Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 03:07 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereum2021 View Post
Do you feel the same way about $1,400 stimulus checks to voters?
Read my prior posts. Theres a difference between giving money to a ton of folks for stimulus, and giving people with the guns in a society a "bonus" thats targeted. And I point out that there are historical reasons for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
For the sake of argument, I will dismiss the fact that EMS and Firefighters are also considered First Responders.
Its one of the better pushbacks that misses my point entirely, so I appreciate that.

Quote:
With your concerns about politicians bribing police officers, you have a favorable opinion of giving raises to police officers (first responders in general) but not a bonus?
Correct. id even prefer a higher salary increase then the bonus.
Quote:
I can't say this with certainty, but I believe that there are more municipal police officers than there are state police officers in Florida. Municipalities typically pay first responder salaries and have long favored bonuses over raises (aside from COLAs) because they are easier to budget and cost less over time. But the state does not have the authority to give an annual raise to a municipal first responder.
Shrug, call it a "retention bonus" then and make it monthly for a year at 2K instead of one.

Quote:
I don't see a nefarious plot to manipulate the police officers, but perhaps my former experience as a first responder sheds light on the circumstances that others are not aware of.
Its the corrupting influence it has.

Folks who seem to think im anti-police etc miss the fact Id rather give them more money, then money this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM

17,614 posts, read 6,898,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
So in other words, you can't articulate any. You just simply post links that other people write and claim them as "authoritarianism."

Interesting.

Sounds more like you don't want to be laughed at because you don't have anything "authoritarian" than you can name that DeSantis has done.
The same poster gladly follows all COVID19 mandates and has no problem with authoritarian Democrats forcing compliance.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
ah yes. im protecting the people by taking their right to protest away because we label all of them as riots. Got it.

Seriously do none of you read any history? AT ALL?

So then why does it bother you that he's thinking of ways to keep the police departments running? And I'm sorry, but if you're gleefully prancing down the aisles of Target taking everything you can find, or taking a hammer to the self checkouts to grab whatever cash is in there, then I suggest you seek help. Because that's not the definition of a protester. And it's because those aren't protesters. Burning and torching businesses, cop cars, and police stations to the point where cities may not even recover for another year is not protesting.

In a world where we now deem police officers as evil and bad people, DeSantis is one of the few who acknowledges that defunding the police is a stupid idea. A few bad apples don't account for every police department in the US as a collective whole.

Please, spare me your nonsense. I read plenty of history and have a passion for it. The fact that you need to be sat down like a child to have this explained to you shows me the one who needs to pick up a book is you.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It is...LOL....

Not the point, you want protection but don't support those ****ty jobs that you'll be the first to run to and crying for, for protection.
Says the guy who has missed me REPEATEDLY saying give them more throughout this thread. LOL.

I object to the WAY its being done.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
So then why does it bother you that he's thinking of ways to keep the police departments running? And I'm sorry, but if you're gleefully prancing down the aisles of Target taking everything you can find, or taking a hammer to the self checkouts to grab whatever cash is in there, then I suggest you seek help. Those aren't protesters. Burning and torching businesses, cop cars, and police stations to the point where cities may not even recover for another year is not protesting.
See my earlier post. It the chosen method.
Quote:

In a world where we now deem police officers as evil and bad people, DeSantis is one of the few who acknowledges that defunding the police is a stupid idea. A few bad apples don't account for every police department in the US as a collective whole.
Please stop with the defunding nonsense. you really do seem to think its about cutting a police budget without offsetting spending that helps them accomplish their mission. Its been talked to death, and if you dont comprehend it now, you are choosing to ignore whats being said.

Quote:
Please, spare me your nonsense. I read plenty of history and have a passion for it. The fact that you need to be sat down like a child to have this explained to you shows me the one who needs to pick up a book is you.
Obviously not. Or you would look at the history of rome where they did this sort of nonsense. Maybe you should read some of it before jumping up and insulting people by claiming they are a child who needs to be sat down.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:13 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times
Quote:
Read my prior posts. Theres a difference between giving money to a ton of folks for stimulus, and giving people with the guns in a society a "bonus" thats targeted. And I point out that there are historical reasons for this.

Its one of the better pushbacks that misses my point entirely, so I appreciate that.

Correct. id even prefer a higher salary increase then the bonus.

Shrug, call it a "retention bonus" then and make it monthly for a year at 2K instead of one.

Its the corrupting influence it has.

Folks who seem to think im anti-police etc miss the fact Id rather give them more money, then money this way.
I don't necessarily believe that you are anti-police, but I do not understand your logic.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Last year they were essential workers. Funny how quickly that changes.

It changed when they all gave their bosses the double barrel middle finger shotgun when it was time to go back, because they'd rather collect unemployment.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
See my earlier post. It the chosen method.
Please stop with the defunding nonsense. you really do seem to think its about cutting a police budget without offsetting spending that helps them accomplish their mission. Its been talked to death, and if you dont comprehend it now, you are choosing to ignore whats being said.

Obviously not. Or you would look at the history of rome where they did this sort of nonsense. Maybe you should read some of it before jumping up and insulting people by claiming they are a child who needs to be sat down.

You're a fool. New York undercut their police system and they're suffering immensely from it. California is doing the same. It's why Governor Noem is getting so much love for telling cops if they want a job to come move to South Dakota. They are cutting funds for cops in many states. You choosing to be in your feelings over it doesn't mean it isn't true.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=1354953229e3

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ts-working-out

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-budget-395665

LMAO OK bud....sure. I don't need to look at the history of Rome to know we have an ongoing problem with riots in this country. At the rate we're going, Portland and Minneapolis will be wiped out completely. Antifa is a huge problem and BLM is getting worse and worse. And you are a child. Just calling a spade a spade. You're literally getting upset that DeSantis wants to provide money to cops and other first responders. So EMTs don't deserve it either? Only fast food workers do?

You lefties are crazy and just want to see this country burn.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:25 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Quick-who is more likely to die at work? The guy delivering pizzas, or the cop?

https://scapimag.com/2021/01/08/the-...n-being-a-cop/
The writer has no business calling himself a journalist. To even quote a TikTok video is silly but the video is flat out false and this clown didn't bother to research. The BLS includes truck drivers with delivery drivers and sales workers. Slapping up a picture of a pizza delivery guy.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
You're a fool. New York undercut their police system and they're suffering immensely from it. California is doing the same. It's why Governor Noem is getting so much love for telling cops if they want a job to come move to South Dakota. They are cutting funds for cops in many states. You choosing to be in your feelings over it doesn't mean it isn't true.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=1354953229e3

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ts-working-out

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-budget-395665

LMAO OK bud....sure. I don't need to look at the history of Rome to know we have an ongoing problem with riots in this country. At the rate we're going, Portland and Minneapolis will be wiped out completely. Antifa is a huge problem and BLM is getting worse and worse. And you are a child. Just calling a spade a spade. You're literally getting upset that DeSantis wants to provide money to cops and other first responders. So EMTs don't deserve it either? Only fast food workers do?

You lefties are crazy and just want to see this country burn.
Meanwhile cities like Eugene oregon did what most people think of as "defund" the police. YEARS ago. 10% cut that funded a outreach program that saved FAR FAR more then 10%. Thats not crazy that a fact.

Cities that just cut the budget? Morons. And not what the defund the police was hoping to accomplish.

And wow...Portland will be wiped out completely? We haven't even had a single building burned down. Stop listening to propaganda. yeah we've had protests....and riots. but no building burned down. Pretty sure were fine. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies