Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 05:47 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I wouldnt call police in an emergency either! I would deal with it on my own, I feel confident that Im capable of that, if Im wrong, so be it...I would accept that too.
Maybe you wouldn't, but very few people truthfully agree with you. This woman isn't one of those people. One look at her is all I need to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 05:52 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
i dont understand where the gotcha is? You can very well feel like if you call the cops they are likely to make a bad situation worse, they are likely to have implicit biases, that can lead to an erosion of trust. That doesnt mean that there isnt an scenario where she would have no choice but to call the cops. The issue is that there shouldnt be this lack of trust. The professor pays for the police, the police isnt doing her a favor. Her position is not inconsistent, the professor would have to assume that is a bad faith argument just based on its quality. I would not entertain it as well.
Well...that lack of trust is on her and her alone. And, yes, her position is inconsistent. She knew it, too, and didn't want to admit it. That's why she abruptly ended the class.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:17 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
i dont understand where the gotcha is? You can very well feel like if you call the cops they are likely to make a bad situation worse, they are likely to have implicit biases, that can lead to an erosion of trust. That doesnt mean that there isnt an scenario where she would have no choice but to call the cops. The issue is that there shouldnt be this lack of trust. The professor pays for the police, the police isnt doing her a favor. Her position is not inconsistent, the professor would have to assume that is a bad faith argument just based on its quality. I would not entertain it as well.
What are you talking about, "bad faith argument?" The point is that she said she would never call the police, and the kid's pointing out that she's full of beans. As is everyone else here who's making the same claim, I'd wager.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:49 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
What are you talking about, "bad faith argument?" The point is that she said she would never call the police, and the kid's pointing out that she's full of beans. As is everyone else here who's making the same claim, I'd wager.
Well said Wish I could rep you again.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:01 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Uglybooger, look at today. Another California man who just died after being held on his stomach by police for 5 minutes. George Floyd and numerous examples in the past year. The 22 year old example is to support my statement it has been happening for decades without repercussions for the police involved. I guess you didn't bother to read that part.
Without repercussions? I guess you didn't bother to watch the outcome of the Floyd trial.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
This teacher is not wrong. Police are fine and all but it's best not to call them unless it's something serious. Parents who call the cops on their kids for things like pot are idiots. Law enforcement officers are trained to find people breaking the law. Sometimes it's best to settle things without them. Play it smart.

This is one of those issues where it's kind of a grey area with me... I don't hate police but I don't pledge my undying allegiance to them either.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Without repercussions? I guess you didn't bother to watch the outcome of the Floyd trial.
Well it's a small step forward and people didn't know if it would happen. Think about what the trial would been like if Floyd killed Chauvin. Would there be any doubt he would have gotten 1st degree murder? That's what is called a double standard. When the cops pay for their crimes just like everyone else, that will be be a start.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:23 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Listen to the whole three minutes instead of picking one statement out of context. Are you saying police in the south during slavery didn't capture run away slaves? She thanked the student for his comments and he thanked her at the end of the conversation. Their actual words. How is that berating the sudent? But by all means, I'm all about hearing you explain that one.
Lol @ out of context. What a steamer that one is.

You're unable to objectively discuss anything political, brain just shuts off and you go into Team D mode.

I won't waste my time further.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:33 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...out&li=BBnbfcL

From the article:

When the student asked his professor whether she would call police in an emergency, she claimed she wouldn't call law enforcement because she doesn't trust them.

'My life's more in danger in their presence… I wouldn't call anybody,' she said.

When Ellis questioned what she would do if an intruder came into her home, the professor said the class was over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for the student for speaking up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The college issued this statement:

Cypress College takes great pride in fostering a learning environment for students where ideas and opinions are exchanged as a vital piece of the educational journey.

Our community fully embraces this culture; students often defend one another's rights to express themselves freely, even when opinions differ.

Any efforts to suppress free and respectful expression on our campus will not be tolerated.

The adjunct professor will be taking a leave of absence for the duration of her assignment at Cypress College. This was her first course at Cypress and she had previously indicated her intention to not return in the fall.
Who is the WOKE one in this scenario?
The professor is clearly lying and full of it. Some people are, nothing new. Student runs to the media to report it? Really, isn't this just a Conservative "Woke" Moment in response to a Professor WOKE moment?

Isn't this just a Clash of Wokeness?

They have both made themselves out as idiots in my book.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:35 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lol @ out of context. What a steamer that one is.

You're unable to objectively discuss anything political, brain just shuts off and you go into Team D mode.

I won't waste my time further.
"She thanked the student for his comments and he thanked her at the end of the conversation. Their actual words. How is that berating the student?" Mathguy unable to understand this concept. Brain rejects facts. Sees steamers. Clutches pearls as the woke monsters approach, followed by the liberal commies who are sucking people's brains. Brain shuts off. Leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies