Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 10:30 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countysquare View Post
The Green New Deal is a dirty phrase in Texas now. That's how the cow ate the cabbage.

Ted is a United States Senator. He doesn't run power grids.
The only thing Ted runs is his mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, you appear to be delusional, considering this was a massive failure on all levels. Accompanied by a large number of lies. As I said, the two small parts of TX that are NOT part of the state grid performed well in this "unprecedented event". Guess what, they did learn after the Super bowl storm fiasco.

I'm not fine. And many millions are not fine either. Next.
Every year flash flooding in bellaire is aldo unprecedented for them. But they are fine. Brcause its texas.

I lived all the timein texas while in america while visiting few cities outside. If you tell them el segundo or richmond is nicer than texas city, they still say they dont want want regulation and prefer to be like texas city.

Texas ( and houston) is still great, but not some texan republican voters. They just cant stand anything against thier ideology, very much like loyal muslims.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:38 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
My son lives in Austin, TX. Power went out in his apartment at midnight Sunday (early morning Monday) Central time.

It's still out.

He texted me yesterday morn to say that the temperature in his apartment was 41F. No lights, no heat, no TV etc. He and his roomie would go to their cars occasionally to warm up and charge their cell phones. I advised him that if they started the car and drove around for at least half an hour to keep the car's battery fully charged, they could let the heater run as hot as it would go, and repeat the process indefinitely as long as they kept buying gasoline.

He and his roommate finally went to his roommate's sister's house, in one of the sections of Austin that still has power on, says she's happy to let them stay as long as they need to. She's a trooper.

Austin's "outage map" still shows the power in his neighborhood is cut off.
Fuel’s in short supply and I think groceries are getting there too. Deliveries are basically at a halt now that the snow is gone and we are left with ice. I gassed up a couple of days ago and it was a good thing I did; I encountered stations without fuel even then.
My son is puzzled by finding so many grocery stores' shelves cleaned out and empty. He understands that deliveries to the stores have been disrupted by the snow and ice, but he asked me this evening, "Don't people know they only have to wait until Saturday? Why do they act like it's the end of the world?"

Told him that people are probably remembering the empty shelves at the beginning of the pandemic, when nobody knew how long it would last and they suspected (correctly) that it would get worse before it got better.

Of course, they are the ones making things worse now, by their own actions. If they'd just get enough groceries etc. to last four or five days, deliveries would very likely be up to speed again, and the shelves would never really empty before new stock would arrive and nobody would ever find the shelves cleaned out. But if they suddenly bought three months' worth when deliveries were going to be interrupted for three or four more days, it would take three months' worth of deliveries before the shelves were full to their normal levels again.

Sigh.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:19 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,186 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Is it though ? Is it really wise, for first Finland, then all the other countries that utilize or will utilize nuclear power to bury this highly dangerous waste deep in our planet ? And the Finland site isn't open as of yet...it's a still a few years off.
They are currently just keeping waste in containers placed in storage pools. and only the Finns have any idea what to do with it, and the Finns solution is just a vast expensive underground cavern that will be sealed off for thousands of years.

The UK is currently closing it's older reactors and building or planning major new reactors at Sizewell C, Hinkley C, Bradwell B and the Moorside at Sellafield clean energy hub that will create an energy hub that would produce electricity and hydrogen through the use of nuclear power and renewable energy.

Rolls Royce (Engines) are also planning 16 smaller mini nuclear power stations, which will be more effective and produce a lot less waste materials.

Rolls-Royce plans 16 mini-nuclear plants for UK - BBC News (2020)

There is also now a race togenerate hydrogen directly from offshore wind, and to store it for use.

The global race to produce hydrogen offshore - BBC News (Feb 2021)

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-18-2021 at 11:43 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 12:05 AM

24,641 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Did Californians blame incompetent Democrat politicians who poorly managed their state forests for the massive wildfires? Did New Yorkers blame the Democrats for the Hurrance Sandy fiasco?

Its funny that Republicans are to blame for extreme weather events but Democrats are NEVER to blame.

Likewise, the same people upset at Ted Cruz were nowhere to be found when the dozens of Democrats refused to share in the hardships of the COVID restrictions and violated their own rules and recommendations.
Well stated and agreed.

The notion that Texas will become gun restricting, religion hating, abortion loving, and global warming liberals over one power outage is pretty funny.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:15 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
My son is puzzled by finding so many grocery stores' shelves cleaned out and empty. He understands that deliveries to the stores have been disrupted by the snow and ice, but he asked me this evening, "Don't people know they only have to wait until Saturday? Why do they act like it's the end of the world?"

Told him that people are probably remembering the empty shelves at the beginning of the pandemic, when nobody knew how long it would last and they suspected (correctly) that it would get worse before it got better.

Of course, they are the ones making things worse now, by their own actions. If they'd just get enough groceries etc. to last four or five days, deliveries would very likely be up to speed again, and the shelves would never really empty before new stock would arrive and nobody would ever find the shelves cleaned out. But if they suddenly bought three months' worth when deliveries were going to be interrupted for three or four more days, it would take three months' worth of deliveries before the shelves were full to their normal levels again.

Sigh.
I bought, on Sunday, enough to last through tomorrow, because at that time the forecast called for a solid thaw to have started by Wednesday. WRONG! I’ll probably now be a hoarder next time around, too, unfortunately, because today is actually worse getting around than previous days now that the snow is gone and it’s just ice on the roads.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:20 AM

24,641 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Because price gouging is illegal, so anyone can buy as much toilet paper and bread as they want.

Now if America removed the price restrictions during natural disasters, hoarding would be a lot less common. Karen wouldn’t be able to buy 60 rolls of toilet paper because she can’t afford it.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:23 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,473 times
I bet they feel cold

Old 02-19-2021, 04:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:

Everyone, regardless of where they live, should keep 5-7 days of bottled water and nonperishable food on hand at all times. And cash. And fill up their cars with gas at the halfway point. All of these things easily prevent a lot of problems.

I bought my weekly groceries last Thursday and there was almost nobody in the store. Didn't need any water because I already had it. On Sat and Sun, my social media feed was full of posts showing lines at HEB. We all knew this forecast a week in advance, why did everybody wait?

Moreover, people can't seem to think outside of the box on replacing supplies. Asian grocery stores and Michocanas, which are common in most large Texas cities, often have produce and dairy available. I ordered from my local produce company yesterday and it's being delivered today (including milk and eggs). I placed an Instacart order to Costco yesterday at 2 pm and had it by 5 pm. The only thing they didn't have was the bread I ordered, but I got chips, snacks, cheese etc.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:06 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was watching a brief news clip and I saw the Texas governor blame the current situation on the "green new deal." Here are some facts:

1. The Green New Deal is only talk at this point. It hasn't been submitted to Congress, voted, on etc. It's just ideas that have nothing to do with Texas.
2. Texas has been under Republican control for over 20 years. That mean the decision to remove Texas from the national energy grid to avoid regulation falls on Republicans. Nothing at all to do with the Green New Deal.
3. Ted Cruz said "F" you and jetted off to heat, water, and warmth in Mexico. He's only returning because he was shamed into it.

So, knowing that folks are lying to your face about why nearly the entire state doesn't have power (and now water), are you going to hold the right people accountable or are you going to accept what YOU know to be lies and randomly blame AOC and Democrats?
Unless you have proof of your false accusations the case could be made you are lying in the face of everyone who sees your post !!! Actually doing what you are complaining about !!!
??? Did you know that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies