Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:59 PM

8,172 posts, read 3,717,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I'm not impressed with Taiwan's numbers, as all of east Asia is low. Laos and Cambodia reported 0 deaths. Vietnam is also very very low. So is Mongolia and China.

The only consistency among them is they all locked down quickly because China is their neighbor. Masks don't seem to be the factor. Europe tried masks, and it didn't work for them. California tried masks, it also didn't work for them.

It seems when the virus reaches a critical point, masks no longer work.

Case in point, Japan. The Japanese were wearing masks higher in numbers than the other asian populations before this pandemic. But their borders were relatively more open, and now even with masks, their cases exploded like 1-2 months ago.
So your argument is that Taiwan did not do a good job, because other countries also did a good job? That's a good one, lol.

Explosion of cases in Japan? Ok, would you like to compare cases and deaths per capita in Japan to those in US? I'll wait.

P.S. As a heads up, the next comparison will involve the population density and the number of subway rides in Tokyo, compared to those of the ... Dakotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:00 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,124,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So your argument is that Taiwan did not do a good job, because other countries also did a good job? That's a good one, lol.

Explosion of cases in Japan? Ok, would you like to compare cases and deaths per capita in Japan to those in US? I'll wait.
My argument is Taiwan did not do well relative to their region, and that their success is not due to masks, but rather early lockdowns.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:46 PM

37,184 posts, read 41,391,387 times
Quote:
I went to W. Europe this November/December 2020. And you have the same dichotomy, those who think masks are stupid, and those who don't. It's not as politicized, but it's there. Not just in America.

In reality, wearing masks is having no effect. Why? Because no one gets Covid19 from passing a stranger on the street. Regardless whether that stranger has a mask on or not. You get Covid19 from your wife, from your kids, from your friends, usually inside your home or their home. When none of you will be wearing a mask because hell, it's life, and you got to live sometime.
How did the virus get into those homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
All I need to know is that if I am wearing a mask and am exposed to someone with Co-Vid I am still required to quarantine. It won't matter if I am wearing two masks either.

That requirement itself proves what the CDC really thinks about masks and their ability to protect one from Co-Vid 19.
No one expects masks to 100% prevent transmission of the virus.

Quote:
No. For most people, a staph infection will be far far far worse than Covid.
Nowhere as many people die from staph infections, even the antibiotic resistant staph.

Quote:
Through their friends, or people they're in close intimate contact with. Kids, in school.
Where did those contacts catch it?

Old 02-11-2021, 10:48 PM

4,435 posts, read 1,726,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countysquare View Post
...impossible to push air through with direct lip contact even under tremendous pressure.

So you're going to welcome the CDC's new guidelines:
“...wear one disposable mask underneath a cloth mask.”

“The second mask should push the edges of the inner mask against your face,....”
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ive-masks.html

That means they want a second, cloth, mask to push the more gas impermeable one over your vital airways.

What could go even more wrong for you?
I double-masked all day yesterday and today. The biggest advantage for me is that it keeps my glasses from fogging up.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:43 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,481,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
Gee um Doctors, Nurses and Surgeons wear them all day every day. Somehow they don't have a problem.

When we recently received our vaccination, the nurse who administered our shot wore only a paper procedural mask; however, the two doctors who were monitoring everyone post-vaccination, each wore two masks.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:09 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,298,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

When we recently received our vaccination, the nurse who administered our shot wore only a paper procedural mask; however, the two doctors who were monitoring everyone post-vaccination, each wore two masks.
That's why I'm not a doctor or a nurse

Old 02-12-2021, 05:40 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,124,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How did the virus get into those homes?
From other households?

Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,293,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Beyond stupid. Enough already. I’m not wearing two masks and no one I know will do it. Sane people will refuse.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:42 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,100,825 times
a year after the pandemic began, half a million people dead and the CDC has gone from no masks were necessary to now they are telling you to wear 2 masks?

If you can't figure out they have no idea what they're doing, there is no hope for you.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:57 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,286,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
a year after the pandemic began, half a million people dead and the CDC has gone from no masks were necessary to now they are telling you to wear 2 masks?

If you can't figure out they have no idea what they're doing, there is no hope for you.
Long debunked. At the time, masks were in very short supply, and the idea of asymptomatic spread wasn't nearly as apparent. So in the first couple of months, the idea was to leave the masks to the medical workers so they'd have a supply.

That's the amazing thing about science: It changes approach with new and evolving evidence. It doesn't rely on conspiracy theories on backwater internet sites or YouTube videos by supposed "experts" or anecdotal data like "I have a friend whose sister's hairdresser's cousin said..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies