Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 10:20 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,301,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
All for it! Why? Because people with untreated mental illness are 16 times more likely to be killed by cops!?

https://www.treatmentadvocacycenter....w-enforcement-
BTW by all means let the liberal social worker handle all the EDP's. However they want it both ways. They want the cops in certain situations. In others they don't. They should handle every single one of them. I mean that way there will never be another shooting of a mentally deranged individual ever! It's a win win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 10:21 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Weve done that in a city South of here years ago. Its worked exceptionally well, and been very cost effective. The social workers arent going into tense situations, the cops still are. But they are responding with them for some calls, and handling situations that dont require a police officer.

If you mess with them though, the cops are going to be there. Its proven to be very cost effective, and led to a lot of goodwill in the city where its done.
Almost all of my use of force incidents in my LE career came from “routine” calls.

In another word, you never know when a “routine” harmless call for service turns deadly in a blink of an eye.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Almost all of my use of force incidents in my LE career came from “routine” calls.

In another word, you never know when a “routine” harmless call for service turns deadly in a blink of an eye.
Exactly. However they think they know everything because google told them so. I would love to see one of these libs in action!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Cops respond to 10's of millions of mental health calls a year. That is a fact. The numbers of shootings vs the amount of calls is staggering low. An attempt to say that cops are 16x more likely to shoot someone in these events knowing full well how explosive these situations are is nonsense. Most of these calls are the worst of the worst. So yeah the numbers are higher but are pretty dam low to begin with.
And also, the response is very local. Id argue that the vast majority of cops know how to handle these pretty well. And theres a couple places...not as much. And outside of poor training, and morons there are also going to be just some horrible mistakes.

But theres been some pretty messed up incidents lately. People are upset. And you save a thousand kittens, but the first one you back over gets you labeled as the cop who ran over a kitten. And if that happens enough, everyone thinks of cops as the "guys who run over kittens" despite billions of kittens rescued.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And also, the response is very local. Id argue that the vast majority of cops know how to handle these pretty well. And theres a couple places...not as much. And outside of poor training, and morons there are also going to be just some horrible mistakes.

But theres been some pretty messed up incidents lately. People are upset. And you save a thousand kittens, but the first one you back over gets you labeled as the cop who ran over a kitten. And if that happens enough, everyone thinks of cops as the "guys who run over kittens" despite billions of kittens rescued.
Reminds me of a joke... Punchline is pretty much...He's not Amos the horse tamer, he's not Amos the house builder, he's not Amos the knitter, but they caught him f****** one goat...

Quote:
Please tell us about your experiences handling mental health calls. There are millions of mental health calls that the cops respond to without incident. At least get your facts straight before spouting off.
I don't need experience. I can refer the hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers across peer nations to see the trend and spot the outliers. And those outliers are all American cops.

And deaths are just the tip of the iceberg in reviewing how cops deal with people having an episode. Deaths don't include the people cops shoot non-fatally, maim, or escalate to violence bc they don't know how to recognize an episode or talk to someone in any other tone than commands and threats.

And that all that reinforces the point I made before... It's absurd that "failure to comply" is both the definition of someone suffering a mental health episode and the justification for cops shooting them. We've effectively classified mental health episodes as capital crimes. Do you disagree with that?

Old 02-22-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Reminds me of a joke... Punchline is pretty much...He's not Amos the horse tamer, he's not Amos the house builder, he's not Amos the knitter, but they caught him f****** one goat...

I don't need experience. I can refer the hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers across peer nations to see the trend and spot the outliers. And those outliers are all American cops.

And deaths are just the tip of the iceberg in reviewing how cops deal with people having an episode. Deaths don't include the people cops shoot non-fatally, maim, or escalate to violence bc they don't know how to recognize an episode or talk to someone in any other tone than commands and threats.

And that all that reinforces the point I made before... It's absurd that "failure to comply" is both the definition of someone suffering a mental health episode and the justification for cops shooting them. We've effectively classified mental health episodes as capital crimes. Do you disagree with that?
Of course you do not need experience. You can google it and then pretend you are some kind of expert. Again 10's of millions of calls per year on the subject. Many of those calls are explosive and most are not simply failure to comply. Most are situations that the cop or a civilians life is in danger. However it would hurt you to admit that is the truth. Do you disagree with that?

Last edited by retiredcop111; 02-22-2021 at 11:02 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 10:50 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I'm interested in this approach and look forward to seeing the results

Old 02-22-2021, 11:00 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Not exactly on point, but this discussion highlights how we need get better in the U.S. at making mental health treatment available and accessible early in the disease's progression to minimize the situsations in which law enforcemenet even becomes the best option.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:14 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Of course you do not need experience. You can google it and then pretend you are some kind of expert. Again 10's of millions of calls per year on the subject. Many of those calls are explosive and most or not simply failure to comply. Most are situations that the cop or a civilians life is in danger. However it would hurt you to admit that is the truth. Do you disagree with that?
Most are not situations where a cop's life is in danger. That's the lie y'all put out there to cover your butts, like when 6 of y'all are dog piling someone and justify the taser and kicks by yelling "stop resisting." Y'all have been trained to place yourselves in compromising positions that also give you the jump if you feel the situation is going south. Y'all actively escalate confrontations for the sake of trumping up charges against people bc how else do you get people booked w/the only charge being "resisting arrest"?

Now that I've been honest about how little respect i have for how American cops operate, are you going to be honest about how your directive for deadly force puts you in direct conflict for responding to mental health episodes? What's so hard to about that you guys are not qualified in training or temperament to be the lead responders in those situations?

Old 02-22-2021, 11:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm interested in this approach and look forward to seeing the results
This has been done for years. CAHOOTS in Eugene, OR. Its saved them a ton of money, and seems to be popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies