Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 07:13 PM

18,428 posts, read 8,262,327 times

Advertisements

I'm shocked......

...so there is a correlation between holding liberals ideas and mental illness

at least that's what Pew Research found

"The study, which examined white liberals, moderates, and conservatives, both male and female, found that conservatives were far less likely to be diagnosed with mental health issues than those who identified as either liberal or even “very liberal.” What’s more, white women suffered the worst of all. White women, ages 18-29, who identified as liberal were given a mental health diagnosis from medical professionals at a rate of 56.3%, as compared to 28.4% in moderates and 27.3% in conservatives."

https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/ov...alth-condition

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...111439872.html

Old 04-14-2021, 07:16 PM

379 posts, read 155,543 times
Out of curiosity — I check the profiles of many of the trollish liberal commenters on Facebook...often overweight, unattractive cat ladies.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:24 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
Out of curiosity — I check the profiles of many of the trollish liberal commenters on Facebook...often overweight, unattractive cat ladies.
Correlation does not imply causation.

It's not that liberalism causes mental illness, or that mental illness causes liberalism.

The most likely explanation is that a common source causes both mental illness and liberal politics. For the demographic in question it's probably body issues, which alienate the individual from society.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:34 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
There’s no question conservative women as a whole seem to be more attractive. I don’t know why that is. My fiancé though is 39 and heavily liberal and is beautiful. When I first met her I thought for sure she was going to be a hardcore conservative til we got 2 hours into the date and I could easily sense she wasn’t really

Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,311,569 times
The question asked was "Has a doctor ever told you that you have a mental health condition." Certain people might be more apt to seek help for that. Young white women probably lead the demographic in that. Over 50% is concerning either way.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:51 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,427,415 times
No surprise there.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:56 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I'm shocked......

...so there is a correlation between holding liberals ideas and mental illness

at least that's what Pew Research found

"The study, which examined white liberals, moderates, and conservatives, both male and female, found that conservatives were far less likely to be diagnosed with mental health issues than those who identified as either liberal or even “very liberal.” What’s more, white women suffered the worst of all. White women, ages 18-29, who identified as liberal were given a mental health diagnosis from medical professionals at a rate of 56.3%, as compared to 28.4% in moderates and 27.3% in conservatives."

https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/ov...alth-condition

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...111439872.html

Mentally ill, over weight, homely, depressed, and miserable- the typical liberal.

Liberalism is the religion of self hate that caters to those who lack confidence and have low self esteem.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:57 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

It's not that liberalism causes mental illness, or that mental illness causes liberalism.

The most likely explanation is that a common source causes both mental illness and liberal politics. For the demographic in question it's probably body issues, which alienate the individual from society.
That common source would be intelligence but I didn't want to go there.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:00 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,341,315 times
This actually does not surprise me in the least.

The reason is that liberals are not satisfied with the way things are, and conservatives are satisfied the status quo. I think this translates to conservatives being more content and happy with their lives AS IS.

However, I think that we will soon start seeing higher rates of depression in conservatives, as they see their way of life vanishing.

(I could be wrong, of course.)

Also, as noted, I am fairly sure that liberals are more likely to see psychotherapy, and hence, more likely to be told that they have some kind of mental health disorder.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

How about you have to be mentally ill to be a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies