Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 04:38 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What they call an "assault weapon" IS a hunting rifle - that is what most seem to not get - the ban is normally on cosmetic features. Because it applies primarily to cosmetics, it is east to change from legal to illegal or vis-versa in about a minute. Banning these features are not going to stop ANY illegal use.

BTW - Some of the "assault weapon" laws do ban many Hunting rifles by name and sometimes apply to handguns also.
That is not necessarily true. Guns that are designed to hunt are not necessarily the same ones that are most effective for mass shootings, though there may be overlap.

Hunting deer or elk or pheasant does not require a automatic, or semi-automatic weapon with a 15 round clip. These types of weapons are best suited for mass casualties. The requirements of a weapon for deer hunting is far different than one for military usage. Completely different engineering. So, not merely cosmetic.

And the ease of converting a semi-automatic weapon to a large capacity clip and automatic firing would surprise many people. But, I tend to agree that it would be very hard at this point to keep a determined person from causing great harm with any modern firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 04:43 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
That is not necessarily true. Guns that are designed to hunt are not necessarily the same ones that are most effective for mass shootings, though there may be overlap.

Hunting deer or elk or pheasant does not require a automatic, or semi-automatic weapon with a 15 round clip. These types of weapons are best suited for mass casualties. The requirements of a weapon for deer hunting is far different than one for military usage. Completely different engineering. So, not merely cosmetic.

And the ease of converting a semi-automatic weapon to a large capacity clip and automatic firing would surprise many people. But, I tend to agree that it would be very hard at this point to keep a determined person from causing great harm with any modern firearm.
Before you lecture people on what you think perhaps you should at least educate yourself on the correct nomenclature......

Old 03-26-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
My grandpa still have a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) made in 1931 he inherited from his father who was a cop. No registration, no background check, no nothing.

If true here is another lawbreaker the mods should turn into the Feds.....

Old 03-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So everyone needs to pack heat when venturing outside to protect themselves from mentally ill mass shooters?
As mentioned elsewhere...If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:50 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If true here is another lawbreaker the mods should turn into the Feds.....
Grandfather clause

1931 and 1994

The feds are 63 years late with their FAW ban

Old 03-26-2021, 04:51 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post

To the bold:

This is why you fail (and your buddies), you have no clue what you are talking about but pretend to act as you do.

If you want to have an actual conversation, research your argument and provide your argument (the BOLD part proves you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
To the bold:

This is why you fail (and your buddies), you have no clue what you are talking about but pretend to act as you do.

If you want to have an actual conversation, research your argument and provide your argument (the BOLD part proves you don't know what you are talking about (just say'n).
Anybody who refers to magazine as “clip” should not be taking seriously

Old 03-26-2021, 04:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Anybody who refers to magazine as “clip” should not be taking seriously
It is incorrect use but I have to say that even in the Marines in the 80's we commonly called magazines clips even though we knew the difference between a magazine and stripper clips.

However, we NEVER called them guns...we called them rifles.

This is my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for killing and this one's for fun!

Old 03-26-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
It is incorrect use but I have to say that even in the Marines in the 80's we commonly called magazines clips even though we knew the difference between a magazine and stripper clips.

However, we NEVER called them guns...we called them rifles.

This is my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for killing and this one's for fun!
We haven’t used “clip” since M1 Garand, old timer

I bet your DIs were WW2 and Korean War vets and they couldn’t get rid of their old habit

Old 03-26-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Grandfather clause

1931 and 1994

The feds are 63 years late with their FAW ban
Wrong.....
If it's a M1918 Browning Autolatric Rifle it's a NFA item. no such thing as an "grandfather clause.....
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...un-control-act

In 1968 Congress opened a thirty (30) day amnesty period where any person possessing an unregistered NFA firearm could register said NFA firearm for free and without liability for any previous violations of the law. During this time hundreds of firearms were registered including many war trophies.

The actual law allowed for up to ninety days and three amnesty periods, but the Treasury Department (then managing the NFA) did not see fit to use the last two periods and sixty days. Since then many collectors have pondered whether the ATF would take advantage of the law and offer another amnesty period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies