Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:16 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

OP, State sanctioned murder by police with little repercussions is The difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 02:17 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's exactly what policist and civilian supremacist say.
Can only speak for myself and everyone I know who has had similar bad experiences. Maybe we are the rare exceptions. When I have complained about blatant mistreatment I get no response from the authorities. I believe I am owed some kind of explanation on how my encounter was an exception or how they plan on addressing the obvious poor procedures- but we get nada.
Why do the police think they don’t need to answer to their constituents? Every other public service does. It feels, to me, not right. Just because they have a very hard job doesn’t mean they can’t do better.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I remember when the George Floyd thing happened my company sent out an email about how horrific it was. For at least a month anytime I went to any website or social media i was flooded with ads about racism. Now it feels like the same thing is happening again. My company president sent out another email about the recent police shootings. At this point these acknowledgements feel like cover your butt emails because if you dont acknowledge this people will think you don't care and are racist....People are murdered every day, he didn't acknowledge the 7 year old girl killed over the weekend or the grandmother killed last weekend by a stray bullet in our city. Why does there have to be a corporate announcement from all angles about this.

I dont think anyone 'should' die at the hands of police but I'm kind of tired of it being turned into this huge tragic event anytime it does. Again no one deserves to die by hands of police, but none of these people were innocent in this. Why don't these corporate leaders feel the need to recognize this? Like hey, we also need to wonder why a 13 year old boy was running the streets at midnight with a loaded gun...or maybe we should wonder why a 20 year old had a warrant out for his arrest and also already has a baby. Clearly their lives werent going as planned and they were headed for trouble. It seems like these issues are swept under the rug and they only thing that matters is that they were killed police.

When were the police authorized to act as jurors and pass sentence on "these people"? I can't seem to find any indication of that in the Constitution.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I wonder how much of it is programmed and how much comes from personal experiences. I think most normal law abiding citizens have a horrible story about police abuse they can share. Bring up the topic at some upper middle class dinner party or backyard bbq and you’ll get lots of cringe worthy stories.
Sure, most everyone has a story of some kind of abuse. Searching teenagers' cars without warrants was common when I was a kid. Probably still is.

Had a cop threaten to "beat [me] to a bloody pulp" in the alley behind my apartment once. This was before the Rodney King incident, so bad cops had no reason to suspect they'd get caught for stuff like that. I'm fairly certain that the only reason I walked away from that intact was because I was being very respectful and exceptionally careful with the words I used. It was clear he was thinking about it, then something lit up in his eyes and he just wrote me a ticket and left, instead. Maybe he decided to go beat up his wife or something. I don't know.

But that's not the only encounter I've had with police. It's hard to say that getting pulled over is a positive experience, but as far as the interactions go, they've mostly been pretty good.

I've also had a gaggle of them with their weapons drawn and pointed at me. I won't get into the details of why, but again, all things considered, they ultimately did nothing wrong and by understanding the situation and being careful, I was able to minimize the risk I was facing.

A couple of decisions I made while still pretty young worked pretty well for me when I was younger and more mischievous.

First, don't get caught. Duh, right? But really, it needs to be said. If you're going to do something that could draw the attention of the police, don't be a dumbass. Think it through as best as you can beforehand. I'm not talking about bank robberies and stuff, but things as basic as speeding. Anything which has a reasonably high probability of ending in an interface with police. This point boils down to being able to control your impulsiveness.

Second, if you're caught, you're caught. Don't try to escape, and don't argue. If you fail at step one, step two is to make the job of the cop who caught you as easy and forgettable as possible. When your trial date comes around, you don't want that cop remembering a damn thing about the encounter, and if they do, it must be positive. "He was very compliant." "He followed my instructions." etc. The last thing a jury should hear is that you were belligerent. Nobody's ever argued their way out of a ticket or arrest.

That's it. In a nutshell, think about your actions and be nice. That's how you avoid the majority of problems people have with the police.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:28 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I wonder how much of it is programmed and how much comes from personal experiences. I think most normal law abiding citizens have a horrible story about police abuse they can share. Bring up the topic at some upper middle class dinner party or backyard bbq and you’ll get lots of cringe worthy stories.
99% of the time, people don’t want to admit they were breaking the law or doing something wrong. It is same reason that even violent criminals don’t think they’re doing anything bad either.

That is human nature.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
State agents murdering people is always a big deal.

I mean, if you aren’t pure evil and all.
So was Ashli murdered or not?

Old 04-19-2021, 02:49 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
99% of the time, people don’t want to admit they were breaking the law or doing something wrong. It is same reason that even violent criminals don’t think they’re doing anything bad either.

That is human nature.
Easy to assess. If you were never issued a summons or you pleaded not guilty and the judge dismissed because they thought it was outrageous, you would infer that the person wasn’t doing anything wrong.
And even if you were speeding, no excuse to be sexually touched, called racial slurs, threatened to be beaten up, etc. this is not how humans behave.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:58 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrombopulosMichael View Post
Ashli was an aggressor, her actions were literally attacking a federal building and the cops were defending. It isn't the same as a cop killing someone while running, or already on the ground. It wasn't a murder, it was defense.

Everyone knows these aren't ordinary cops and any threat is met with lethal force.
Just about everyone shot by the police were an "aggressor". She was an unarmed public building trespasser. So I guess BLM/Antifa protester can be summarily shot just for entering police stations and courthouses. We'll call that self defense.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:18 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I remember when the George Floyd thing happened my company sent out an email about how horrific it was. For at least a month anytime I went to any website or social media i was flooded with ads about racism. Now it feels like the same thing is happening again. My company president sent out another email about the recent police shootings. At this point these acknowledgements feel like cover your butt emails because if you dont acknowledge this people will think you don't care and are racist....People are murdered every day, he didn't acknowledge the 7 year old girl killed over the weekend or the grandmother killed last weekend by a stray bullet in our city. Why does there have to be a corporate announcement from all angles about this.

I dont think anyone 'should' die at the hands of police but I'm kind of tired of it being turned into this huge tragic event anytime it does. Again no one deserves to die by hands of police, but none of these people were innocent in this. Why don't these corporate leaders feel the need to recognize this? Like hey, we also need to wonder why a 13 year old boy was running the streets at midnight with a loaded gun...or maybe we should wonder why a 20 year old had a warrant out for his arrest and also already has a baby. Clearly their lives werent going as planned and they were headed for trouble. It seems like these issues are swept under the rug and they only thing that matters is that they were killed police.
Because that is the ONLY thing that matters. I care about policing and how it can affect me, I don't care about people's life choices.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:44 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
A policeman, like a soldier, has a split-second to make a decision. Human error is inevitable. Yet the news media gives them unlimited coverage and the rioters come from all over to loot and burn, without really caring about the victim.

As the media continues giving airtime, it only fuels the flames and brings people from other states and areas with an excuse to loot. And worst yet, the WH does nothing.
Part of the problem is that policemen are NOT soldiers and everyone they meet is not the enemy or potential enemy.

They do have to make split-second decisions but too often it is to use undue force or lethal force. Of all the possibly millions of split-second decisions that all police officers have to make in a day, a certain relatively small number are going to be wrong. But the wrong decisions are sometimes catastrophic and fatal when they could be less focused on forcing compliance. The citizen is also trying to process the situation and they have no investment or intention to escalate a confrontation in most cases. Why automatically think the opposite?

If Joe the shoplifter runs away from a police apprehension is it a capital offense? Should there be a police shooting because some guy got away with some petty theft or didn't stop when told to stop? If someone is walking down the street minding their own business (as happens often enough), why stop them? This isn't Fallujah or Kabul. Yeah -- the guy might get agitated with being stopped by the police for no reason and the episode might escalate -- but where does the blame lie if he gets shot? Suddenly a non-event becomes a confrontation and then an escalation to resisting arrest and then a shooting and then a demonstration and then a riot and a media circus -- and more often than not - no charges filed and no official consequences.

Why blame the media -- why isn't this news? They are not staging the shootings. If Michael Brown had been left alone, walking down the middle of the street in some suburban apartment complex, we would likely not have BLM and the constant cycle of news stories. We have the "Oh, see -- there's another one" situation going on. And the "another ones" are piling up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies