Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:44 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Your video reinforces the OP’s point. If the Dr. is wearing six masks, the air exchange is happening around the edges of the mask.

These demonstrations annoy me. Your body will attempt to maintain ~95% O2-sat. The harder you make it for it the less pleasant it is for you, but it will do it's best. Panting and difficulty will increase but dang that 95% will hover in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 08:46 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'm not wearing 2 masks. In fact I wasn't even wearing one yesterday. We should be talking about taking masks off, not wearing more of them. Once I'm vaccinated, that's it. It comes off unless I'm paid to keep it on.
You do you. Hope you don't get COVID. It's not something you want to get.

Air molecules are smaller than virus particles, which are smaller than virus particles suspended in droplets. And virus particles suspended in droplets are most of the virus one might encounter. So a 3+ply mask, or two masks, reduces the risk of those droplets with virus entering your nose or mouth.

It is NOT a 100% preventative. NOTHING IN LIFE IS. But we are surrounded by things we do every day to reduce risk. During the pandemic, wearing a mask reduces risk.

Wearing a mask also reduces the risk that you throw out virus - often encased in droplets - to the outside environment.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:04 AM

4,902 posts, read 3,363,072 times
Even with just one cloth mask, I can feel it hard to breathe at times.

And they want people to wear more than one mask*&!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
These demonstrations annoy me. Your body will attempt to maintain ~95% O2-sat. The harder you make it for it the less pleasant it is for you, but it will do it's best. Panting and difficulty will increase but dang that 95% will hover in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

Air molecules are smaller than virus particles, which are smaller than virus particles suspended in droplets. And virus particles suspended in droplets are most of the virus one might encounter. So a 3+ply mask, or two masks, reduces the risk of those droplets with virus entering your nose or mouth.

It is NOT a 100% preventative. NOTHING IN LIFE IS. But we are surrounded by things we do every day to reduce risk. During the pandemic, wearing a mask reduces risk.

Wearing a mask also reduces the risk that you throw out virus - often encased in droplets - to the outside environment.
Yes, wearing a mask can help stop the bigger particles and droplets from reaching another person. I think most people get this, and most people are actually wearing masks. Two (or more) though, isn’t going to make much of a difference, given that air is still being exchanged around the edges of the masks. Unless a person IS restricting their breathing, two masks amounts to not much more than a virtual signal, like mentioned in the first quote here.

If people out there want to wear two and it makes them feel better, then more power to them. Just don’t start thinking yourself superior or expecting everyone to join you.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Even with just one cloth mask, I can feel it hard to breathe at times.

And they want people to wear more than one mask*&!
I used to wear a triple folded cotton bandanas. Since I have a small face, I had to overlap the sides making for NINE layers of cotton over my nose. Could not breathe, but if two masks are better imagine how "safe" nine layers of cotton would be? Of course if you are not breathing, you won't be catching COVID.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:20 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
If you could breathe normally with a mask on vs one without, then the mask is worthless. So it's clear that masks obstruct airflow, and also means you breath some of your exhaled C02, otherwise it's not working.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Update: In addition to wearing the additional mask, the CDC has also recommended wearing a separate nose filter. These small round filters are easily slipped on over your head and fit snuggly against your nose. They come in many different colors, however most are red. Throw on a pair of over-sized pants and shoes for extra protection. Also, a small flower on your lapel that squirts water will ensure you can keep other people at least 6 feet away from you at all times!

Note: These are not actually CDC guidelines.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

There is no real-world data from our country, the rest of latin America, or W. Europe showing mask mandates are reducing the spread of Covid19.

None.

What we have are some experiments done in perfect laboratory environments, suggesting certain masks when worn properly reduce the flow of particles containing droplets in the size of the cov-2 particle.

So while common sense says masks do something, we don't know how much they're doing. And these mask mandates, where people wear reusable masks throughout the day, constantly touching and removing them - is probably making things worse. Masks get dirty. Masks get covered in pathogens. And you put that over your face?

Old 02-11-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I used to wear a triple folded cotton bandanas. Since I have a small face, I had to overlap the sides making for NINE layers of cotton over my nose. Could not breathe, but if two masks are better imagine how "safe" nine layers of cotton would be? Of course if you are not breathing, you won't be catching COVID.
Cotton is quite loose in its weave compared to manufactured masks. No one is recommending bandanas or regular cloth coverings as effective.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
There is no real-world data from our country, the rest of latin America, or W. Europe showing mask mandates are reducing the spread of Covid19.

None.

What we have are some experiments done in perfect laboratory environments, suggesting certain masks when worn properly reduce the flow of particles containing droplets in the size of the cov-2 particle.

So while common sense says masks do something, we don't know how much they're doing. And these mask mandates, where people wear reusable masks throughout the day, constantly touching and removing them - is probably making things worse. Masks get dirty. Masks get covered in pathogens. And you put that over your face?
The virus dies relatively quickly once on a surface. There is now enough mask inventory that you can dispose of a mask daily, if that floats your boat. You cannot be simultaneously worried about "pathogens" and laissez-faire over COVID.

The over-arching problem here is "you can't make me!" It's childish behavior against a global pandemic. It was driven by politicizing the wearing of masks, especially in America. If you wear shirt and shoes to go into a store, surely you can wear a mask.

For a pandemic that has killed 450,000 Americans so far, I'm in favor of masks whether they provide 90% protection or 25% protection. Both numbers are better than zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies