Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 03:08 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
People who care about others tend to have mental health issues because they're concerned with the state of the world. It makes sense. Anxiety is a mental health issue common among many liberals because they care about others. Apparently you thought this study was supposed to make liberals look bad? Young "liberal" women are in need of help, according to this study, and you're trying to make it into some sort of weird insult? That rather proves the point that some people think that being selfish is an admirable character trait, I guess?

Another factor is conservatives' inability to comprehend what they read, which will skew the results of the study. Look up there in this thread about mental health and all these posters talking about levels of "physical attractiveness," which is neither here nor there. I'd bet that the posters in this thread congratulate themselves on how "smart" they are, all the while proving the very opposite through their non sequiturs. Typical in a thread like this, of course. It all boils down to the 'little woman being purty, doin' what she's "supposed to do," and lookin' cute in her trump hat fer the boys.'

Someone once pointed out that "liberals" will use their "compassion" and support of "social justice" to give themselves permission to be total bastards to those they interact with in real life. Think Pete Campbell on Mad Men.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:12 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
As to why it is that conservative women tend to be more attractive, my theory is that it's because they're more comfortable in their own skin. Someone who is truly attractive is beautiful on the inside as well as the outside. So even if you find a physically attractive liberal woman, her unsettled personality is going to detract from her overall sense of attractiveness.
I'm wondering about theories as to why there are so few physically attractive American men. Especially ones who are also (genuinely) decent, confident, intelligent, responsible, with no addictions!, and whose personalities don't detract from their attractiveness. Beautiful on the inside as well on the outside.

Might as well be looking for a unicorn.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:16 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Correlation does not imply causation.

It's not that liberalism causes mental illness, or that mental illness causes liberalism.

The most likely explanation is that a common source causes both mental illness and liberal politics. For the demographic in question it's probably body issues, which alienate the individual from society.
Well, we have been witnessing what the Democrats in power are doing this year, and I can say with confidence that they are insane. At least the people who Democrats are electing into public office are insane, and so are their corporate CEOs.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I could be that more women that identify as liberals believe in mental health writ large, you need to go to a health professional to be diagnosed, if you stay in your trailer park drinking mountain dews and smoking Marlboros while looking for Q drops to self medicate then you wont be diagnosed.
Exactly. Younger women are more apt to be liberal and younger women feel less stigma regarding asking for meds to help with mental health issues like depression or anxiety. Over 50%? Yeah, liberal women have had a rough few years with Trump and the pandemic. Losing jobs, losing loved ones, home schooling. No wonder they're stressed and depressed.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:28 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,006 times
It has been said countless times: liberalism is a mental disorder by itself.
Now we have scientific proof

Old 04-15-2021, 03:36 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I'm wondering about theories as to why there are so few physically attractive American men. Especially ones who are also (genuinely) decent, confident, intelligent, responsible, with no addictions!, and whose personalities don't detract from their attractiveness. Beautiful on the inside as well on the outside.

Might as well be looking for a unicorn.
Well maybe Pew Research has done a study on that.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:51 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Exactly. Younger women are more apt to be liberal and younger women feel less stigma regarding asking for meds to help with mental health issues like depression or anxiety. Over 50%? Yeah, liberal women have had a rough few years with Trump and the pandemic. Losing jobs, losing loved ones, home schooling. No wonder they're stressed and depressed.
The topic of this thread isn't that stress and depression haven't increased over the past year, but rather that liberal white women are more apt to have a mental health issue than are conservative white women. For there to be a difference in the rates between these two groups, COVID would have to have a disparate impact on these two groups. Do you believe that to be the case?

Old 04-15-2021, 03:59 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,287,342 times
I'm enjoying reading all the posts from people pontificating....when it's obvious they didn't read the article or the study

....it has nothing to do with stigmas and that crap

they sampled groups equally

and out of the same amount of liberal moderate and conservative white women....

they found this > "White women, ages 18-29, who identified as liberal were given a mental health diagnosis from medical professionals at a rate of 56.3%, as compared to 28.4% in moderates and 27.3% in conservatives."

Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You actually have what I think is a valid point. Too bad you had to express it using a broad-brush stereotype about conservatives.
Well it's true. Conservatives tend to be skeptical if not fully reject therapy/mental healthcare that isn't provided by their church or religious institution. Mental health issues are also many times written off as "spiritual" issues or issues of demonic influence/possession.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanchy_ View Post
So what exactly accounts for having a mental disorder? I guess if we were back in the 20s:

“Your wife is speaking out! This is madness, you need to take her to get a lobotomy immediately. Your daughter too since I saw her riding with a black man in the front!”.
Sounds like you may need a safe room. So many white women in college today cannot even function unless they have several safe rooms available across campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies