Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:25 AM

9,070 posts, read 4,762,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
No mention of race of shooter. You know what that means(sarcasm). MSM covering it up. BLM/Antifa on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It's a white girl. Happy now?
There are a lot of white girls in BLM and Antifa.
Not sure why "CatPeople" thought it had to do with race, other than the unspoken rule in the MSM to not reveal the race, unless the perp is white, and shooting blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Even a lot of young adults in the USA are messed up in the head these days, emotionally immature and don't understand what they're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
What would you attribute that too?
Democrats, and other Leftists who some mistakenly call "liberal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Nuclear deterrence works because both sides know that either side can wipe them out.

In the case of piddly little guns being protection against US government armed forces, not so much.

It's a fantasy some have.
How many wars have you been in, where the general population was heavily armed, as US Citizens are?
Answer is none.
You have no idea.
None.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:31 AM

20,224 posts, read 9,132,703 times
was there a social worker there to keep others safe?

Old 05-10-2021, 06:45 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,381,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What's the matter, you don't know how to look things up?
Sure let's trade anecdotes, plenty more where this came from but you seem to think this is some minor incident.

Quote:
Feb 18, 2021

Five children are motherless after a gun accident killed their mother and injured their youngest sibling.

The 25-year-old woman was at home with her children when she was fatally shot, police in Cornelius, North Carolina, said.
Police said the woman was 'inadvertently shot,' likely after her children found the gun inside her purse.
Her youngest child was also shot and is recovering with non-life-threatening injuries.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/us/mo...rnd/index.html

Old 05-10-2021, 06:57 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,982,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Exactly so! I'm talking about parenting, teaching, role models, a host of stuff that needs real thought put to it. You cannot, at this stage, eliminate the guns. What then are the choices left?

A whole plethora of societal issues from parenting, mental health to classroom respect need to be addressed. This sure isn't going to happen in one generation. Somehow a rethink on the function a firearm serves within a modern advanced society needs to happen and it's not going to happen if not talking about it and/or dismissing the problem with the wave of the hand because there isn't a one sentence answer.
What function do you think a firearm should serve in a "modern advanced society?"

Old 05-10-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And back in those days the focus of the NRA was safety, recreational issues.

I wonder if the NRA went old school it would help.

I know they still do some safety etc...but it isn't what it use to be from what I have read and heard.
The NRA still is about all of that. They are the largest firearms training organization in the entire country.

Not sure what you're even talking about.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Complete eradication of tragedies like this one is not the expected outcome, the goal is reduction.

Please see Nirvana, Perfect Solution, False Dichotomy, & False Dilemma fallacies described here, for additional examples, besides the ones in this thread:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

Besides, this was the OP:

Agree, it's a mental health problem, i.e. there is no reasonable explanation why we cannot minimize the damages here & elsewhere. American people rely on our 'exceptionalism' to justify the problem here & elsewhere.

Why not apply that exceptionalism to solving problems? That'd be more helpful.
So in other words, you have no specific laws. Just some vague, emotional silliness?

Old 05-10-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
3 anecdotes over 12 years, anything from last year.
Are you seriously not aware of the NRA's Armed Citizen tracker?

Wow. You should educate yourself.

There are literally events like this that happen every single day, every day, for the past couple centuries.

What about those two very recent shootings at churches that were thwarted by armed citizens, one of them with an AR? I guess your echo chamber news doesn't cover those things.

Here you go:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen

Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
What function do you think a firearm should serve in a "modern advanced society?"
First we would need to find a "modern advanced society" to discuss. And with the Left trying to take us back to October 1917, I doubt the subject is worthy of debate. Firearms are necessary, and the Left makes them more necessary, every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
The NRA still is about all of that. They are the largest firearms training organization in the entire country.

Not sure what you're even talking about.
No problem. They don't know what they are talking about, either.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,630,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Democrats, and other Leftists who some mistakenly call "liberal."

How many wars have you been in, where the general population was heavily armed, as US Citizens are?
Answer is none.
You have no idea.
None.
I think it's pretty obvious. There will be a lot of dead and injured. A standoff for a bit, then when the government forces have had enough, they will use the equipment that the general population just doesn't have.

I know that if I was hiding out in some building, shooting away, I'd be very concerned when tanks pull up, or jet fighters fly overhead...maybe just as a tactic to scare me, but it probably would work.

I'd even guess that they learned something from Waco. It was a messy affair, but any event where citizens are going up against government forces will be. Those inside got to a point when they realize how futile their attempts against the government forces were. We all know how that ended.

Pretty sure any future events like this, will end the same, or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies