Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:49 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
You mean kind like that $1400 Biden handed out? Oh I see, so you did turn that money back in correct?
Really? Biden handed out $1,400 to only cops and first responders? WOW! I didnt even see that occur! Thanks for informing me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 08:27 PM

4,909 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
ahh yes, buying off the police force so they will support your authoritarian views. a classic tactic.

But the other side of it is.....yup. They went to work every day-just like everyone else for the most part. Is he giving money to fast food workers? How about doctors? Nurses?

Nope. Hes funding the folks with guns that he wants to support him.
Ahh yes, the standard canned looney Leftist response. Once liberals, progressives and leftists goes into emotional mode, which takes less an a second, reason and common sense are impossible for them to process.

DeSantis is looking at the bigger picture... It’s far easier AND cheaper to pay a cop or a fireman a one time $1,000.00 check then to keep hiring cops who are getting tired of all the ANTIFA/BLM BS and quitting or retiring.

Most every major cities are loosing all their experienced cops because of all this BS. But to the looney Left, in their twisted minds, they “think” that by having a revolving door where departments are force to hire new cops constantly is a good thing. Trust me, in today’s anti-police environment, it doesn’t take long for a new and young cop to say screw it and go back to Starbucks.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:31 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
You mean you deflected from the topic. Because honestly your argument doesnt change mine. Replace the word "truck and delivery drivers" and my argument doesnt change.

Don't get bent out of shape because I called you out on your idiotic claim that "pizza delivery drivers" are more likely to die on the job than cops.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
ahh yes, buying off the police force so they will support your authoritarian views. a classic tactic.

But the other side of it is.....yup. They went to work every day-just like everyone else for the most part. Is he giving money to fast food workers? How about doctors? Nurses?

Nope. Hes funding the folks with guns that he wants to support him.
I would much rather give LEOs and other people who serve the public an extra $1,000 than give it to those people who don't work for a living and don't WANT to work for a living.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-05-2021 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-05-2021, 09:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
All bolding added by me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Then prove what I said wrong, and I'll apologize in this very thread. Go ahead, prove me wrong, don't provide any other posts but mine to make yourself correct. Go ahead, do it....PROVE to everyone I lied, as you are clearly stating. I'll wait, but not holding my breath.
Sure, this is what you said. Let me highlight the issue. Obviously im not holding my breath on you apologizing.

Your claim:
Post #55:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It is...LOL....

Not the point, you want protection but don't support those ****ty jobs that you'll be the first to run to and crying for, for protection.
Now. youve been reading all these nonsense posts saying similar things as you because apparently yall are more focused on attacking me then actually talking about this topic. I just called you out specifically. But heres what I have said so far:

Heres me pointing that its HOW its being done, not whats being done:
Quote:
Im against individuals doing it in such a way as to promote loyalty to them.

Give them a raise, something that matters. But a one time 1K? Feels more like bribery. History is FULL of examples of this, where money paid to police and military is designed to make them respond more positively to that politicians actions against the populations interests.
I tried responding to a earlier person lying about me, indicating once again.....raises.
Quote:
Maybe you should read what I have said here before making yourself look foolish. I literally have suggested they get raises that would be more beneficial to them.

Any more nonsense you want to claim?
Me pointing it out yet again:
Quote:
LOL. A fair criticism

It doesnt change that giving money to the people with money in one time bonuses has a well know correlation throughout history. And again note-Id rather they got raises.
And heres me saying it should be more then the 1K:
Quote:
I think because of the non stop historical precedents that exist, im going to have to disagree.

Give them a 2K raise then. But bonuses are damaging to countries political stability when given to those with guns.
Me discussing some of why again, and a alternative method if it has to be funded via the state, and yet again pointing folks are straight up misrepresenting me:
Quote:
Read my prior posts. Theres a difference between giving money to a ton of folks for stimulus, and giving people with the guns in a society a "bonus" thats targeted. And I point out that there are historical reasons for this.

Its one of the better pushbacks that misses my point entirely, so I appreciate that.

Correct. id even prefer a higher salary increase then the bonus.

Shrug, call it a "retention bonus" then and make it monthly for a year at 2K instead of one.

Its the corrupting influence it has.

Folks who seem to think im anti-police etc miss the fact Id rather give them more money, then money this way.

Now do you see my point? Ive had people non stop accuse me of being anti-police......because I suggested they get more money, but in a different way.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:22 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Quick-who is more likely to die at work? The guy delivering pizzas, or the cop?

https://scapimag.com/2021/01/08/the-...n-being-a-cop/
This isn`t 2016 any more.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:22 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Heres me pointing that its HOW its being done, not whats being done:

Now do you see my point? Ive had people non stop accuse me of being anti-police......because I suggested they get more money, but in a different way.
No good deed goes uncriticized.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Desantis does this every year with a different group to buy votes. Last year it was teachers, the year before it was Florida Public Health workers within the Florida Dept. of Health, teachers were mixed in a few years ago as well.

I don't know if he is buying votes, just a kind guy, or if the bonus is the way the state circumvents raises and extra contributions to the retirement fund of state employees.

Keep in mind some state agencies like the Dept have had only one pay raise in almost 14 years. Their turnover rate is over 20% which is huge considering it is a state job with a pension. FedEx is like 6% with no pension and I am sure they work harder, the State pay is really low considering the responsibility of some of the positions.

I only know this because I have hired nurses to work in Infection Prevention and Control from the health dept. because it is difficult to find nurses that understand reportable diseases and how to do them correctly, and parameters for discharge that have to be in place so my service can get them out of the hospital.

They had receipts too as you can actually look up any state employee salary online in Florida. Nurses working in serious areas like Tuberculosis and HIV were making $10,000 less than what new nurses were making on graduation at hospitals and private clinics.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:43 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
[

Quote:
Quick-who is more likely to die at work? The guy delivering pizzas, or the cop?

https://scapimag.com/2021/01/08/the-...n-being-a-cop/
If the pizza delivery guys and gals are considered first responders, sure, give it to them.

Last time I checked, a first responder is a person with specialized training who is among the first to arrive and provide assistance at the scene of an emergency, such as an accident, natural disaster, or terrorism. First responders typically include law enforcement officers, paramedics, EMT's and firefighters.

Pizza delivery guys, nurses, doctors... their jobs are all important and you can even argue their jobs are more dangerous than a cop's job, but these folks are not considered first responders.

If police officers are no longer first responders, sure, don't give it to them, but they are still first responders.

Your logic seems flawed. By the way, one time Thank you bonus and a raise in salary are not mutually exclusive, you can do one and the other. During a pandemic, everybody can use a little extra cash, Florida decided to give a bit more to the first responders. I see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-06-2021 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
This isn`t 2016 any more.
It wasn't even accurate in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies