Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The job of the police is to protect the innocent from the criminals. The police do not know what drugs someone has taken minutes before.
The cop's job is not to kill someone. Their job is to bring them to jail. Even if they are on drugs.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
It was the cop's job to arrest him not kill him.
They had proof that Floyd was other than a victim of the false money? They found some more bills to demonstrate that Floyd was the perpetrator and not a victim? One bill might call for questioning but hardly a base to arrest on.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
The sociological issue is that people need to understand that before initiating a protest of a racial issue, it first must be determined to be a racial issue. Because the principal individuals are of different ethnicities, that does not make it a racial issue. Like all other presumptions, evidence should be required.
when's the last time that happened?

I mean, by your standards, the last one should have been for Ahmaud Arbery. He was nowhere near the thug career criminal it appears George Floyd was.

I mean, George Floyd was like the least supportable of any "death during arrest" incident we've had. Yet some do. And that doesn't mean he deserved to die, but it does mean he's not the one to lionize.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:26 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
It was the cop's job to arrest him not kill him.
Quote:
The cop's job is not to kill someone. Their job is to bring them to jail. Even if they are on drugs.
Thank you, ma’am. On point, short and sweet.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:27 PM

462 posts, read 207,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The police are supposed to protect the community. George Floyd was part of that community. While they may have suspected him of wrongdoing, they still had an obligation to protect him. And they killed him instead.
That community elected representatives so they could make laws binding on the community. And one of the laws they made, was that if you pass bad money you get a visit from the cops, who are within their rights to cuff you and bring you to the cop shop for questioning.

Another law the community made was that if you resist arrest, and especially if you are violent toward the cops (as Floyd was when they tried to put him in the cop car), they can throw you to the ground and used force to subdue you. And the knee on the neck is part of standard police procedure for that, and has been for years in Minneapolis. Cops get training on how to do that.

BTW, when I first saw the videos and heard Floyd saying "I can't breathe", I wondered how he could say anything if he WAS getting enough air to talk. I figured he was just BS'ing the cops, since "I can't breathe" was pretty obviously not true. Wouldn't surprise me if the cops came to the same conclusion.

It wasn't till the video of the cops actually putting Floyd in the cop car, where he was saying "I can't breathe" long before they started pushing him in the door and long before he came out the other side, fell to the ground, and the cop knelt on his neck, did I realize it wasn't the cops who made him "unable to breathe".

Later I saw the autopsy which said he had a fatal dose of Fentanyl in his blood. I'm not a medical person, but I looked up the symptoms of a Fentanyl OD, and "shortness of breath" was at the top of the list.

Floyd died from a self-administered Fentanyl OD.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:28 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Innocent until proven guilty. George Floyd wasn't threatening the community. He tried to pass a counterfeit twenty at a corner market. He didn't have to die. Four police officers held him down while he struggled to breathe, they held him down when he stopped struggling to breathe, they held him down when he had stopped breathing. They are hired to protect everyone, to help people. They didn't help George Floyd. They killed him.
It`s called resisting arrest. Why did they have to hold him down. Why did he not do, what he was ordered to do by the police. He was able to breathe enough to fight them.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:30 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I mean, by your standards, the last one should have been for Ahmaud Arbery. He was nowhere near the thug career criminal it appears George Floyd was.

I mean, George Floyd was like the least supportable of any "death during arrest" incident we've had. Yet some do. And that doesn't mean he deserved to die, but it does mean he's not the one to lionize.
I ain’t finna lionize the guy, but there was nothing worth killing/dying for. I would argue that where a lot of the high profile police killings at least had a fairly wide gray area, this one lacks that. 8 minutes 46 seconds. I don’t know how anybody justifies that as a correct response, whether or not Chauvin had some specific motive. To me, that’s beyond the scope of a mere mistake, or something which is debatable. It’s beyond the pale.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:31 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I don't know what you are talking about or how your post applies to mine. What I am saying is that by far the biggest factor in the public fallout concerning the death of George Floyd is that Floyd was black and was killed by a white cop. My point is, how is that relevant? People seem to think it is relevant and I ask, what makes you say that? There is no evidence that race was even a factor. Trying to argue that Floyd died due to ingesting drugs, or a pre-existing condition is arguing small details while missing the big picture.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:34 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Him saying that he can't breathe wasn't a clue? 9 minutes!
He said he couldn't breathe 6 times before Chauvin touched him from the fatal fentanyl overdose.

He was also talking showing he could breathe, just the fatal dose of fentanyl was filling liquid into his lungs.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:35 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
You can't say he was in the throes of a fentanyl overdose, and simultaneously say that he was a serious threat to the officers. The fact that he was complaining of difficulties breathing early on simply support the argument that the police restraining him, cuffed and on the ground, with a knee to his neck was wrong. The police should have been trying to help him, instead they killed him.
and this seems like an ingrained difference - some people believe anything people say, and some people have experience with folks that will tell a lie if they think it will help them.

you hear "I didn't do nothing" and believe it. "I don't know why", "I'm not resisting", "I'm claustrophobic", etc etc and actually believe it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies