Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 12:50 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Exactly-

NO ONE has said how brining in millions of uneducated, illiterate, unskilled people into the country who cannot speak English benefits the nation.

So why in the hell are the dems trying to flood that nation with these individuals?

How do such people fit into an economy which demand more and more education and more "tech" skills?
I already made a UBI reference earlier, but if we're worried about automation taking jobs that can be automated, and putting people out of work, why bring in more unskilled workers??

It's because it's not about any but a blatant attempt at social engineering and getting new appreciative Democrat voters.

We're on a path of one party rule soon, maybe not now, but the Dems are playing the long game on this issue, every single thing they do can be muddled through and distilled down to a power grab sometime down the line.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It is an undeniable argument.

They very nature of jobs have changed.

Back then we needed lots of unskilled labor and agricultural workers.

We don't now.

And don't even pretend like you care about their effect on the jobs market and the economy.

All you want is more Democrat votes and more bodies in Democrat districts for the census.

All other consequences be damned.
You sure nailed it!!!

Old 03-15-2021, 04:05 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
Quote:

How does importing millions of uneducated, illiterate, unemployed people who do not speak English to the US make us a "better country"?

You are basically describing Democrats, of course they think its a good idea to important more people as

stupid as they are.
I did not say all before some clown tries to to play the "not all" defense that literally applies to everyone group imaginable.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:03 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
NO ONE has said how brining in millions of uneducated, illiterate, unskilled people into the country who cannot speak English benefits the nation.
I thought my first post in this thread should have made my answer to your question obvious, but I guess not. So here goes:

1. This is not the first time we have brought in millions of uneducated, illiterate and unskilled people into this country. The first time we did that, things worked out just fine.
2. The people coming from Latin America are not as uneducated, illiterate and unskilled as you claim they are. I posted statistics on this which you seem to have ignored. A lot of those Latin American immigrants - both illegal and legal - have plenty of skills in construction, various trades, as mechanics, etc. and are at least as literate as the immigrants who came here 150 years ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thus, your question is based on a false premise.

Strictly speaking, we have never "needed" to bring in any immigrants to the US at all. Even some of the Founding Fathers did not think we needed them. The reason we bring in immigrants is because 1) We want to and 2) There is demand for their labor.

Quote:
How do such people fit into an economy which demand more and more education and more "tech" skills?
This is a BS excuse, because right-wingers like you so often complain about H1B Visas and other skilled immigrants. No matter what immigrants we brought in, people like you would complain about them.

But as myself and others here have repeatedly pointed out, even in a high-tech world there is plenty of demand for agricultural labor, construction workers, fast food workers, janitors and maids, etc etc. So this complaint, too, is based on yet another false premise that a high-tech world only requires high-skilled people.

Last edited by James Bond 007; 03-15-2021 at 05:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 05:26 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The people coming from Latin America are not as uneducated, illiterate and unskilled === there is plenty of demand for agricultural labor, construction workers, fast food workers, janitors and maids, etc etc.
okee dokee

Old 03-15-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
okee dokee
Yup, okee dokee:
Quote:
And BTW, the notion that these Latin American immigrants are all illiterate is ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet the immigrants from Mexico and Central America these days have higher literacy rates (and possibly also educational levels) than European immigrants from 1850-1920.

Literacy rate by country
Mexico - 95.40%
Guatemala - 81.50%
Honduras - 87.20%
El Salvador - 88.50%

Even as recently as 1981 the literacy rate in Italy was 96.5%, which is little different from Mexico's current rate.
Quote:
Found a better source:

https://link.springer.com/article/10...201-6/tables/1

In 1880:

The literacy rate of Italy was 38.4%.
The literacy rate of France was 72.8%.
The literacy rate of Germany was 92.0%.
The literacy rate of Spain was 31.4%.
The literacy rate of the UK was 82.7%
Though it's not listed, you can be sure Ireland's was probably similar to Italy's or, at best, France's.

By comparison the US was 83.0%.

The best nation back then was more illiterate than Mexico is now.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:34 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,337 times
Quote:
Why are walls and fences required to "protect" our Capitol Building, but not the border?
Wait, are you saying that Trump didn't fulfill his promise to protect our borders? Four years and all the money he took from the pentagon and nothing to show for it? Well, that is disappointing.

I guess he spent too much time obsessing over Twitter posts.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:37 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
I thought my first post in this thread should have made my answer to your question obvious, but I guess not. So here goes:

1. This is not the first time we have brought in millions of uneducated, illiterate and unskilled people into this country. The first time we did that, things worked out just fine.
2. The people coming from Latin America are not as uneducated, illiterate and unskilled as you claim they are. I posted statistics on this which you seem to have ignored. A lot of those Latin American immigrants - both illegal and legal - have plenty of skills in construction, various trades, as mechanics, etc. and are at least as literate as the immigrants who came here 150 years ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thus, your question is based on a false premise.

Strictly speaking, we have never "needed" to bring in any immigrants to the US at all. Even some of the Founding Fathers did not think we needed them. The reason we bring in immigrants is because 1) We want to and 2) There is demand for their labor.

This is a BS excuse, because right-wingers like you so often complain about H1B Visas and other skilled immigrants. No matter what immigrants we brought in, people like you would complain about them.

But as myself and others here have repeatedly pointed out, even in a high-tech world there is plenty of demand for agricultural labor, construction workers, fast food workers, janitors and maids, etc etc. So this complaint, too, is based on yet another false premise that a high-tech world only requires high-skilled people.
Again, those people came in legally, with respect for American laws. In addition, they were eager to become Americans and adapt to them - starting with learning the language.

And we don’t need the illegals’ labor. The reason is seems we do is because liberals have made it more “profitable” for Americans to stay unemployed and collect benefits. Until we lower the benefits below that which people had formerly been earning, they won’t want to work. That’s the problem.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:38 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Wait, are you saying that Trump didn't fulfill his promise to protect our borders? Four years and all the money he took from the pentagon and nothing to show for it? Well, that is disappointing.

I guess he spent too much time obsessing over Twitter posts.
No, things were much more under control under Trump, despite the liberals’ efforts to make it easy for illegals to stream in. Now, within a few short weeks, Biden has allowed a crisis to develop.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Again, those people came in legally, with respect for American laws. In addition, they were eager to become Americans and adapt to them - starting with learning the language.
The Italians brought the Mafia with them. So much for your "respect for American laws."

Your comment about the language issue is so much right-wing propaganda.

As for the legal-vs-illegal issue, if a label that's stuck on the current batch is what bothers you, then simply legalize them.

Quote:
And we don’t need the illegals’ labor. The reason is seems we do is because liberals have made it more “profitable” for Americans to stay unemployed and collect benefits. Until we lower the benefits below that which people had formerly been earning, they won’t want to work. That’s the problem.
I just pointed out that all kinds of industries employ these people, and that their labor is in demand, and then you try to tell everyone they aren't employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies