Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:03 AM

20,881 posts, read 9,569,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Yes, I mentioned minorities for the very simple reason that a narrow-minded Democrat poster fails to understand. Democrats started with the exploitation of minorities (known as slavery). Slavery has continued throughout the decades with welfare. When minorities escape welfare, aka the Democratic plantation, Democrats shame them. In fact, Democrats shame all minorities whatever race, if they do not allow themselves to be exploited. ...
All of which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with labor shortages in manufacturing (aside from the fact your spiel is false in and of itself, but I digress). As I said, your only interest is in tagging your political opponents with blame for every ill in society you come across. You will even change the topic in order to do so. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 08:38 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,463,892 times
My grandmother supported a family of 5 on a low skill factory job in the 60s and 70s as a single mother. It also enabled her to save for a comfortable retirement.

Today, you better be able to live at home if you work a low-skill factory job because you can't pay rent on an average 1 bedroom apartment on that salary. Is it any wonder why they can't find solid workers when they pay so little?

Old 05-05-2021, 12:25 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,243,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
More absurdity. So, Mad_Jasper, what websites do to you follow that have indoctrinated you into thinking the way you do?
The absurdity is that my local pub is having to close two days a week. Not because of lack of business, but lack of workers. The owner was showing me texts from other local restaurant owners closing 2-3 days a week, and as of today, two restaurants closing indefinitely because they cannot find employees.

The sushi restaurant a few blocks away has lost 70% of its staff due to government benefits. One of the best beach restaurants in the Emerald Coast no longer opens for lunch, because they cannot find employees.

When you don't have to pay rent and can collect federal funds for sitting on your ass, why bother?

Oh, but the day of reckoning is coming.....

Old 05-05-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
All of which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with labor shortages in manufacturing (aside from the fact your spiel is false in and of itself, but I digress). As I said, your only interest is in tagging your political opponents with blame for every ill in society you come across. You will even change the topic in order to do so. Pathetic.
Democrats are not my political opponents, politicians are.

But Democrats are very much responsible for using taxpayer funds to create a large (about half of America today) dependent class.

And that is why people won't work. Because they don't have to.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:43 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In a break from the tradition of this thread, I actually read the article.

"Manufacturing has traditionally been older, whiter and more male," said Carolyn Lee, executive director of The Manufacturing Institute.

Looks like it's the older, white guys who are loafing on government benefits.

Bunch of freeloaders.
Either that or they are retiring, or found other jobs that satisfy them.

But if a factory wants to pay a skilled, experienced worker the same or less than what they get from gov benefits, I reckon the pay is pretty low then. I also doubt a skilled, experienced worker is going to decide to cut their pay to just kick it back on some unemployment benefits.

Usually people who have a skill and decades of experience, and say make $100k/yr now, will not suddenly decide to loaf around and some relatively paltry unemployment benefits.

Quote:
The absurdity is that my local pub is having to close two days a week. Not because of lack of business, but lack of workers. The owner was showing me texts from other local restaurant owners closing 2-3 days a week, and as of today, two restaurants closing indefinitely because they cannot find employees.

The sushi restaurant a few blocks away has lost 70% of its staff due to government benefits. One of the best beach restaurants in the Emerald Coast no longer opens for lunch, because they cannot find employees.

When you don't have to pay rent and can collect federal funds for sitting on your ass, why bother?

Oh, but the day of reckoning is coming.....
Your local pub needs to increase compensation to attract workers, it is a very simply concept, lol.

And you are incorrect on the sushi place, the benefits end when the employer requests the worker to come back, if the worker does not want to, it is considered a voluntary termination and the unemployment benefits end.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:48 PM

20,881 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Quote:
Democrats are not my political opponents, politicians are.

But Democrats are very much responsible for using taxpayer funds to create a large (about half of America today) dependent class.

And that is why people won't work. Because they don't have to.
Your racist views are on full display, as you've emphasized the minorities who supposedly don't want to work to collect welfare instead. As if it's just minorities who collect welfare and don't work! It's funny the Trumpers here kept bragging about how low the black unemployment rate had gotten prior to the epidemic, but according to you, no, they were really all on welfare.

And no, half of Americans aren't on welfare, either.

As if all that weren't enough, it doesn't seem to have occurred to you that these workers - minority or otherwise - aren't choosing welfare over work in a factory, they're choosing non-factory work over work in a factory. Other people in this thread have pointed out exactly that factor, but because it denies you a chance to rant against democrats, you ignore that possibility.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Either that or they are retiring, or found other jobs that satisfy them.

But if a factory wants to pay a skilled, experienced worker the same or less than what they get from gov benefits, I reckon the pay is pretty low then. I also doubt a skilled, experienced worker is going to decide to cut their pay to just kick it back on some unemployment benefits.

Usually people who have a skill and decades of experience, and say make $100k/yr now, will not suddenly decide to loaf around and some relatively paltry unemployment benefits.

Your local pub needs to increase compensation to attract workers, it is a very simply concept, lol.

And you are incorrect on the sushi place, the benefits end when the employer requests the worker to come back, if the worker does not want to, it is considered a voluntary termination and the unemployment benefits end.
It is not a simple concept when the federal government interferes with the free market via handouts.

The president is also asking the Department of Labor to clarify to states that workers have a “federally-guaranteed right to refuse employment that would jeopardize their health” and still qualify for unemployment insurance (UI) during the pandemic, Deese said.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Skilled welders and skilled machinists. How many high schools even teach those skills anymore ?
They don't. So there are tech colleges in some towns, such as this one that teach welding and machining for starters.

https://www.meridiantech.edu/program...and-machining/

Old 05-05-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Your racist views are on full display, as you've emphasized the minorities who supposedly don't want to work to collect welfare instead. As if it's just minorities who collect welfare and don't work! It's funny the Trumpers here kept bragging about how low the black unemployment rate had gotten prior to the epidemic, but according to you, no, they were really all on welfare.

And no, half of Americans aren't on welfare, either.

As if all that weren't enough, it doesn't seem to have occurred to you that these workers - minority or otherwise - aren't choosing welfare over work in a factory, they're choosing non-factory work over work in a factory. Other people in this thread have pointed out exactly that factor, but because it denies you a chance to rant against democrats, you ignore that possibility.
Do you even read before speaking?

https://mises.org/wire/more-half-ame...-it-pays-taxes

we still need to add 8.4 million jobs to catch up to pre-pandemic levels.

There are more jobs available than workers to fill positions due to artificial means.

But racism.... Democrats go-to response for everything.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They don't. So there are tech colleges in some towns, such as this one that teach welding and machining for starters.

https://www.meridiantech.edu/program...and-machining/
I learned welding in high school. Also, balancing a check book, basic cooking skills, how to wash clothes, and some other nifty life skills that got me off to a good start at independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies