Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Neither do actors, singers, dancers, politicians, song writers, book authors etc......
Exactly.

Pursuits outside of mere survival of the race is what separates us from the animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 10:30 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Exactly.

Pursuits outside of mere survival of the race is what separates us from the animals.
And I will spend my money on what I enjoy

Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
And I will spend my money on what I enjoy
But then you're not curing cancer with it. Bad, bad!

Old 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
But then you're not curing cancer with it. Bad, bad!
I donate

Old 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM

9,166 posts, read 6,208,590 times
If it bleeds, it leads.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I clearly know that but an athlete doesn’t do that. It’s the greedy rich people behind him did all that. Are you telling me Tiger Woods put together a sports event himself? Or at least, he invested his own money to finance it?
There would be no sporting events without the athletes. Their talent creates wealth not only for them, but for investors and everyone else involved in the sport. Same with TV, movies, novelists, the people who write crossword puzzle books, etc. etc. etc.

As to how sporting events "advance the human race", I'm going to paraphrase a quote from James T. Kirk; no doubt the writers of the episode paraphrased it from somewhere else:

The more complex the creature, the greater need for play.

Leisure activities such as watching sporting events and other form of entertainment take our minds off the grueling monotony of everyday life, which supports health and well-being. Would it be better to play golf than to watch it? Sure, but we can't be in motion every waking minute.

Quote:
Who makes a lot of money and is very talented, golf was a old mans sport till tiger won the masters at a very young age, he made golf cool among the younger population. Our schools golf team gained a lot of players.
Nevermind that he runs his own foundation and gives away millions in grants and scholarships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
However, this is just another example that 'news' now days is for entertainment and a tool to generate revenue that reaches the masses.
Celebrities always have been big news. That has not changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
The same could be asked about Bruce Springsteen (recently arrested for DUI), Cher, George Clooney, Ashley Judd, Taylor Swift and a whole host of other actors and musicians and who weigh in on political matters as if they have some special insight that Joe six packs like me don't have, when in fact, they don't know shiza from shoe polish.
You sound jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Life isn't always about doing things we need, the human race sometimes needs things that don't matter for our mental well being.
Exactly! I know I cannot run hurdles (anymore), execute a triple salchow, or complete a triathlon. So I watch events on TV because they are enjoyable, because it relaxes me, and because I need a break from everyday life.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How does that advance the human race? Does that cure cancer?

Thanks for proving my point - an athlete is just a puppet.
Your point is not proven.
If the sponsors etc. could use a puppet they would, it would be a lot cheaper
The public wants what they want. It's easier to create a movie star or pop singer, golf talent is pretty objective, measured by yards and inches etc. a demonstration of skill, not a performance.

Leisure time is one of the greatest advances of the human race. Finding pleasurable activities including sports to fill that time is a big part of human civilization since the days of the ancient Greek Olympics.
Given the popularity of golf, I would say that Tiger Woods is advancing the human race by promoting this healthy activity.

Isn't increasing happiness for millions of people advancing the human race?

Old 02-24-2021, 10:43 AM

1,362 posts, read 875,589 times
OP, there is a limitless amount of news and information and entertainment available right now. The question isn't why so-and-so is in the news, but why you chose to focus on that news and complain about it. That's your own personal deal.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:20 AM

2,774 posts, read 903,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There would be no sporting events without the athletes. Their talent creates wealth not only for them, but for investors and everyone else involved in the sport. Same with TV, movies, novelists, the people who write crossword puzzle books, etc. etc. etc.

As to how sporting events "advance the human race", I'm going to paraphrase a quote from James T. Kirk; no doubt the writers of the episode paraphrased it from somewhere else:

The more complex the creature, the greater need for play.

Leisure activities such as watching sporting events and other form of entertainment take our minds off the grueling monotony of everyday life, which supports health and well-being. Would it be better to play golf than to watch it? Sure, but we can't be in motion every waking minute.

Nevermind that he runs his own foundation and gives away millions in grants and scholarships.

Celebrities always have been big news. That has not changed.

You sound jealous.

Exactly! I know I cannot run hurdles (anymore), execute a triple salchow, or complete a triathlon. So I watch events on TV because they are enjoyable, because it relaxes me, and because I need a break from everyday life.
I'm not jealous because I'm not in grade school anymore. There isn't a lefty celebrity out there flapping their jaw about some big issue that I couldn't soundly put in the corner in a one on one debate. And I'm not saying I'm super smart, just that the folks I name and many I didn't name are actors and athletes, not well read people or necessarily intelligent people. Acting and athletics are a craft, not an academic field of study.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:24 AM

929 posts, read 304,703 times
It is front page news, because if it was on the back page ,where it belongs , no one might notice, which would be a disappointment to the Celebrity Worship class , and those who make profit from their clicks.

My prediction? He nodded off from the effects of his medication cocktail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies