Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2021, 02:31 PM

4,447 posts, read 1,736,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Escaping poverty is not claim for asylum.

Risking their lives? A lot of the migrants at the southern border take the flight to Mexico and walk on foot or take the bus to the southern border. That’s why there are a lot of migrants from as far as India, Armenia, Cuba, and Romania right now. They look healthy, well dress, and clean.

Ask me how i know all that
Ask me why I wrote all that... because those were the words that were used by the poster I was replying to.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do we have unemployment and homelessness?
Then yes we are full.
and thousands of jobs that are currently going unfilled...

No, we're really not full.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That's because they are paid to post that nonsense. Think about it. The same people coming on posting ridiculous stuff. They work in shifts. You will see the same ones for a few weeks and then a different crop pops up. Their arguments are nonsensical. It's the only thing that makes any sense, that they are paid to post.
How do I get on THIS gravy train? lol

From this point forth, I will only post as a conservative until someone starts paying ME to post my true, moderate-lib feelings. LOL

Old 05-20-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Leftists: We will pay you NOT to work. Then when you complain about a labor shortage, we will claim no American wants to do those jobs then we import millions from Central America who work under the table and don't pay taxes.
Nice... except that the extended benefits that everyone is complaining about were started under Trump.... and are actually less today than they were under Trump.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We’re not talking about immigrants. We are talking about illegal immigrants, unable to support themselves. You’re actually comparing them to lawful and productive Jewish citizens of Germany?
Are asylum seekers who are waiting for their court dates illegal immigrants? I'm just asking... for a friend.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
https://www.democracynow.org/2021/2/...xico_matamoros

this is a sympathetic report on Matamoros - easily the largest of the camps. One brief discussion of men entering tents .... but they are their "own people", yes? What would they do in the US?

No mention of kidnapping. No mention of gangs. Maybe you have other links to support your claim.

My comment on safety relates to "from the conditions which cause them to flee their home country".
Took a whole ten seconds... if that.

Quote:
Matamoros is a dangerous place: The US State Department has issued a Level 4 “Do Not Travel” advisory for the region due to high rates of violent crime, kidnapping, and robbery.

The encampment has grown to house several thousand people. Some tents have been erected on land that has been contaminated with feces because there were no public toilets, raising concerns about E. coli infections. Migrants have no access to running water, leading to poor hygiene and the contraction of rashes and funguses. As flu season ramps up, there are concerns it will spread throughout the camps.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tamoros-juarez

Quote:
“We have been here through hurricanes, mice, strong winds, COVID-19, kidnapping, rape,” said Dison, an asylum seeker from Honduras on Saturday. “We’re still here.” He added that he feels left behind, and worries the remaining group will be forgotten after hundreds were admitted into the U.S. over the last week.
https://prospect.org/justice/final-d...ration-mexico/

If you REALLy wanted to look for reports on the dangers, you could easily find them... especially if you managed to find one that was "sympathetic."

Old 05-20-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I get the impression that more of those parents are already here. And at least some large (may be a majority, may be 80%, who knows) are here illegally.

You might notice they say "try to locate family members that are already in the US."
1. I think you are probably correct. It isn't unheard of for the parents to arrive first, then send for their kids after they have established a place to live, work, etc.

2. "locate family members" doesn't necessarily mean parents. It is often cousins, uncles, aunts, etc., who are already here. Those are also the same people that the cartels target for ransom payments when they kidnapped the people in the border camps.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:58 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,280,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Took a whole ten seconds... if that.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tamoros-juarez

https://prospect.org/justice/final-d...ration-mexico/

If you REALLy wanted to look for reports on the dangers, you could easily find them... especially if you managed to find one that was "sympathetic."
I just googled, and looked at the first result. Given it was from 2021, and a sympathetic source, that was enough for me. Your 2nd article is also current, and quotes the same young person mine did.

And my remarks about "safe" are still true.

The women getting sexually assaulted - what's keeping those same men from committing the same crimes if they were in the US?

Old 05-20-2021, 02:59 PM

17,504 posts, read 9,325,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No. The criticism was encouraging them to swarm in in the first place. Now that he’s flying them throughout the country, they’ll keep coming.
He is holding them longer than the Courts allow, he is holding them in greater numbers than the Courts allow - he moves them constantly, because somebody finds them and exposes them. He's got kids and people stashed all over the USA. They busted a house in Dallas with 90 something stuffed in it.

Not just children and teenagers flooding the borders - it's adults also and the Border Patrol and ICE is not allowed to stop them.

As of last week, the number of children in HHS custody was more than 20,000.

DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said encounters at the border have declined to about 1,830 people per day but noted that a "fairly high" number of migrant children were still coming across.

"declined to nearly 2,000 PER DAY, Every single day" and it's been at that level for MONTHS.

Old 05-20-2021, 03:00 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,280,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
1. I think you are probably correct. It isn't unheard of for the parents to arrive first, then send for their kids after they have established a place to live, work, etc.

2. "locate family members" doesn't necessarily mean parents. It is often cousins, uncles, aunts, etc., who are already here. Those are also the same people that the cartels target for ransom payments when they kidnapped the people in the border camps.
I'd be thrilled but completely shocked if the DHS gave us some data on just who was getting these children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies