
Some of my ancestors came to Massachusetts in the Winthrop fleet of 1630, fought in the revolution and the civil war. Personally I think most of you have no idea what liberty and democracy really mean. Now that you are outnumbered you want to put an end to democracy. We saw that on January 6th.
I am not a "white old right winger" - far away from it.

I am only pointing to you at the ORIGINAL owners/creators of this country, from whom the "left" is trying to completely hijack it.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Let me be blunt here;

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,"

refers to the abolition of the belief that people are BORN UNEQUAL - i.e. divided into the class of "commoners" and aristocracy.
An important issue, particularly when we are talking about such country as England, where the "founding fathers" ( or their ancestors) came from.
So this "equality" stated in Constitution was not referring to "racial equality" - not really.
After all, the "founding fathers" were all white and all English.
Agree. The left are taking it out context and misconstruing it and worse for political purposes. The aristocrats, gentry, and officers in Britain leave alone the King would consider themselves superior to their counterparts in the Colonies. Even if you expanded the concept from all upper class English are "equal" to everyone else, it still is an expansion and doesn't mean equality in everything or especially not equal outcomes.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:28 AM

21,935 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In America, I thought we all were equal and our outcome was based the amount of effort we put into getting where we want to be. Apparently, we have a new set of rules.
We do have a different set of rules now.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:30 AM

853 posts, read 337,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's not about "been here for a long time." ( After all, the descendants of slaves "have been here for a long time" as well.)
You are not paying attention at what I've said earlier, do you?

I am not a "white old right winger" - far away from it.

I am only pointing to you at the ORIGINAL owners/creators of this country, from whom the "left" is trying to completely hijack it.
I paid attention to what you said, I just don't agree with it. You are only you. You don't get any credit for what your ancestors did. The white people who live in America today did not build America, a bunch of dead people did. Right wingers are just living in this country like the rest of us. They don't have any special rights.

The living get to define what America is, not the dead of the past. That is how it has always been. It is why America becomes a different country with every new generation. If living Americans want to turn this into a left wing country then that is what it is going to be. The previous generations don't get a vote. FDR tried to turn America into a social democracy and failed, the left is rising because there is a new generation that wants to try again, because the current system isn't giving them good lives. The dead don't have any right to stop them.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Agree. The left are taking it out context and misconstruing it and worse for political purposes. The aristocrats, gentry, and officers in Britain leave alone the King would consider themselves superior to their counterparts in the Colonies. Even if you expanded the concept from all upper class English are "equal" to everyone else, it still is an expansion and doesn't mean equality in everything or especially not equal outcomes.
So people are not all created equal???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies