Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 07:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Because he is part black.

"They don’t create, invest, or create wealth", actually they DO!
What wealth does an athlete create? A new way to hit a ball???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 07:40 AM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
We glorify sports and athletes way too much in this country, especially with regards to academics.
(I understand this can vary from place to place, in general I believe this is a correct statement)

My theory is that the culture of the US post WW2 was long rooted in the reality that you didn't need to be a nerd, poindexter, egg-head, geek etc. to make a good living. That train hasn't come to a crashing halt but it's certainly been screeching and slowing down in more recent years given how many jobs are either no longer here or no longer pay the same relative level of wages and benefits.

You routinely see the local paper all front-page gaga over the football team winning a big game or some kid scoring 30 points in a basketball game....and then has a little snippet a couple pages back about some kid getting a perfect ACT or a fat scholarship for academics or appointment to the naval academy.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Athletes give us entertainment and something to bond around. I would not call that "nothing", as those experiences are part of the human experience. We are made to connect and sports helps us do that. That being said, I can understand it being news but not necessarily front-page news. There are more important things going on in the world, but Tiger does have a following (although not like he used to have). How about second page news?
How does entertainment advance the human race? Does it cure the virus?

Old 02-24-2021, 07:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
I feel bad for the guy, his career is probably over for good now. Hope he can find peace and not spiral into a hell of pain killers and self-destruction

Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 AM

589 posts, read 300,404 times
Woods is front page news because 'news' now days is all about entertainment and popularity to generate revenue. Best thing you can do is just shut the main street media off. You don't need propaganda main street media controlling what to think since most people who listen to them don't have enough intuition to filter out the bs. Entertainers, athletes, celebrities are just people just like you and I, I boycotted them a long time ago. I don't understand how people idolize these people.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Woods is front page news because 'news' now days is all about entertainment and popularity to generate revenue. Best thing you can do is just shut the main street media off. You don't need propaganda main street media controlling what to think since most people who listen to them don't have enough intuition to filter out the bs. Entertainers, athletes, celebrities are just people just like you and I, I boycotted them a long time ago. I don't understand how people idolize these people.
True in general but I think if Woods had a fender bender it wouldn't make it past page 5. This was a pretty bad car wreck and Woods is in really bad shape. It's pretty bad

Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I clearly know that but an athlete doesn’t do that. It’s the greedy rich people behind him did all that. Are you telling me Tiger Woods put together a sports event himself? Or at least, he invested his own money to finance it?

The athlete is just a puppet.
Who makes a lot of money and is very talented, golf was a old mans sport till tiger won the masters at a very young age, he made golf cool among the younger population. Our schools golf team gained a lot of players.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
True in general but I think if Woods had a fender bender it wouldn't make it past page 5. This was a pretty bad car wreck and Woods is in really bad shape. It's pretty bad
Yes, most likely a career ending injuries, but it could have been far worse.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Who makes a lot of money and is very talented, golf was a old mans sport till tiger won the masters at a very young age, he made golf cool among the younger population. Our schools golf team gained a lot of players.
How does that advance the human race?

His money is from the fans and the greedy rich. What wealth does he create?

Old 02-24-2021, 08:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How does that advance the human race?

His money is from the fans and the greedy rich. What wealth does he create?
Why is everything about money and wealth to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies