Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,979,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I'm not concerned with what was written as an opinion, I'm concerned with the facts.

The facts show that Floyd had a likely lethal dose of Fentanyl in his system....and it wasn't his first overdose while being arrested.

They could write down COVID-19 as the cause of death and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. 11ng/ml of Fentanyl in your system is something that cannot be overlooked....and typically would outright be ruled the sole cause of death. There's quite a bit of politics involved in this case, and anyone involved with it has to be concerned about their lives and the lives of their families, so I fully understand why things have happened as they have.
You can etch that in stone. The media set the narrative last year: Floyd was outright murdered. The jury comes back with anything less than a 2nd degree conviction and inner cites are going to explode.

Doesn't matter what the jury decides on. Either the mob/media gets the verdict they want or cities erupt in violence.

The city of Minneapolis is in a tight bind. They know it's unlikely Chauvin will be convicted of 2nd degree murder and they know the mob will riot.

I agree most owners won't do anything other than board up the front of their store. However, I also suspect after what happened last year there will be those who feel since the police won't protect their property... they will. At which point looters will begin getting shot.

Last edited by john3232; 04-07-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Apart from having to deal with all that bad stuff when called to respond to 911 calls, police officers also have to draw their weapons to defend themselves against maniacs shooting them.
Again, this isn't the guns fault. You actually stated it..."maniacs", or people willing to take another individuals life.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,188 times
Stiger just destroyed another defense narrative: the “hostile” crowd. But really, does the jury need an expert to tell them the obvious? The video said it all.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:54 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,555,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
They are similar in that both are the interpretation of an event from a defense’s perspective. As I have already educated about your opinion on the cause of death, it is an uninformed opinion as opposed to a fact. Hope this helps.
it's not merely an interpretational difference though.

Floyd OD'd and would have even if the officer did nothing at all. A woman who is beaten by her husband wouldn't have been beaten without the actions of the abusive husband.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:58 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. Not a single person can sit behind their keyboard and judge what a LEO , especially one that works in poverty, drug, and violent stricken areas. I have several friends that are retired LEO's and if they decide to bring up stories of the past, you can see how much some of these things have emotionally effected them.

This doesn't give them free reign to be judge, juror, and executioner but I can definitely understand how one could break down. That is the key. A department has to be able to see the signs of one of their own on a verge of a breakdown, and get them help so they don't snap.
This all happened within 10 miles of me. I’m going to side with the police in many circumstances, but the head union chief guy plays a big part in this. I worked for a guy who’s good friends with police union chief’s brother. (Union chief just retired) The family when they were in their early 20’s would get into bar fights all over, including being kicked out/banned from a small town in northern MN. They fought non stop with each as brothers entire lives (boxing, not arguing) and after recalling all these stories I’ve taken in within the last 20+ years, it’s not surprising he was union chief and always backed the cops. Mpls has always had police problem, the union is very strong and head guy will fight non stop, almost too much...

Old 04-07-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Drug overdoses can be treated. That's why police officers in Minneapolis are trained and equipped with narcan.

You can't keep on saying that Chauvin's actions were wrong, but that Chauvin is blameless.
Yes they can, but you generally need a cooperative or incapacitated criminal in order to treat them.....and when you swallow a fatal dose of Fentanyl with meth in your system and you have a 90% blockage in one of the arteries of your heart, Naloxone isn't necessarily going to reverse the chain of events you set in motion.

Given the fact that the officer stayed on top of the man well after his pulse stopped, I fully support some kind of charges against him. I think he should do time for it. Failure to attempt to administer Naloxone should also be considered in those charges.....but when a person swallows an overdose of drugs that leads to a heart attack, they weren't murdered by those who merely failed to save them from themselves.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:59 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
it's not merely an interpretational difference though.

Floyd OD'd and would have even if the officer did nothing at all. A woman who is beaten by her husband wouldn't have been beaten without the actions of the abusive husband.
You have no evidence that Floyd would have OD’d. That is your interpretation based on a wish, not fact. Based on the circumstances of Floyd’s death, no qualified medical examiner would issue fentanyl or polysubstance overdose as the cause of death. And that is why you don’t see this in the ME’s report. Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:01 AM

728 posts, read 302,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I’ve been on two ride alongs with my brother (is less then 2 years from retiring) in a “nicer” city in the metro I live. The scum I dealt with just riding shotgun was appalling. The entire ride taking a drunk to jail and him threatening my brothers life non stop, that plays into the root of who the person really was. I screwed up 18 years ago and got a dwi when I was early 20’s. I wasn’t a d*ck as I knew I screwed up and should have been caught. I wasn’t even handcuffed on the ride to police department. He even let me use my cell phone to call someone to come get me after all the booking.

Like I said in an earlier post, I have never met a bad cop in my entire life. People the police have to deal with are something else. If we don't break the law, we will never have an encounter with the police. I did break the rules a few times: driving above speed limits, driving through a stop sign, parking in a paralyzed spot and that's about it. I was never issued a ticket and let off because all my infractions were not intentional. There were no mean cops trying to stick it to me the way people viewed Chauvin as doing to Floyd.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
You have no evidence that Floyd would have OD’d. That is your interpretation based on a wish, not fact. Based on the circumstances of Floyd’s death, no qualified medical examiner would issue fentanyl or polysubstance overdose as the cause of death. And that is why you don’t see this in the ME’s report. Hope this helps.
So you don't consider the presence of an overdose of Fentanyl in his system to be evidence that he'd have OD'd?

You don't consider symptoms of OD such as hypoxia and pulmonary edema being present prior to him being on the ground as evidence that he WAS OD'ing?

I agree that no medical examiner is going to put themselves or their families at risk by labeling OD as the cause of death....who would want the animals that will be in the streets burning things down going after them....but that's not to say that if you removed the danger element that an examiner wouldn't give that honest assessment.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:07 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
As I explained in my previous message, keep in mind that he did move his knee at times. However, have you seen the entire video the individual took from the other angle? Don't watch an edited video though.

Mr. Floyd was not example of citizenship. And that can influence people on trying to excuse the officer. The point is that the officer has to treat an arrested individual having in mind not to kill him. The officers facial expression showed no emotions that showed any care whatsoever.

However, if you have an agenda of trying to show the officer did not do wrong, a video will still not convince you still.
Here is the link to the video I saw from another angle. If you do not see it as wrong, there is nothing else I can say. You see a warning before you can see the video. All you have to do is agree to see it and are of age to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsc2ivfk9rY

You have a great day.
elamigo
I have seen that a few times and it is so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies