Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 02:11 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So once again I must repeat what I posted of believing no government being stupid enough to even entertain the notion of confiscating any firearms. I have been referring to the crafting of laws of prohibition nothing more or less.

Somehow numbers of you just cannot seem to grasp the written word and instead auto default to the silly hollywoodesque Charlton Heston nonsense. No one is coming to pry your musket from your cold dead hands.

Who are you arguing with exactly, because it certainly isn't me.
You do understand that prohibiting means confiscation of those guns that already exist that are now prohibited or else these laws are close to worthless.

You don't get it. This whole tact is wrong from the beginning - these laws ONLY impact lawful gun owners, not those that are going to ignore them. We don't pass laws that are bans for the majority because a minority of lawbreakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 02:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Heck, Colorado even has "open carry", and despite what some will say, it isn't doing a whole lot of good. There is evidence of higher rates of mass shootings in states with relaxed gun laws even.
Is this a peer-reviewed study or a politically motivated hit piece?

Old 03-26-2021, 02:19 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times
Explain to me why a handgun or hunting rifle is not enough for you?

Old 03-26-2021, 02:22 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Because it may be the guy attacking who decides what is enough.....not the owner.

I don't use a .22 but a .45 for if someone or a someone and his friends attacks me, I want to stop them in their tracks. That's why I use a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_USP .

Old 03-26-2021, 02:23 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
I’ll take a Glock 17 with 30 rounds mag
https://youtu.be/UWKvaSiNOAc

Old 03-26-2021, 02:36 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yep. Were there gun shows 100 years ago? Was there internet, where one can order guns and ammo, 100 years ago? Were there as many guns as there are now 100 years ago?
No, 100 years ago there was no Internet.
But you could walk into a hardware store and buy a Tommy gun.
You could order a rifle in the Sear's catalog.
But you may be on to something.
Perhaps it is the Internet that is the problem and not the guns.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post

My grandpa still have a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) made in 1931 he inherited from his father who was a cop. No registration, no background check, no nothing.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:59 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
When I was a 'youngster' (50's early 60's) you could bring your .22 to class for shooting competition after school. The rifles stayed in the cloak closet.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:34 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Quote:
What they call an "assault weapon" IS a hunting rifle - that is what most seem to not get - the ban is normally on cosmetic features. Because it applies primarily to cosmetics, it is east to change from legal to illegal or vis-versa in about a minute. Banning these features are not going to stop ANY illegal use.

BTW - Some of the "assault weapon" laws do ban many Hunting rifles by name and sometimes apply to handguns also.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:27 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is this a peer-reviewed study or a politically motivated hit piece?
Beats me. If you find something wrong with the articles premise or facts, enlighten everyone. Is there a non-partisan study that shows that mass shooting can be effectively prevented by bystanders with guns? Something, aside from anecdotes?

Both sides in this argument are awash in "political motivation". Arguments from both sides are steeped in BS and cherry-picking.

I am of the mind that nothing we do will fix the situation that we find ourselves in. So, I really do not care. People are going to keep killing people with guns. The more effective the weapons, the more effective the attacks will be. Is that debatable? In America, there will never be any laws that take away the guns. Or stop modification to existing weapons. Or even effectively keep them out of the hands of those who seek to cause great harm.

All we can do is clean up afterwards. Body bags, funerals and grief. It seems to be part of the American fabric. Toothpaste is out of the tube. Arguing about it is inane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies