Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 04:51 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times

Advertisements

Anecdotal evidence I ordered a couch from (nice store name here). The last time I spent a lot of money there the salesperson was able to find me a discount code. This time I was told they were too far behind and suspended doing that. 5 months out for a couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 04:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Wanted: Skilled machinist with at least five years of experience. Degree preferred. Welding certifications helpful. Must have own tools. Work rotating 2and and 3rd shifts. Switch every three weeks.

Pay: Minimum wage.
^This. It is why manufacturing jobs are considered "dirty". You are treated like crap, expected to be happy with no work-life balance, and the pay is sub-par. I get that they are competing on a global market and in many cases artificially low costs of Chinese labor. However, I have family who was required to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week for months on end. He was basically a zombie. It's wrong and now the manufacturers want to cry about labor shortage? Keep crying until you start treating people like human beings.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:58 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Wanted: Skilled machinist with at least five years of experience. Degree preferred. Welding certifications helpful. Must have own tools. Work rotating 2and and 3rd shifts. Switch every three weeks.

And yet another person who did not read the article.

From the article:
Quote:
Even though millions of Americans remain out of work as the pandemic continues, the Deloitte report said "many manufacturers can't fill" entry-level production associate positions that do not require technical knowhow and pay well above the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

Those positions — including assemblers, production work helpers and hand-held tool cutters — only require a "basic level of 'human capabilities' such as following directions, willingness to learn and follow-through," according to the report. In theory, they could be filled by people laid off in the hospitality or restaurant sectors as well as high school graduates.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Desperately....is relative. But the proof is in the pudding...if they don’t find “exactly” what they are looking for, they won’t hire. Nor they’ll offer higher wages. That indicates they aren’t so desperate.... 50 years ago they did exactly that: initiated massive training programs and offered higher salaries and incentives.
Exactly this....!! They want low cost labor but don't want to spend time training less experienced new hires.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:03 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
As the article noted, this is not a new problem.

I've been reading about this problem for almost 20 years.

Well then. they'll just have pay more.

Perhaps the executives that responded to the survey could give up some of their own hardly-earned cash.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:05 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
^This. It is why manufacturing jobs are considered "dirty". You are treated like crap, expected to be happy with no work-life balance, and the pay is sub-par. I get that they are competing on a global market and in many cases artificially low costs of Chinese labor. However, I have family who was required to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week for months on end. He was basically a zombie. It's wrong and now the manufacturers want to cry about labor shortage? Keep crying until you start treating people like human beings.
This is how globalism hurts the national free market. Instead of reacting to market conditions with higher wages, more benefits and better working conditions they make a plea for more cheap and desperate foreign labor.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Anecdotal evidence I ordered a couch from (nice store name here). The last time I spent a lot of money there the salesperson was able to find me a discount code. This time I was told they were too far behind and suspended doing that. 5 months out for a couch.
They used Covid as an excuse for furniture delivery delays.

The Suez Canal incident and the ice storm in Texas were also thrown in for good measure.

Now they claim gas and ketchup are going to be hard to come by.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They used Covid as an excuse for furniture delivery delays.

The Suez Canal incident and the ice storm in Texas were also thrown in for good measure.

Now they claim gas and ketchup are going to be hard to come by.
:: logs out:: goes and buys ketchup.

That's what is being said about the freakish housing market too. Im going to be really put out if I cant buy what I want when I want it.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
:: logs out:: goes and buys ketchup.

That's what is being said about the freakish housing market too. Im going to be really put out if I cant buy what I want when I want it.
Yeah, the housing market is a sellers' paradise right now. The extended/expanded unemployment benefits, moratoriums on evictions/foreclosures, and people still being cautious are really putting a strain on supply.

My sister ordered a bedroom set and got the bulk of it in 3 months. The last part, a lone dresser, was delivered 7 months later after being delayed numerous times. They called her periodically and blamed Covid over and over again.

Her husband is pretty handy with tools. I told him he should have cut down a tree and built his own dresser for that kind of wait.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yeah, the housing market is a sellers' paradise right now. The extended/expanded unemployment benefits, moratoriums on evictions/foreclosures, and people still being cautious are really putting a strain on supply.

My sister ordered a bedroom set and got the bulk of it in 3 months. The last part, a lone dresser, was delivered 7 months later after being delayed numerous times. They called her periodically and blamed Covid over and over again.

Her husband is pretty handy with tools. I told him he should have cut down a tree and built his own dresser for that kind of wait.
Dont people in unemployment benefits still have to show they are looking for work? I know someone who lost their job at the beginning and that requirement was lifted temporarily but then it ended and they've been working for a good 9 months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies