Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 12:51 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You completely missed the point. I pointed out that your assumption was almost certainly incorrect, at least prior to WWI.
Nope. The Public Charge immigration law has been in effect since 1882.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:54 PM

552 posts, read 223,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So in other words he was an illegal alien? Good work ethics does not excuse being in our country illegally. Most Americans have good work ethics to and not all "immigrants" do as you seem to be implying. We have immigration laws and they must be abided by. It's nonsense that there are jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. That's just and excuse to defend and support illegal aliens in our country. We have unlimited visas for legal, foreign farm workers to because it is not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work. All other jobs Americans have always done and will continue to do but those are the jobs that illegals have taken by working for less. Educate yourself on this subject!
OMF'ing GOD! No, he was NOT here illegally. Perhaps YOU should learn better
reading comprehension. You seem to misunderstand any posts I make about
Hispanics and migrants. He was here on a legal temporary program for citizens
of El Salvador. I do not remember what the name of it was. It was TEMPORARY.

By the way, I AM THE GRAND DAUGHTER OF AN ILLEGAL ALIEN! My grandmother was
brought over as a child from Scotland, to Canada and then thru Idaho into California, around 1909.
Grandma lived all her life in the U.S. without being asked about it until the 1980's.
A letter from the state department arrived, grandma was going to be deported back
to Scotland. My mother had to appeal to ask to allow her to stay. Grandma had a
Social Security number, and she worked so she received Social Security as I recall.

I do know a thing or two about illegal and legal immigration. There is no way in HELL
that Melania Trump received a fair or authentic immigration status. In fact, we have
zero proof on paper about her visa. Everything is just what Trump says. I do not
believe it for a second. I believe Melania's was obtained fraudulently.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:59 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
OMF'ing GOD! No, he was NOT here illegally. Perhaps YOU should learn better
reading comprehension. You seem to misunderstand any posts I make about
Hispanics and migrants. He was here on a legal temporary program for citizens
of El Salvador. I do not remember what the name of it was. It was TEMPORARY.

By the way, I AM THE GRAND DAUGHTER OF AN ILLEGAL ALIEN! My grandmother was
brought over as a child from Scotland, to Canada and then thru Idaho into California, around 1909.
Grandma lived all her life in the U.S. without being asked about it until the 1980's.
A letter from the state department arrived, grandma was going to be deported back
to Scotland. My mother had to appeal to ask to allow her to stay. Grandma had a
Social Security number, and she worked so she received Social Security as I recall.

I do know a thing or two about illegal and legal immigration. There is no way in HELL
that Melania Trump received a fair or authentic immigration status. In fact, we have
zero proof on paper about her visa. Everything is just what Trump says. I do not
believe it for a second. I believe Melania's was obtained fraudulently.
Why the snark? You said he wasn't able to become a citizen that translates to illegal alien to me! How did your illegal grandmother obtain a SS number? Why didn't she seek to change her status instead of ignoring it for so many years and then you all cry about here being deported? Sorry, but the rules apply to everyone.

This topic isn't about Melania Trump and unless you know her personally you have no right to make claims about her status. Start a topic about her then. This isn't the one.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:21 PM

552 posts, read 223,451 times
Quote:
Why the snark? You said he wasn't able to become a citizen that translates to illegal alien to me! How did your illegal grandmother obtain a SS number? Why didn't she seek to change her status instead of ignoring it for so many years and then you all cry about here being deported? Sorry, but the rules apply to everyone.

This topic isn't about Melania Trump and unless you know her personally you have no right to make claims about her status. Start a topic about her then. This isn't the one.
My grandmother was not deported. AS I POSTED, my mother successfully plead to
the U.S. State Department to allow her to stay. My grandmother is listed in the
Social Security Death Index, and I do recall that she had a small Social Security
check every month. Probably because she was a widow of a citizen.

Again, my friend from El Salvador was NOT in the U.S. illegally. He was here
LEGALLY on a LEGAL visa. I believe it was issued by the state department
for El Salvadorians specifically due to political conflict issues.

I have every right in the world to question Melania Trump's legal status and visa.
Since we are on the topic of illegal immigration, I brought it up and I can.

I realize you are a retired police officer. My friend from El Salvador was extremely
proud of his U.S. born adult son, a police officer in good standing who lived in Ohio.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:56 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
My grandmother was not deported. AS I POSTED, my mother successfully plead to
the U.S. State Department to allow her to stay. My grandmother is listed in the
Social Security Death Index, and I do recall that she had a small Social Security
check every month. Probably because she was a widow of a citizen.

Again, my friend from El Salvador was NOT in the U.S. illegally. He was here
LEGALLY on a LEGAL visa. I believe it was issued by the state department
for El Salvadorians specifically due to political conflict issues.

I have every right in the world to question Melania Trump's legal status and visa.
Since we are on the topic of illegal immigration, I brought it up and I can.

I realize you are a retired police officer. My friend from El Salvador was extremely
proud of his U.S. born adult son, a police officer in good standing who lived in Ohio.
What I meant is that you cried that your grandmother was supposed to be deported. As I said, the rules are for everyone. If you're here illegally you are supposed to be deported. You still didn't answer how she got a SS number. You didn't explain why your friend from El Salvador was not able to become a citizen either if they were here legally.

Sure, you have every right to question Melania Trump's status in our country but not under this topic. What part of that didn't you get? Besides, she is a U.S. citizen now. Read the topic heading please. She was never proven to be an illegal alien anyway. You're opinion is worthless.

I am not a retired police officer. Where are you getting that?

Old 03-11-2021, 03:59 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,153,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And BTW, the notion that these Latin American immigrants are all illiterate is ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet the immigrants from Mexico and Central America these days have higher literacy rates (and possibly also educational levels) than European immigrants from 1850-1920.

Literacy rate by country
Mexico - 95.40%
Guatemala - 81.50%
Honduras - 87.20%
El Salvador - 88.50%

Even as recently as 1981 the literacy rate in Italy was 96.5%, which is little different from Mexico's current rate.
I'm not against a legal immigration policy and I don't care where they come from.
But, regarding these stats, I'll call B.S. from decades of experience with the population.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:14 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Cheap labor, economic-growth, regional political/social/economic integration.

It is kind of the opposite of asking why we don't kick out the 20 million illegals already here.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:26 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
What I meant is that you cried that your grandmother was supposed to be deported. As I said, the rules are for everyone. If you're here illegally you are supposed to be deported. You still didn't answer how she got a SS number. You didn't explain why your friend from El Salvador was not able to become a citizen either if they were here legally.

Sure, you have every right to question Melania Trump's status in our country but not under this topic. What part of that didn't you get? Besides, she is a U.S. citizen now. Read the topic heading please. She was never proven to be an illegal alien anyway. You're opinion is worthless.

I am not a retired police officer. Where are you getting that?
Don't work up a sweat over social security cards. My dear SIL's ss card had his mother's assumed name on it. She had her real name and the name she used on tv. That was the name she put on her 16 year old son's social. Nobody caught it for 30 years. . It was the custom in DD's household that he would bring in the mail because she was schlepping kids. He was out of the country. She got the mail and it included that annual statement from SS. DD was alarmed. Especially when it dawned on her if he should get hit by a bus than name was not on her sons' birth certificate. And it was his divorce lawyer who turned him in. The IRS never got through with him.

IIRC, all I did was fill out a form, I didn't need to prove anything back in 1955.

When a pick pocket got my mom's in the grocery store I called her birth state and got het another one. Nobody had me prove anything about her ID. That was just before Obama was elected.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That was then.

This is now.

It's not even close to the same situation. We don't have enough jobs for Americans.....let alone millions of immigrants.

And immigrants then were much more willing to assimilate into American culture.

Now they're just here for the free Democrat cheese.
Actually we do have jobs for them. They work in slaughterhouses, restaurant kitchens, landscaping, food harvesting, nursing aids, domestics. They do jobs that pay so little and involve so much hard work that native Americans will not touch them.

Companies who are supposed to screen for illegals find ways to skirt around doing so.

If all the immigrants went home tomorrow, we’d be in a pickle. If there was no work for them, they would not keep coming

Old 03-11-2021, 04:39 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Actually we do have jobs for them. They work in slaughterhouses, restaurant kitchens, landscaping, food harvesting, nursing aids, domestics. They do jobs that pay so little and involve so much hard work that native Americans will not touch them.

Companies who are supposed to screen for illegals find ways to skirt around doing so.

If all the immigrants went home tomorrow, we’d be in a pickle. If there was no work for them, they would not keep coming
And that's the issue that nobody is willing to confront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies