Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:52 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times

Advertisements

My thing is this. United-states has a special relationship with the united Kingdom for obvious reasons. Also the United States is at the helm of the former British empire and tries its best to keep the global order. Biden is within his right to feel that he suffers historical pain and legacy of Irish mistreatment from the British. But as an ally and a cultural and economic partner via special relationship. That type of rhetoric should be put at wayside. Yes the British empire is not perfect, and yes the United States helped pick up after its parent nation left fecal matter across the globe. But guess what. Like father, the United States is not all that better either despite having a short time being a global power vs Britain's 150 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I'm British - I don't see the problem. What we did to the Irish was reprehensible.
So, just like Slavery, let's let ancient history rule our present and future and mandate the people of today are PUNISHED even though they and nothing to do with it. I just gave you the centerpiece of Democrat, Leftist, Progressive policy. Why are people obsessed with this crap? It is divisive and counterproductive.

Meanwhile China eats all of our lunches.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:56 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
so, just like Slavery, let's let ancient history rule our present and future and mandate the people of today are PUNISHED even though they and nothing to do with it. I just gave you the centerpiece of Democrat, Leftist, Progressive policy.
It seems he was talking about a statement of fact about his own family. Not policy.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:59 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
It seems he was talking about a statement of fact about his own family. Not policy.
These sentiments and attitudes shape policy.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
These sentiments and attitudes shape policy.
We shall see won't we?

I'm going to predict it won't shape any particular policy. Britain needs a trade deal, they are desperate after leaving the EU. The trade deal will be tipped vastly in the US' favor. That's neither here nor there in terms of attitude towards Britain, they left their biggest trading partner. They are weak now.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 AM

962 posts, read 541,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
My thing is this. United-states has a special relationship with the united Kingdom for obvious reasons. Also the United States is at the helm of the former British empire and tries its best to keep the global order. Biden is within his right to feel that he suffers historical pain and legacy of Irish mistreatment from the British. But as an ally and a cultural and economic partner via special relationship. That type of rhetoric should be put at wayside. Yes the British empire is not perfect, and yes the United States helped pick up after its parent nation left fecal matter across the globe. But guess what. Like father, the United States is not all that better either despite having a short time being a global power vs Britain's 150 years.
You're right, America has a long tradition of being afraid of offending Torries. (this is sarcasm, btw)

The British have thick skin; they can take a lesson on the negative aspects of their legacy.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:47 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Did you catch what Joe said about the English driving his family out of Ireland...Ouch!!!...So much for that diplomacy. I guess he doesn't talk to the Queen much (?).

I guess we can look forward to Meghan Markle being appointed ambassador to the UK..."That would get them Joe !"
Sleepy joe has NO idea on what he says ..Just a puppet dangling on strings.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:04 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,743 times
Quote:
I'm British - I don't see the problem. What we did to the Irish was reprehensible.
Yes, bad things were done. But, some Irish credit the British with making them civil. Parts of Ireland had really no education systems - the British did bring in education.

Even towards the end of the 1800s, there were parts of Ireland that the people did not have last names... They were identified by some physical thing associated with them, for instance, Sean of Low Hill, etc. (I just made that name up...But they did have names like that). And they took on last names base on their location...Like taking the name of a local castle).

Plenty groups did plenty of reprehensible things...even within the groups, even within their own towns and villages..Always someone was abusing and using someone else...That is human nature...And we should be progressing away from the anger of the past, and going forward..

Old 03-29-2021, 07:11 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Obiden is a serial liar. Put this one right up there with Corn Pop and his Law School ranking.
Shouldn’t you be more concerned about the pews not being filled?

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx

Church attendance and the share of white non-college voters are dropping like clockwork.

Both are at less than 50%. For better or worse, it’s a different country.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am British and live in Britain and my family were from Ireland, and personally I think Biden should not be coming out with such sentiments regarding an ally.

I am also sure many things in US history are reprehensible, however you wouldn't expect a British PM to come out with a similar statement in relation to the US.

I also wouldn't expect a US President to constantly attack Germany for the holocaust or Russia for Stalin's purges or China for what happened under Mao.

Vietnam saw more bombs dropped on it than during the whole of WW2, then there was Napalm, Agent Orange and more recently double tap drones strikes.

The US also as a history relating to native American Indians right through to the Jim Crow Laws, and there is an old adage that people in glass houses should not throw stones,.

I would suggest that as a national leader Biden shows more tact and diplomacy.
Don't feel too bad. Joe insults white Anglo Americans regularly who have almost entirely British and Irish ancestry. Another poster pointed out awhile back that Biden selected no white Protestants in his cabinet, despite they are the most numerous group. The US hasn't had too many prominent Catholic Irish politicians, but they have mostly been a thorn in the side, like Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden isn't any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies