Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 11:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
This is where we agree on something..... enforce the laws on the books. Stop with the incessant wailing about certain types of firearms that are no different than any other common firearm. Can the rhetoric about bans / restrictions on firearms already in common use. Address the root cause of the issue, which is NOT guns, but societal norms. Yes, it is much harder, but if you truly want change that is the only way.
Well, I'll just have to assume, like myself oft-times, you're using YOU and YOUR figuratively as I don't have a stance one way or the other and agree the definitions used to describe basically every single semi-auto rifle out there as an "assault weapon" are at the very least completely useless.

My point, if you'd care for a light recap, was that those are exactly the discussions that need to happen in a formal nature with all parties represented, including 13 year old Kevin who is collecting bounties using his grand dad's old semi-auto Marlin .22 with the optional 10 shot mags for every groundhog he delivers to farmer Dave for keeping his dairy cattle from stepping into holes they dig.

I am not an "anti-gunner"- I am an "anti-completely unrestricted ownership" gunner. The group that is growing with each and every mass shooting that is followed by all of this blather with no meaningful, sensible and logic based response.

I believe I also mentioned that there would be vast and terrible repercussions if any move was made to actually confiscate already owned weapons.

So in summation; you and I are essentially only a small ditch apart on this issue as the AR15 in the .223 config. is a very useful tool in the arsenal of the feral hog and coyote hunters.

In that respect I agree that the definitions of assault weapons as used by various entities including legislators needs to be challenged, but to simply state there should be no discussion and any further restrictions would result in anarchy is both ludicrous and misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 11:25 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,728 times
I propose we just make it so that you can only buy a gun on one Tuesday in November, once every two years. There's also only one place in your country where you can buy a gun, you have to physically wait in line on that day. You are required to have ID to buy it, and it's illegal for someone to give you water when you wait in line to buy that gun.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:30 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I propose we just make it so that you can only buy a gun on one Tuesday in November, once every two years. There's also only one place in your country where you can buy a gun, you have to physically wait in line on that day. You are required to have ID to buy it, and it's illegal for someone to give you water when you wait in line to buy that gun.

I propose we just make it so that you can only post one stupid comment on social media on one Tuesday in November, once every two years. There's also only one terminal to post for all social media, you have to physically wait in queue on that day. You are required to have ID to post it, and it's illegal for someone to give you water when you wait in line to post that comment.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I propose we just make it so that you can only post one stupid comment on social media on one Tuesday in November, once every two years. There's also only one terminal to post for all social media, you have to physically wait in queue on that day. You are required to have ID to post it, and it's illegal for someone to give you water when you wait in line to post that comment.
If posting to social media was a constitutional right, what you said makes complete sense, by GOP logic.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:50 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
To change the tide you must first stop the tide...………… no new laws until what is there is enforced. Then the laws that are there can be changed.
There shouldn't be any laws

Old 03-25-2021, 12:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The Supreme Court ruled that gun regulations are legal. Why is it so easy for criminals to get guns? Because we have so many of them. That`s a 9th grade Economics lesson. Open up enough unlocked car doors and you`ll have a gun within a couple hours.
Which group is looking to ban gun ownership speaking of being so desperate that you have to make stuff up?
You have no idea what you are talking about - the courts ruled that gun rights are protected. We have lots of gun regulations already. You talk about regulations and in the very same breath imply that we need to ban them. Criminals can get guns, even where they are essentially banned, because they do not care about the laws. We don't take away everyone's legal rights because a few are used for criminal activity. Just like we don't take away your right to drive because a few drive drunk. We punish those that break the law, not put a ban on everyone else for that law breaking of a few.

The anti gun groups seem to be desperate and are making stuff up, like the post I was responding to that said we had daily mass shootings and think "That's fine" in response. Or maybe like yours that think they can get a gun in a couple of hours by just breaking into cars. There are others that talk about assault weapon bans that really have no idea what they are, how they work, what constitutes an assault weapon or can explain why banning them will solve anything. I would guess most that are for all out bans have never shot a gun in their life.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:15 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
well - without picking sides, just a logical question:

Mexico has extremely strict gun laws (by USA standards), yet twice as many murders with 1/3 the population.

Please explain without politics or emotion.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
If posting to social media was a constitutional right, what you said makes complete sense, by GOP logic.
What does that have to do with your silly idea?

You DO realize that one of the Constitutional rights is that of free speech don't you? Or, do you not consider posting on SM free speech?

So...my statement is just as valid/stupid as your was, which was the entire point.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
What does that have to do with your silly idea?

You DO realize that one of the Constitutional rights is that of free speech don't you? Or, do you not consider posting on SM free speech?

So...my statement is just as valid/stupid as your was, which was the entire point.
With respect, I'm not sure my point could have gone further over your head. I agree what I said was absurd for anyone to propose.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:14 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies