Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

Of course they didn’t. They run just fine in Antarctica. Why? No republicans there to screw up not winterizing them in case something like this happens even after they were given a WARNING in 2011 that they better do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Let me fix that for you, then - Gov. Abbott on Fox.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/s...66553998909442

And Rep. Dan Crenshaw:

https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/s...92731115380740

Glad we got that cleared up.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:17 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
The cause was inclement weather. I’ll be honest. The State and Utilities were negligent in regards to the amount of trees and greenery allowed to grow threatening transmission lines.

Environmentalists and common people were happy with the scenery, and I’ll admit, it can be very pretty at times, but we then found out the hard way.

After several incidents of long outages , the State and the Utilities had to react do to the outrage of the citizens. It was so bad , each and every home around here had to be reconnected by hand . After the fact, an aggressive tree cutting program was initiated, but not every where. Not too long ago, some areas of the state were without power for weeks. Again, a connection to other states is useless if the transmission lines in your town, neighborhood, and to your house are down.

But actually, to give credit where credit is due, the State here in CT does a tremendous job with winter .
Six inches of snow here usually means a few hours of inconvenience. Even 8-12 inches is cleared out in less than a day. Most all the roads are “ pre treated ”, even in my residential area on a dead end street. It was not that way years ago.

Here,in this state, we also had once in a 100 year massive flooding a little more than a decade ago. Negligence was the cause in his area. The Town addressed it and redid some of the fresh water movement to the river.

That’s all taxpayers ask for. Appropriate response to unfavorable conditions. I think this is really a “ Texas problem” that has been solved elsewhere to some degree.
We had a major event with the remnants of Hurricane Isabel in 03, a significant portion of the infrastructure was destroyed in central Virginia. They learned their lesson and have been very proactive since so that outages occur more because of environment than neglect of the maintenance. I don't argue that downed power lines negate any benefit of interstate connections but Texas has lost generating power due to frozen Natural Gas Pipelines and this isn't the first time. They maintain a power system that doesn't meet minimum federal standards and their actions are also affecting Mexico.

So Hubris aside if they had connections they could have secured additional power to get them through this and thats on them.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Default Texans, how do you feel?

I was watching a brief news clip and I saw the Texas governor blame the current situation on the "green new deal." Here are some facts:

1. The Green New Deal is only talk at this point. It hasn't been submitted to Congress, voted, on etc. It's just ideas that have nothing to do with Texas.
2. Texas has been under Republican control for over 20 years. That mean the decision to remove Texas from the national energy grid to avoid regulation falls on Republicans. Nothing at all to do with the Green New Deal.
3. Ted Cruz said "F" you and jetted off to heat, water, and warmth in Mexico. He's only returning because he was shamed into it.

So, knowing that folks are lying to your face about why nearly the entire state doesn't have power (and now water), are you going to hold the right people accountable or are you going to accept what YOU know to be lies and randomly blame AOC and Democrats?

Old 02-18-2021, 04:51 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Picking a fight? hahaha

This is going to get good...and fast

Old 02-18-2021, 04:52 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
LOL the answer to your question is easy, we all know who they will blame & its not the governor or Ted Cruz.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:54 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Well, our governor spreading fake news doesn't help the situation.

Otherwise, I'm fortunate to be just fine.

My biggest issue is they keep cancelling my flights.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:56 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Politicans will blame the other side just like they always do. This was a once in a 20 year storm that effected every county in Texas. It's like blaming a homeowner for not having a full house generator installed in his home. Sure it's a smart to have one but does using it once every other year make financial sense.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Juxtapose this with the fact the country is understandably proud over the Mars landing of "Perseverance" and one wonders how to justify the dichotomy.

People dying for lack of heat due to a flawed power grid not being maintained appropriately, even when warned on two previous occasions what would be the likely outcome if warnings were ignored and the same country has enough wealth to land yet another probe on Mars.

I'm confused.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:58 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was watching a brief news clip and I saw the Texas governor blame the current situation on the "green new deal." Here are some facts:

1. The Green New Deal is only talk at this point. It hasn't been submitted to Congress, voted, on etc. It's just ideas that have nothing to do with Texas.
2. Texas has been under Republican control for over 20 years. That mean the decision to remove Texas from the national energy grid to avoid regulation falls on Republicans. Nothing at all to do with the Green New Deal.
3. Ted Cruz said "F" you and jetted off to heat, water, and warmth in Mexico. He's only returning because he was shamed into it.

So, knowing that folks are lying to your face about why nearly the entire state doesn't have power (and now water), are you going to hold the right people accountable or are you going to accept what YOU know to be lies and randomly blame AOC and Democrats?
How do I feel?

Disrespected.

I’m tired of everyone picking a fight. Especially folks not in the thick of it.

All I want is for the damn ice to melt off the roads so I don’t have to worry about whether or not I can get some food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies