Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 03:31 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
Except within the confines of “ green energy” , included is the design , installation and maintenance required. If the technology is being hailed as a replacement , then it should replace what was previously in place. If the system that it replaces is more trustworthy, more durable and less prone to interruption, that makes the replacement system unfit to do the job.
What was more reliable? Natural gas, coal, and at least one nuclear unit facility were also shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 03:32 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Politics. Texas and Oklahoma are red states that are largely dependent on fossil fuel revenue, revenue that gets channeled into GOP politicians to fund election campaigns. They see green energy as a threat to their power base, their livelihoods, and the livelihoods of oil companies and their employees. That's why years ago the fossil companies funded the anti-climate change astroturf propaganda campaigns. Why did Trump bend over backwards to kiss up to Russia and Saudi Arabia? The are large oil and gas producers. Follow the money.
That is a total lie.

Up to 42% of Texas electricity comes from wind turbines.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:34 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

In short, the outages were caused mostly by shutdown of gas, coal, and nuclear energy sources.
The Wall Street Journal does not agree with you.

The problem is Texas’s overreliance on wind power that has left the grid more vulnerable to bad weather. Half of wind turbines froze last week, causing wind’s share of electricity to plunge to 8% from 42%. Power prices in the wholesale market spiked, and grid regulators on Friday warned of rolling blackouts. Natural gas and coal generators ramped up to cover the supply gap but couldn’t meet the surging demand for electricity—which half of households rely on for heating—even as many families powered up their gas furnaces. Then some gas wells and pipelines froze.

In short, there wasn’t sufficient baseload power from coal and nuclear to support the grid. Baseload power is needed to stabilize grid frequency amid changes in demand and supply. When there’s not enough baseload power, the grid gets unbalanced and power sources can fail. The more the grid relies on intermittent renewables like wind and solar, the more baseload power is needed to back them up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-pol...C5hByJJfz82jog

Old 02-17-2021, 03:37 PM

27,149 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02...rbines-frozen/

In short, the outages were caused mostly by shutdown of gas, coal, and nuclear energy sources.

This begs the question. Why do conservatives hate renewable energy so much? Why do they get such a hard-on for non-renewable sources? Do conservatives actually believe that we have unlimited supply of fossil fuel?

Slightly more that 1/3 lost reported here were the renewables, a substantial number.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:43 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Texas got completely blindsided with all that global warming snow.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Didn't Texas give California crap not long ago about their sorry Democratic run power grid?
Yes.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No.
Well, maybe just a little:

https://thehill.com/changing-america...ntroversy-over

But then, no one with any intelligence at all gives Cruz any credence over any topic he spouts about.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:34 PM

929 posts, read 304,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What was more reliable? Natural gas, coal, and at least one nuclear unit facility were also shut down.
When gathering additional information, and looking beyond the article , it appears that the non renewable sources inability to cover the gap contributed to the problem.

The article was poorly written, and my opinion was it was a hastily produced rebuttal without satisfactory foundation.

But beyond that, why are these green policies and movements making us rely on our weaknesses instead of strengths ? It doesn’t makes sense. With all the gas and oil in Texas , you don’t even need to bring it in . The plan is to reduce that product and switch to new construction, maintenance and disruption of wildlife and scenic beauty, and in this example, potential new problem? What the heck ?

It’s common sense. If I get into a physical altercation with an opponent, I use my strengths. That’s what this is. It is a fight for the American people tp get the most efficient, cheapest , and most reliable energy for their needs and well being.

So if I am getting an advantage over my opponent in a fight using my legs and feet, I don’t abandon it and switch to fisticuffs.

That’s’ what we are doing when we embrace what is fashionable and forget about the basics.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:10 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That is a total lie.

Up to 42% of Texas electricity comes from wind turbines.
Wind accounts for just 7 to 10 percent of the power in Texas generated during the winter. And the loss of power to their grid was caused by shutdowns of thermal power plants, primarily those relying on natural gas. Wind makes up just a fraction — 7 percent or so, by some estimates — of the state’s overall mix of power generation.

The state’s widespread electricity failure was largely caused by freezing natural gas pipelines. That didn’t stop advocates for fossil fuels from trying to shift blame.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-grid-failure/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/c...formation.html

Climate issues, power deficits and freezing families are not a partisan issue. Shame on Governor Abbott and the other Texan politicians for seizing on the misery of their constituents to make false claims to score phony points while avoiding their own responsibility and accountability.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-18-2021 at 04:29 AM..

Old 02-18-2021, 04:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
When gathering additional information, and looking beyond the article , it appears that the non renewable sources inability to cover the gap contributed to the problem.

The article was poorly written, and my opinion was it was a hastily produced rebuttal without satisfactory foundation.

But beyond that, why are these green policies and movements making us rely on our weaknesses instead of strengths ? It doesn’t makes sense. With all the gas and oil in Texas , you don’t even need to bring it in . The plan is to reduce that product and switch to new construction, maintenance and disruption of wildlife and scenic beauty, and in this example, potential new problem? What the heck ?

It’s common sense. If I get into a physical altercation with an opponent, I use my strengths. That’s what this is. It is a fight for the American people tp get the most efficient, cheapest , and most reliable energy for their needs and well being.

So if I am getting an advantage over my opponent in a fight using my legs and feet, I don’t abandon it and switch to fisticuffs.

That’s’ what we are doing when we embrace what is fashionable and forget about the basics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...#United_States

Cheapest is clearly wind and solar. Also, not sure why you think oil and gas is any more abundant in Texas than space, sun, and wind.

Also, where is the conversation about Texas operating a grid separate from the rest of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies