Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 10:17 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
FL is already a Republican state.

All the Dems have done here, is move GA into the same column, even though the Atlanta Journal Contsitution - GA's biggest liberal paper - now admits the voting law actually makes it easier to vote.

Congrats!
Who says there is anything wrong with a republican run state. I believe the issue is with the new voting laws. MLB has no issue with any new voting law legislation in Florida. Let’s keep it on point.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:20 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I believe the issue is with the new voting laws.

You can "believe" whatever you want.

But I've read the law.

And every single thing the Left has said about it is entirely false.

As I stated (and you ignored): Georgia's own liberal Powerhouse the Atlanta-Journal Constitution has issued a correction and now admit the law actually has a net affect of looser restrictions.

That's the problem with Lefties these days. You believe whatever you want, in spite of the cold hard facts.

It's all about feelings, and virtue signaling - and none of it is authentic.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 AM

89,019 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Can you link to that beg?
I have read every statement she has issued and have not seen it.
She said she was “disappointed” and understood that companies would continue to boycott.
Thanks
Sure: At 2:02 in the video...

Stacey Abrams: "I understand the passion of those calling for boycotts of Georgia following the passage of SB 202. Boycotts have been an important tool throughout our history to achieve social change. But here’s the thing. Black, Latino, AAPI, and Native American voters whose votes are the most suppressed under SB 202 are also the most likely to be hurt by potential boycotts of Georgia. To our friends across the country, please do not boycott us."

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/sta...21977535672321

Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
You can "believe" whatever you want.

But I've read the law.

And every single thing the Left has said about it is entirely false.

As I stated (and you ignored): Georgia's own liberal Powerhouse the Atlanta-Journal Constitution has issued a correction and now admit the law actually has a net affect of looser restrictions.

That's the problem with Lefties these days. You believe whatever you want, in spite of the cold hard facts.

It's all about feelings, and virtue signaling - and none of it is authentic.
Fact: I’ve read this press release and it is clear the reason to change venue. It is not open to interpretation they left because of a singular piece of legislation. Just because you like the new law doesn’t mean the mlb has agreed. Net effect or anyone else’s analysis is irrelevant. Opinions on the law can differ, it is undeniable the reason for the change of venue.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaplan2323 View Post
You keep repeating the same text, even though I am telling you specifically why in context, the GA law is bad.
You keep repeating the same lies, which despite being 100% false, actually ARE irrelevant given the fact that the US Constitution specifically stipulates that state legislatures have jurisdiction over federal elections. Period. County election boards do not. Any and/or all member/s of the state executive branch unilaterally issuing a ruling, guidance, etc., do not. Those are the facts under which federal elections are held, per the US Constitution. Period.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sure: At 2:02 in the video...

Stacey Abrams: "I understand the passion of those calling for boycotts of Georgia following the passage of SB 202. Boycotts have been an important tool throughout our history to achieve social change. But here’s the thing. Black, Latino, AAPI, and Native American voters whose votes are the most suppressed under SB 202 are also the most likely to be hurt by potential boycotts of Georgia. To our friends across the country, please do not boycott us."

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/sta...21977535672321
Thank you for posting that.
I saw it a few days ago but it didn’t sound like a big beg but I can see how you would think it is. I follow, and contribute, to Stacey and get all her emails and tweets and her tone is not begging at all given all the media she puts out. To say she is now begging is disingenuous. She is in fight mode, not beg mode.
She has done amazing work in Georgia. I am a huge fan.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
There’s working class and minorities in Tampa too. One city’s loss is another city’s win. Just like in baseball!
Atlanta is majority Black. Tampa is not. What the MLB is doing is disproportionately, economically negatively impacting Blacks the most.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Atlanta is majority Black. Tampa is not. What the MLB is doing is disproportionately, economically negatively impacting Blacks the most.
41% white in Atlanta, 43% white in Tampa. Not a giant difference. Blacks are not the only minority group hurt by racist voting laws.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:48 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaplan2323 View Post
No, and no need for straw men.

Kemp says that 2020 secure. Yet, organizations, like the Texas one attempted to disenfranche 360,000 voters.

We can all agree that is bad right?

The county election officials didn't let them do it.

We can all agree that's good right?

So when a new law is created right after the election which enables that scenario to play out differently - in other words, the extremist organization makes the claim again - but this time the politicals at the state level would "legally" be able to enable the ploy...

We can all agree that's bad right?
None of that changes the fact that STATE legislatures are who are constitutionally in charge of elections. If a state wanted to they could CONSTITUTIONALLY ban all county election boards.

You have no clue whether the situation would turn out differently. None, you just assume it would. And, by the way, did you bother to read the law?

Quote:
Code section if at least three members of the board find, after notice and hearing, that:
306 (1) By a preponderance of the evidence, a county or municipal superintendent has
307 committed at least three violations of this title or of State Election Board rules and
308 regulations, in the last two general election cycles; and the county or municipal
309 superintendent has not sufficiently remedied the violations;[/u]or
310 (2) By clear and convincing evidence, the county or municipal superintendent has, for
311 at least two elections within a two-year period, demonstrated nonfeasance, malfeasance,
312 or gross negligence in the administration of the elections.
They are not going to be able to run out and immediately take over election boards. Nor can they make a sweeping takeover.
Quote:
277 At no time shall the State Election Board suspend more than four county or municipal
278 superintendents pursuant to subsection (f) of this Code section.
What inspired this move was indeed Fulton County, which by the way, in a bipartisan vote agreed there was an issue:
Quote:
Kathleen Ruth, a Republican, supported the move to fire Barron, citing the need for new leadership after last year's contentious presidential election. “This is not political. This is a bipartisan vote,” Ruth said. “The department needs new leadership that can take Fulton to the next level, modernizing the elections process, making the county’s elections system more accurate and cost-effective and efficient."

Vernetta Keith Nuriddin, the other Democrat on the board, sided with her GOP colleagues in voting to fire Barron. Nuriddin said she was happy with Barron's decision to expand mail-in voting but felt there were too many problems in elections in recent years that could not be overlooked.

“My decision was not based on 2020′s election, but 2017, 2018,” Nuriddin said. “We have just consistent, continual issues around the absentee ballot process.”

The county made headlines during the June primary, with reports of long lines, a COVID-19 outbreak among election workers, and problems with voting machines. Barron called the primary the "single worst day" of his career.
Frankly, he should have been removed after 2018, as should have some others. Those gawd awful lines people talk about as a form of voter suppression were a result of inept local election officials - and they were not Republicans:
Quote:
In Fulton County, home to Atlanta, the capital, a judge extended voting by two hours, until 9 p.m., at Pittman Park Recreational Center because the site had too few voting machines. Voting was extended by three hours, until 10 p.m., at the Archer and Booker T. Washington polling places on the campus of Morehouse College because of significant delays.

The machines at Anderson-Livsey Elementary School in Snellville stopped running after their batteries died. A spokesman for Gwinnett County said that the appropriate power cords had to be retrieved and that the machines were working again around 9:15 a.m.

Alexander said that only a couple of poll workers were checking IDs and that the line "moved at a snail's pace." A judge ordered that the polling station stay open a half-hour late, until 7:30 p.m. That wasn't the only issue in Snellville, a small city in suburban Atlanta: At Annistown Elementary School, faulty polling machines caused a 25-minute delay after the site opened, and people weren't given paper ballots, as is protocol.

The issue was fixed, a Gwinnett County spokesman told NBC News. A judge later ordered that the Annistown polls remain open until 7:25 p.m.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you for posting that.
I saw it a few days ago but it didn’t sound like a big beg but I can see how you would think it is. I follow, and contribute, to Stacey and get all her emails and tweets and her tone is not begging at all given all the media she puts out. To say she is now begging is disingenuous. She is in fight mode, not beg mode.
She has done amazing work in Georgia. I am a huge fan.
Have it your way... Corporations, including the MLB should just continue to economically damage Black, Latino, AAPI, and Native Americans the most with their boycotts, as Stacey Abrams already admitted would happen. Apparently, the left believes their economic well-being is expendable. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies