Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 08:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,748 posts, read 18,091,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
Being a stay at home mom is the easiest "job" in the world. Putting Jr. to sleep for nap time and watching Maury is not difficult. I guess loading the washing machine twice a week is a little time consuming, sorting clothes and what not.
If mothering is easy, you're not doing it right.

It was the most joyous job I ever had, but if you're being a good mom, you're TIRED at the end of the day, emotionally and physically.

I don't know how you were exposed to a mother who laid around all day watching TV, but that's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 09:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,517,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Quote:
Four-in-ten moms surveyed said the week felt like a never-ending series of tasks to complete.
That’s a pathetically high number of people who do not understand very basic principals of nature. Everything requires maintenance and even with a stringent and stoic adherence to maintaining things, they still will always be subjected to entropic decay.

In fact one of the examples always used by physicists is that the toys all seem to get scattered all over the place seemingly rather easily but hardly ever end up back into the toy box. That is, children are entropic beings that have to be taught why things need to be ordered, preserved, taken care of. It’s far easy to take care of the infinite number of things that require maintenance in our lives if we keep a playbook and follow it obsessively.

Imagine forgetting to change your oil. Your motor freezes up. You get a huge repair bill and a completely disrupted life because the oil was not changed. 15 minutes of your time can turn into weeks or maybe even months of hardships. This is the point of “first learn to clean your room.”

The point of all that is 40% of mom’s “lived experiences” are based off of fundamentally misunderstanding the way the world works. A common theme these days.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:35 AM

36,690 posts, read 30,992,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If women feel the need to complain about the demands of child rearing or the fact that they don't pull a salary for raising those kids, they shouldn't have gotten knocked up.

Easy peasy.

Is it a surprise to anyone that raising kids is more than a full time job? And one that's unpaid at that?

If this shocks you, you're probably too stupid to be having kids anyway.
To be fair this was a study/survey, not women complaining.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"Unpaid" my ass. Did the household a SAHM mom occupies and all the resources she uses to maintain it fall out of the sky or something, or is there a man working to provide those things for her?
If you read the link it is a study/survey of WORKING moms.
I think they should also give the same survey to WORKING dads. It would be interesting to see the similarities and differences.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:41 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,085,979 times
I have grown kids --- and don't clock out some days until after 10...go figure -- lol.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So help me out here. Is this study concerned with Moms not be paid to be moms?

What about dads? I dont recall ever getting a check for doing yard work, coaching soccer, teaching Karate, maintenance of the the home, the vehicles or pool. (The pool that I never wanted in the first place). I wasn't paid for building our home. I wasn't paid for doing the landscaping, changing the septic pump twice. Both times on freezing ass days in snow that was over knee deep. I never got paid for being a dad. I didnt need to because to me it wasn't a job, it was part of life. The thought that I should be compensated for it never occurred to me. It was all by choice.

You know what? I am wrong, I was compensated. I watched my baby girls grow up to become very beautiful women. Smart, strong and very capable. That is one helluva reward if you ask me. I watched a very troubled 7 and 1/2 yearly boy grow to become a good man, a better man than I ever was. Damn life was good.

I have stage 4 cancer and I dwell upon these things a lot these days. Why do people think anyone owes them compensation for doing their jobs as a parent? Your children growing up to be good people is your compensation.
No. Did you read it. There was a link.
It merely states the number of hours working moms spend "on the clock".
Actually a pretty short, vague, worthless article without any link to the actual study/survey.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:47 AM

3,656 posts, read 3,796,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Blah blah blah.

Don't have kids then.
This ^^^

Old 05-10-2021, 09:50 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,979,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Uhhhh don't you mean "Birthing people?"

What's with this offensive term "Mom?"

You're fueling the patriarchy and gender stereotypes!

Old 05-10-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You have control of your body, you chose to have a kid, you chose in almost all cases whom the dad is and to cry that you are not paid for "your work" well then don't sign up for the job.

If you have not raised your kids capable to do their own laundry, cook and clean by the end of junior high then that is your choice and I respect that. However, unless they are special needs, they could have learned those skills.

I cannot begin to tell you how hard my kids and I have laughed over the years when they got to college and people were *shocked* that at age 18 they drove themselves 200 miles there for orientation, maybe staying in a hotel the night before. OMG...get the fainting couch out lol.

Pick up a history book, go read about Annie Oakley etc. Stop limiting your kids because of your own fears and upbringing. My great uncle was killing Nazis at 18, my can do their own laundry and drive 200miles lol, but you make your choices and live with them and I'll make mine.
Honestly, does one really know when they marry or even when they have kids the details of how their spouse will behave when it comes to parenting issues or work details or home upkeep/domestic duties? I think some people just get lucky.
Ive been married twice and in a few relationships and can attest that people either change over time or you are initially blinded to their true selves.

I totally agree about raising your kids to be independent and to cook, clean and do laundry (and spouses as well ). There is no reason one should have to do all that for everyone in the home. Of course kids are pretty much totally dependent until they are a certain age.
This article in particular though is not about getting paid to parent, it merely barely discusses the amount of hours mothers are "on the clock" and historically mothers have done most of the parenting, working or not.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM

15,882 posts, read 21,490,820 times
This article wasn't women complaining, it was a survey of working mom's domestic duties.

On average, even if both parents work, women take on the lion's share of childcare, cooking, and cleaning. This isn't 100% or true of every family, but the trend as an aggregate. Look at how often men taking care of their children is called "babysitting" versus "parenting."

This is particularly worth noting in a society where having one parent stay at home is a luxury that only high income families can afford. When there are *also* tons of articles out about our declining birth rates and how that will impact the future of the country, it's worth further investigating how these sorts of scenarios impact family growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies