Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 04:44 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Actually we do have jobs for them. They work in slaughterhouses, restaurant kitchens, landscaping, food harvesting, nursing aids, domestics. They do jobs that pay so little and involve so much hard work that native Americans will not touch them.

Companies who are supposed to screen for illegals find ways to skirt around doing so.

If all the immigrants went home tomorrow, we’d be in a pickle. If there was no work for them, they would not keep coming
There are a long line of people who want to come here.

If we kicked the people out who came here illegally, couldn't we just bring in as many as we needed? You know, people who want to come here legally?

Or, is your point that they would be too expensive if they were legal?

Is that why we should keep all of these people who broke our laws? So that we can keep underpaying them and not giving them benefits?

You make a pretty strong argument against giving amnesty.

I will have to give that some more thought.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Exactly.

If anyone ever doubts this, they need to look at some of the architecture that was built by these LEGAL immigrants at the time.

The quality and complexity of the work done by masons, woodworkers etc was simply outstanding and many modern skilled laborers today would be hard pressed to duplicate their work... especially done with the tools and technology of the day.

That type of skill is basically a lost art in America.
No, not exactly thats not how you measure literacy is not being proficient in English that has **** all to do with anything.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:22 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
It sounds to me that Immigration is quickly being framed as a wedge issue. It is not a very complex issue, the narrative warfare around it make it so that we constantly swing from "children in cages" to "the great replacement". Give people who ask for asylum a hearing, if it isnt the first country of refuge send them back, let people come in with work permits, tax who ever employs them to support a program to track and advocate for this people, if they cant stay employed let the permit runout. Amnesty is a bit more complicated I think you have a good start with DACA, maybe just green cards and no path to citizenship for people who have been here decades and have a proven record of being able to support themselves.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And BTW, the notion that these Latin American immigrants are all illiterate is ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet the immigrants from Mexico and Central America these days have higher literacy rates (and possibly also educational levels) than European immigrants from 1850-1920.

Literacy rate by country
Mexico - 95.40%
Guatemala - 81.50%
Honduras - 87.20%
El Salvador - 88.50%

Even as recently as 1981 the literacy rate in Italy was 96.5%, which is little different from Mexico's current rate.

I would not trust Literacy numbers from Mexico or any of those other countries.

I worked for a Federal agency and we posted signs both in Spanish and English. It was obvious that the most immigrants from Mexico and central America could NOT read in Spanish.

We ended up using cartoon illustrations to get our point across. That worked.

My father was born in the Soviet Union in 1917. He NEVER went to school, given the Civil War. He ended up living in Germany, Latin America, and the United States. He always asked me to translate from English into Russian.

Being illiterate is something NOBODY wants to admit.

It took me almost to adulthood to realize that he couldn't read or write in any language. Somewhere along the line, he picked up pretty good basic math skills, but that is the universal language.

All almost all American's couldn't understand him due to his thick accent. However, several times he asked for the meaning of words that indicated to me that he had a very good understanding of English from a verbal perspective.

Government statistics are always interesting. From Third World countries even more so.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Actually we do have jobs for them. They work in slaughterhouses, restaurant kitchens, landscaping, food harvesting, nursing aids, domestics. They do jobs that pay so little and involve so much hard work that native Americans will not touch them.

Companies who are supposed to screen for illegals find ways to skirt around doing so.

If all the immigrants went home tomorrow, we’d be in a pickle. If there was no work for them, they would not keep coming

Yes, but they also work in residential construction as carpenters and other skilled labor. Depressing wages and freezing native born American's out of those skilled labor jobs.

The reason those jobs pay so little is the flood of illegal immigrants into this country!!!

There is no reason for a $15/hr minimum wage if we stopped illegal immigrants.

Oh, by the way, IF your a native born American and you do not want to work, don't expect me to support you in your lifestyle choice. I suspect there are fewer of these folks that really exist, compared to the talk!!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
From about 1850 to about 1920 we let in millions of uneducated, illiterate and unemployed people into the USA. And we turned out just fine.
Did we??? Because over the last 30 years we sure America has turned into a ****show.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:31 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It sounds to me that Immigration is quickly being framed as a wedge issue. It is not a very complex issue, the narrative warfare around it make it so that we constantly swing from "children in cages" to "the great replacement". Give people who ask for asylum a hearing, if it isnt the first country of refuge send them back, let people come in with work permits, tax who ever employs them to support a program to track and advocate for this people, if they cant stay employed let the permit runout. Amnesty is a bit more complicated I think you have a good start with DACA, maybe just green cards and no path to citizenship for people who have been here decades and have a proven record of being able to support themselves.
I disagree. Give them work permits just because? Americans need those jobs. The DACAs shouldn't benefit from their parent's lawbreaking either. I don't care how long they or their parents have been here they need to go back home an apply to come back legally. Those illegals who have been here for decade had to have used a stolen or fake SS number to support themselves and/or committed tax evasion. Those are felonies. Since when do we reward felons?

Old 03-11-2021, 06:32 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow, thats a pretty light burden. How long can you do it for? (IE is there time restrictions)
indefinitely . It is a light b burden. It requires the immigrant to actually have the means in order to live here and not become a burden. There are the idiots who try to game the system. Usually Europeans, I love when they get caught. They are put on the 6 o'clock news. LOL.

Oh also working here without a permit, yeah thats deportation offense, a fine and possible jail time. Some countries put the needs of their own first. I can live with that because I didn't retire from a $35 an hour job to work for far far less.

You can apply for several types of VISA's. Retirement is most common among expats. Dont break the rules and you are fine. Break those rules and you are out.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:42 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

So Americans or legal immigrants won't do those jobs for a fair wage? Since when???? Americans have always done manual labor jobs so WTH are you talking about?

Not all companies know if someone is legal or not. Many illegal aliens present fake or stolen documents and without e-verify mandated across the board many employers can be fooled.

Illegal aliens aren't immigrants either and the latter is not who we want to get rid of. Only the greedy employers would be in a pickle since they would miss the added profits from their cheap, illegal workers. The rest of us would actually benefit with the exit of illegal aliens from our country.

Not all illegals are coming here to work either. Birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits bring them here to. Build the wall and enforce our immigration laws internally!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,364 times
Quote:
And BTW, the notion that these Latin American immigrants are all illiterate is ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet the immigrants from Mexico and Central America these days have higher literacy rates (and possibly also educational levels) than European immigrants from 1850-1920.

Literacy rate by country
Mexico - 95.40%
Guatemala - 81.50%
Honduras - 87.20%
El Salvador - 88.50%

Even as recently as 1981 the literacy rate in Italy was 96.5%, which is little different from Mexico's current rate.

I'll take this group over the domestic terrorists that stormed the capital on 1/6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies