Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to his mom, it's all the school's fault.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...s-with-013-gpa
I don’t grasp how a student who failed Spanish and Algebra 1 was promoted to Spanish and Algebra 2.

I don’t grasp how this mother was unaware her son had continuously failed most classes and was late / absent 272 days. Where was he?

The school and this parent failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 09:40 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
If you read the article, it is actually a fair point they're making to assume that if you go from Algebra I to Algebra II, that well, you probably aren't failing. This seems more a case of a school system that messed up, as opposed to solely individual responsibility issues.
Bingo...while this student obviously didn't try, as anyone can pass these classes if they just try, there is no reason he should have been promoted when he failed the first time.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:44 AM

761 posts, read 316,756 times
Sounds like the parent was just waiting on him to die or turn 18 so he isn’t her “problem” at all.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
How often did he request teacher guidance if he was struggling in courses?
Our school allowed students to have one free period to request special studies to improve their learning skills , usually peer to peer support to help the student . Or a teacher's aide.
It was ultimately the students responsibility to ask for help. The teacher no doubt addressed these concerns ea h marking period.
I think this mother is a source of the problem if she thinks the school failed.
According to the link, mother does not seem to grasp her role in the outcome.

Did she spend 4 years taking her son’s word that all was well?

The differences between the school records and mother’s , in terms of contact means someone is not being truthful. Did school administrators forge records or is mama lying or both?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:49 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Public schools, best bang for the buck out there

Old 03-03-2021, 09:58 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
both his mom and the school district are at fault here. They didn't do their jobs. This poor kid is screwed for life I can't help think its only a matter of time before he ends up in a jail cell or dead. Another human life wasted because well why? We didn't want to enforce curriculum and discipline for his entire time in school because of fears of racism, hurting the kids ego or just simple laziness on the part of the school system?

Perhaps no one just wants to take responsibility anymore for anything. i.e. not my responsibility to raise MY kid properly, not my responsibility to do MY job and teach him etc...

Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
There are no words to describe this situation.

Perhaps the US should give guardians/parents the option of some sort of pre-military school for students who show to be incompatible with the school system for whatever reasons. For example if a student’s GPA falls into the bottom 2-3% nationally — parents have the option of going the military route (assuming the child is physically and mentally healthy).

Perhaps a military compromised of capable people who would’ve otherwise fell into the prison system or drugs.

The actual military school part may cost society money but I bet it pays huge dividends with less drugs, murder, prison lifers, etc.
So, instead of a school-to-prison, we now have a school-to-war pipeline. How did that work out in Vietnam......?

What happened to the kid is a total systematic failure.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Public schools, best bang for the buck out there
Lol, yep. My public school district spends about $20k/student annually and has terrible results. Catholic schools in my area spend less than half that and have vastly better outcomes. Time to break the coddled teacher unions stranglehold on education. Vouchers time has come.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 AM

761 posts, read 316,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So, instead of a school-to-prison, we now have a school-to-war pipeline. How did that work out in Vietnam......?

What happened to the kid is a total systematic failure.
Why does incompatibility with school = war pipeline? Military does not equal war. A war is not an inherently evil thing.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lol, yep. My public school district spends about $20k/student annually and has terrible results. Catholic schools in my area spend less than half that and have vastly better outcomes. Time to break the coddled teacher unions stranglehold on education. Vouchers time has come.
Oddly people are clamoring to get their kids back in them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies