Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
John Dean is guessing based on his own personal opinion and not known investigative evidence or facts. The DA is stupid if their entire case is based solely on statements from a convicted felon.
Uhmm...and a TON of personal experience. You do know who he is right?

And they arent basing their case off of Cohen. He is being called to explain some of what they see, and who knew about it. Their case will be in ink. Cohen might verify some of it, or lead them to others who can, but the foundation of their cases will be in records. Physical evidence.

This is moving forward because after years of delay they finally got Trumps taxes.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:46 PM

So this is what I suspect the basis of the case will be about if filed. Or at least the charge that led to everything else.

Cohen has stated before congress that trump regularly lowered his values for things when being taxed, and then vastly increased them for loans and insurance claims. This is a pretty basic crime, and if you have the records its pretty easy to show. Up until now they have not had the records.

But they also got a LOT more then Trumps taxes, they also got all the email etc between him and his tax folks. They could also go for the stormy daniels stuff and the accounting for it. Odds are they will then include other charges for other things like this that they discover.

Now the REAL question is if they have flipped anyone other then Cohen. If thats true....Trump should run now while he can.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:49 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
More free publicity for Trump, gosh the media just can't get enough of him!
They're going to get him re-elected in 2024 by turning him into some kind of martyr.

And so it begins.....

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-7320.html

Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The OP here is discussing financial crimes, not Jan 6th. As am I. I honestly doubt he will do any time for that because its a HARD thing to prove, and to describe in ways that juries would convict on. This is about most likely tax fraud, and some loan fraud. And people get that pretty well.

Will his followers freak out? Probably. I honestly no longer care. They didn't care when he was in power-in fact....half the reason some of them voted for him was "trigger the libs". I want justice here though. Whatever they bring against him HAS to be air tight. And if they think its unfair that their guy committed a crime and got punished, I truly do not care if they are upset by that.

But it absolutely needs to be something they can prove beyond any doubt. Which sucks, because for me and you it would be beyond a reasonable doubt.
I think if there were any actual evidence of tax fraud the IRS would have uncovered it by now based on their own internal audits of Trump's tax records. Any indictments or charges should be based on factual evidence that can proven in court beyond reasonable doubt as you say. But indictments should not be based on a fishing expedition "to get Trump" by an opposition democratic DA and Michael Cohen who is a convicted felon with an axe to grind because he got caught and now has a book to sell for personal gain. Both sound like conflicts of interest to me.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I think if there were any actual evidence of tax fraud the IRS would have uncovered it by now based on their own internal audits of Trump's tax records. Any indictments or charges should be based on factual evidence that can proven in court beyond reasonable doubt as you say. But indictments should not be based on a fishing expedition "to get Trump" by an opposition democratic DA and Michael Cohen who is a convicted felon with an axe to grind because he got caught and now has a book to sell for personal gain. Both sound like conflicts of interest to me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...p-pence-audit/
Yeah about that IRS audit...

Also the IRS audit doesnt have access to many other records, they arent quite as thorough as you seem to think. With what appears to have been some efforts to influence those, and a resulting whistleblower.....

As for Cohen "conflict of interest", its VERY common to use people exactly like him to convict folks. Because it wont be just his testimony that does it. It will be records, and documents. Cohen will testify about things such as discussions, etc. Things that can keep them on track.

Oh that house? nah it was a pile, and we fixed it. That low estimate there, and the later high one are pretty dead on for example. Vs, "Ok soooo, about this one, we took out 2 loans by using multiple street addresses of the apartments as the main address"

Old 03-11-2021, 08:07 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ive always assumed his taxes and finances would show this. You can search my posts. People at the level of real estate? They commit crimes. not all of them...but about 90%. 60% of them knowingly. 30% by accident.
And so after 40+ years or so in NY real estate....they decide to go after him....and not the dozens of others like him.

And then you say how you want this to restore your faith in the justice system? Bull.

Trump never runs for office, keeps writing checks to people for their campaigns....this never ever happens.

I am 100% with all of the posters here that don't like Trump.

Right up until the point where they want him investigated top to bottom just looking for something wrong...because of that dislike and to punish a political rival.

All while not doing the same to the others....but then saying you want this to be justice. Seriously wth.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:12 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
And so after 40+ years or so in NY real estate....they decide to go after him....and not the dozens of others like him.

And then you say how you want this to restore your faith in the justice system? Bull.

Trump never runs for office, keeps writing checks to people for their campaigns....this never ever happens.

I am 100% with all of the posters here that don't like Trump.

Right up until the point where they want him investigated top to bottom just looking for something wrong...because of that dislike and to punish a political rival.

All while not doing the same to the others....but then saying you want this to be justice. Seriously wth.
Yeah, Im with you there. I detest trump, but using our IRS and justice department to go on a fishing trip on one individual, just hoping to find something? That stinks of harassment and persecution. Hell Charlie Rangel was caught red handed cheating on his taxes and he received a mild rebuke from Pelosi.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What's the evidence that there isn't reasonable suspicion here and that it's all just a "fishing expedition" as you have alleged?
Because the NY DA said so in 2018. They're just going to dig into EVERYTHING, it's right there in her quote.

Not, "We are concerned about his Trump Towers." or "His Trump U" or whatnot.

Nope, just pretty much everything, including his family.

Reasonable suspicion to you is that he's a Republican.

Which makes you (like some Republicans) a fascist.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
He and his family need to go away, but LOL if you think a former sitting Prez is gonna be indicted. Especially someone who has huge influence on his supporters. They don't have the ballz.

But if they do have the ballz, ohh boy.
^^^And THIS is what I'm worried about.

If they actually do push this forward and it is not a dog and pony show for elections and the base?

There is going to be hell to pay and of course retribution.

I already do not like how ugly and partisan the SCOTUS nominations have gotten, including the freezing out of Obama's appointee and the treatment of Kavanaugh.

This is bad folks. Really bad.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah, Im with you there. I detest trump, but using our IRS and justice department to go on a fishing trip on one individual, just hoping to find something? That stinks of harassment and persecution. Hell Charlie Rangel was caught red handed cheating on his taxes and he received a mild rebuke from Pelosi.
The Grand Juries in New York are not a part of the federal government, and they are not convened for a "fishing expedition". Grand Juries are assembled because there is ample evidence beforehand that a crime was probably committed. Their job is to investigate everything connected to the allegations and make a decision whether or not to indict.

This is not harassment and persecution. This is an example of the justice system doing precisely what it is supposed to be doing. Since Michael Cohen was called back to discuss the matter with the Grand Jury after they received the Former Guy's tax returns, it more than likely means there is something they found there that they want to clarify. Cohen, as attorney and fixer, would know the details of an assortment of situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies