Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2021, 12:30 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
16 of those complaints were closed and the records don’t include any details on the substance of the complaints.

We don't know if those complaints filed were legit or not.
What is known in regards to the current trial is that the State filed a Notice of Intent to offer into evidence eight incidents involving use of force by MPD PO Derek Chauvin between 2014 and 2019.

The Court denied all but two of the incidents.

Both sides attempt to introduce inflammatory, confusing, & speculative evidence to influence the jury:

Quote:
... Defendant asks the Court to reopen that decision, based on a pill that was found on the back seat of the squad car into which police tried to place Mr. Floyd on May 25, 2020. Defendant strains to explain why evidence of Mr. Floyd’s prior 2019 arrest should be admitted, since Mr. Floyd is not on trial.

Nonetheless, Defendant offers three theories:
(1) to show that Mr. Floyd possessed an intent to resist arrest;
(2) to show that Mr. Floyd possessed a modus operandi of swallowing narcotics; and
(3) to show that, when Mr. Floyd went to the hospital in 2019, he had or knew he had hypertension, and that he was at risk for a stroke or a heart attack.

None of these reasons provide a basis for reconsidering the Court’s prior decision to exclude the evidence under Rule 404(b).

The first theory remains as irrelevant today as it was when this Court issued its January order.
https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov...m203182021.pdf

Judge Cahill has a difficult role here, imho, his decisions here have been outstanding, imho.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
Haven't seen this question answered either. There really is no way to spin it positively. I mean I guess one could argue Chauvin isn't racist but maybe he has some kind of disability where his cognitive ability is markedly lower than the average person. Though I'm sure the rigors of the Academy and his 19 years of service would/should have picked up on something like that prior to this incident. So yeah you're right racial hatred it is.

And in this twisted logic....wouldnt it have made sense for Chauvin to actually do the very thing the crowd was begging him to do....the very thing he is supposed to do and sworn to do as an officer. Its not like what the crowd was begging him to do went against police policy. They were literally begging Chauvin to do his job. But Chauvin wasn't interested in any of that. He wanted to get his rocks off that day. He took pleasure in exerting his authority not only on Floyd but on that crowd.

Except for the fact that calling for back-up when you feel or perceive danger is indeed police procedure. Chauvin being a 19 year veteran knows this.. So yes I can with certainty conclude that the fact Chauvin did NOT call for back-up means he did not feel or perceive any danger from that crowd.

I don't think what happened had anything to do with race. My guess is it was just another day on the job for Chauvin. However you alluded in an early post Chauvin is a small man with perhaps a Napoleon Complex. Playing arm-chair shrink he might well have a chip on his shoulder because of his size.

On the other hand he might have been a high charger simple because.... he is small.

At 5'9 and 155 pound his size wasn't going to intimated many people.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post

And in this twisted logic....wouldnt it have made sense for Chauvin to actually do the very thing the crowd was begging him to do....the very thing he is supposed to do and sworn to do as an officer. Its not like what the crowd was begging him to do went against police policy. They were literally begging Chauvin to do his job. But Chauvin wasn't interested in any of that. He wanted to get his rocks off that day. He took pleasure in exerting his authority not only on Floyd but on that crowd.

I tend to think this indicates the defense has a rather weak defense strategy.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:44 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
BLM addresses a legitimate problem with police misconduct. The police aren’t maintaining law and order if they are violating the rights of citizens.

NYC $170 million yearly
Chicago $47 million yearly
L.A $33 million yearly
Washington DC $13 million yearly
Philadelphia $10.5 million yearly
Detroit $6.4 million yearly
Milwaukee $4 million yearly
Baltimore $3.6 million yearly
San Francisco $2.7 million yearly

BLM focuses on police misconduct. That is their remit. The ADL, SPLC, greenpeace,Audubon society all have a remit. BLM is no different
"#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives."

Where in this mission statement from BLM, does it state their focus is on police misconduct?

Old 04-10-2021, 12:47 PM

728 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I get what you're saying. I'm alright with waiting to see what the defense has.

The ME's testimony today provided supporting evidence that Derek Chauvin's conduct was a “substantial causal factor" in George Floyd's death.
What was a "substantial causal factor" was Floyd's encounter with police officers' effort to arrest him.

The ME testified that Floyd had an enlarged heart and badly blocked arteries due to cardiovascular disease and presence of fatal level of fetanyl in his blood. His struggle with the police officers from the beginning of their attempt to get him into the cop car till he was on the ground calling for his mama was the incidental "substantial causal factor".

Singling Chauvin out and focusing on him as the sole cause fits the false narrative of the white supremacist cop acting brutally to deliberately kill a helpless black man. This is so evil; and yet, this is the conviction you want and see as justice.

Last edited by Chenping; 04-10-2021 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-10-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think what happened had anything to do with race. My guess is it was just another day on the job for Chauvin. However you alluded in an early post Chauvin is a small man with perhaps a Napoleon Complex. Playing arm-chair shrink he might well have a chip on his shoulder because of his size.

On the other hand he might have been a high charger simple because.... he is small.

At 5'9 and 155 pound his size wasn't going to intimated many people.
Neither the prosecution nor the defense's arguments rest upon the race of George Floyd, or the defendant Derek Chauvin.

This is because the defendant’s acts are measured against the weight of whether or not committed with an indifference to the loss of human life that the eminently dangerous act could cause.

George Floyd's life mattered.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Neither the prosecution nor the defense's arguments rest upon the race of George Floyd, or the defendant Derek Chauvin.

This is because the defendant’s acts are measured against the weight of whether or not committed with an indifference to the loss of human life that the eminently dangerous act could cause.

George Floyd's life mattered.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it didn't. However, his actions played a major role in what happened and it's up to the jury do decide the fate of Chauvin.

Unfortunately, the MSM set the the narrative (Chauvin murdered Floyd) well before the trial began. Expect rioting/looting shortly after a verdict is announced.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
What was a "substantial causal factor" was Floyd's encounter with police officers' effort to arrest him.

The ME testified that Floyd had an enlarged heart and badly blocked arteries due to cardiovascular disease and presence of fatal level of fetanyl in his blood. His struggle with the police officers from the beginning of their attempt to get him into the cop car till he was on the ground calling for his mama was the incidental "substantial causal factor".

Singling Chauvin out and focusing on him as the sole cause fits the false narrative of the white supremacist cop acting brutally to deliberately kill a helpless black man. This is so evil.
Apparently we’ve exited the realm of reason.

4th Wall: It’s like attempting to reason with the Church Lady:

I mean, what's up with channeling the 'Church Lady' defense?

Please see response from upthread:

Quote:
If, as you seem to be conjecturing, that the "meth caused him to fight the cops, resulting in them subduing and restraining him" or "that he resisted just because he didn’t want to be arrested."

My question is why hold a trial?

Some folks in this thread have also expressed a similar concern when they've questioned the wording of the title of the OP, i.e., if, "George Floyd died of an overdose - how will the trial unfold?"

In other words, if it is known a priori that George Floyd died of an overdose, the question then, is why hold a trial?

If the mere existence of a death certificate, or an autopsy report nullified the requirement to have a trial when one is charged with a crime, the question remains, why hold a trial?

As per the charging documents, Derek Chauvin was charged with three crimes. The trial is held, or is allowed to "unfold" because there was probable cause. Probable cause is a requirement found in the Fourth Amendment. Simply said, the Courts will usually find probable cause when there is a reasonable basis for believing that a crime may have been committed, &/or when supporting evidence is present.

As for the ME's testimony yesterday, re: the death certificate & autopsy report. My understanding of the "top line" on the form is that it is reserved for the "Immediate Cause (Final disease or condition resulting in death)."

Below the immediate cause is the sequential list of conditions, if any, that led to the immediate cause of death.

The immediate cause of death is cardiopulmonary arrest <- top line

Due to (or as a consequence of)

complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting it didn't. However, his actions played a major role in what happened and it's up to the jury do decide the fate of Chauvin.

Unfortunately, the MSM set the the narrative (Chauvin murdered Floyd) well before the trial began. Expect rioting/looting shortly after a verdict is announced.
You (& others here) seem to be suggesting the jury should consider the role of the media, press, et cetera in determining whether the defendant is guilty or innocent of the charges against him.

I don't think the jury's instructions will include, do you?

Old 04-10-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You (& others here) seem to be suggesting the jury should consider the role of the media, press, et cetera in determining whether the defendant is guilty or innocent of the charges against him.

I don't think the jury's instructions will include, do you?

No, I'm sure those on the jury were carefully selected and as unbiased as one can be in such a high profile case.

I was referring to those who get their news from the MSM which set the narrative (Chauvin murdered Floyd) long before the trial ever started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies