Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 04:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The nation is growing and Californians are moving out in droves to other states, increasing demands on utilities. Electric cars are starting to go mainstream which are projected to increase power usage 28%. At the same time, we have Biden's Federal regulations pushing towards disallowing any new fossil fuel power sources, and enviro's pushing for the removal of hydro-electric dams from the rivers.
What could possibly go wrong?

Enjoy your outages and rolling blackouts, it's just the beginning.
So point to something right now thats led to this other then Texas wanting to avoid federal regulation, and the benefits of a federal power supply that would allow them t use electrical interconnects to supply power?

Because heres some other fun things-while you claim people are moving there, the population growth is in fact fairly stable, ad can easily be accounted for. Yes Electric cars will use power, but also more efficient power generation, and more efficient household usage of power makes a difference too.

Electric cars will use 28% I suspect once everyone has them. We got a few decades for that, but you sure seem to want to blame them for a problem occuring right now.

What a bunch of nonsense.

And know whats really pushing the ol coal plants down? The price of natural gas. But you act like its the big mean of green energy folks, and not the harsh hand of capitalism. Hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 04:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Just seeing a news clip about a massive apartment fire that seems to be from a natural gas leak as the tenants got warned just before the fire to shut off their water heaters and I'm thinking they'd only do that if it was a gas leak. The hits just keep on coming for them.

The calamity hitting Texas at this moment defies all rational boundaries of understanding. We have many friends there from our snowbirding RV'ing forays into that state. They're all being pretty stoic about this as per "we'll get through this", but reserve no amount of scorn for their elected officials and power provider managers.

Our hearts go out to them.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:29 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Just seeing a news clip about a massive apartment fire that seems to be from a natural gas leak as the tenants got warned just before the fire to shut off their water heaters and I'm thinking they'd only do that if it was a gas leak. The hits just keep on coming for them.

The calamity hitting Texas at this moment defies all rational boundaries of understanding. We have many friends there from our snowbirding RV'ing forays into that state. They're all being pretty stoic about this as per "we'll get through this", but reserve no amount of scorn for their elected officials and power provider managers.

Our hearts go out to them.
I have a cousin in Houston. Her power came back on this morning. Thank you Jesus.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:32 PM

431 posts, read 257,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Hopefully Texans start to re-examine their deregulated all profit for the Rich mindset and get up to the standards of 2021. Not live back in the King/Peasant mindset. Unfortunately, they probably won't though. A year from now it will still be the "Yee Haw!!! Gimme muhh Guns!" "We don'tt need no Griddd der" "Dat Senator Tom Cruiiiiseee he a good mann!"
Man, I don't know what sewer you crawled out of off but if you think we're peasants here, you must be jester where you live, pompous azz. By the way....yippee ki yay %$#&*%&#

Old 02-19-2021, 04:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I have a cousin in Houston. Her power came back on this morning. Thank you Jesus.
Indeed.

My earlier post about this was the paradox of just one state to the west a bunch of people were lauding the successful landing of another vehicle on Mars and who knows how many people have, and will yet die, as a result of this fiasco in Texas.

The one couple we talked with, slept in their car overnight with the engine running and although it's a somewhat newer car, that is something unheard of vis-a-vis the safety aspect, especially for people in their seventies.

Families with young children, the elderly singles living alone, disabled people who find life challenging at the best of times, the homeless, - - gads - it's unimaginable to think of this all caused by a sudden significant drop in temperature with some snowfall thrown in.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:42 PM

291 posts, read 109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
2. Texas has been under Republican control for over 20 years. That mean the decision to remove Texas from the national energy grid to avoid regulation falls on Republicans. Nothing at all to do with the Green New Deal.

those arent republicans, those are rhinos.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The bolded is what went wrong. And those coal and gas plants were mothballed due to Federal regulations on emissions. There was a letter from the Biden admin which temporarily lifted the emissions limits to allow ERCOT to bolster their output, but it wasn't enough. You would think there would be enough brains to know we can't flip the off switch on fossil fuel energy until we've completely replaced that output with renewables, RELIABLE RENEWABLES that aren't idled by darkness and lack of wind, but I guess that is asking too much.
Federal Regulations ... that is exactly why Texas is under a Boil Water edict.

I have no problem with that ... I sure don’t want Bacteria in my drinking water due to Bacteria.
The EPA Regulation kicks in over the measurements and f water pressure.
S there some reason that Leftists can’t figure out how o Boil Water for 5 minutes?
Apparently so.

People drip water to avoid frozen pipes, people have frozen pipes that burst and cause problems.
Bottom Line .... it has nothing to do with Politics, although Leftist Media is push g that idea HARD

Old 02-19-2021, 06:03 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,106 times
They need power to even read this *lol*

Old 02-19-2021, 06:55 PM

431 posts, read 257,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
Are you here attempting to boil water not knowing if the electricity will fail during the boiling because I am. We don’t need comments from the peanut gallery. This was a failure of the GOP and their ridiculous ideas about what’s necessary for the people to be safe. Republicans here have mastered the art of running from problems.
Man, you guys are really loving gloating over this as if it's some type of political win for your fragile ego. It's Friday night, it's over, we're fine. Let's have a beer and wait for summer so you can blame politics for how hot it is here.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:26 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556senditTX View Post
I'm in Utah but drove home to visit family and friends. Brought them food. Everybody was fine, but I guess Its not Austin where a light rain will trigger chaos. Was nice because I have snow tires on my truck which I normally would have had to take off before driving to hill country.

I always laugh at these type post. Come to Texas in July when it's a 105 degrees you boys run home with your tail tucked. I have been to Minneapolis in the winter and experience 116 degrees during a Las Vegas Summer. I am not built for either but respect those who thrive in those environments. Being good in one typically means you suffer in the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies