Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 12:07 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,136,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Some of the colleges/universities are public.

Private businesses had to conform to government mandates over the last 14 months. Anyone who was in favor of that is not pro private business rights.
They are still privately run institutions.

"Private businesses had to conform to government mandates over the last 14 months" You are changing the topic. Government wasn't forcing businesses to make people get the vaccine.

Private businesses were mandated during the past year because people did not have the choice to get vaccinated. That I agree with. Its the same as smoking. I think the banning of smoking indoors was a good thing because not all of those exposed to 2nd hand smoke had a choice in the manner. Its a matter of the ability for people to make personal choices.

People did not have a choice over the past year on whether or not they protect themselves from covid... so mandates protect those people... until now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 12:12 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,123,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
People did not have a choice over the past year on whether or not they protect themselves from covid... so mandates protect those people... until now...
People have a choice to go to restaurants and bars.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:14 PM

9,942 posts, read 4,697,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I'm starting to view COVID in a different light these days. IF the CDC were really concerned about the safety of Americans, wouldn't they want to shine a spotlight on diseases that are caused by smoking, drinking and sugar consumption? Deaths from these three categories FAR EXCEED deaths related to COVID....by a country mile.

Why aren't cigarettes, booze and sugary foods banned or regulated if they are killing Americans?
Hate to say it if they wanted it they should been prioritized for the vax. Part of the problem instead of distributing some to local doctors with the policy prefences doctors couldn't triage their patients in the beginning. They should've polled doctors with vague surveys like how patients with diabetes, overweight etc. Then distribute them a limited supply of the vax or told them where their patients could go. Same for what ever treatments available.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I hate this talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You're suddenly pro business when it comes firing employees for not vaccinating, but didn't give a rats a$$ when government stepped in and closed them during COVID, and then required them to mandate masks and social distancing.
No...I am not talking both sides of my mouth.

One is a right of private business. However, the right of businesses stops short when it impacts the rights of individuals. Individuals who got sick and died (prior to COVID vaccines) had no personal choice in the manner.

I have a right to smoke. That is my personal choice. However, I do not have the right to expose others to my 2nd hand smoke. So I do agree the ban of smoking indoors.... to protect the right to choice for those in the establishment. My right does not supersede the right of another.

By your argument, all laws preventing an individual from doing anything they want even if it impacts another person is a violation... that is illogical. Similarly, claiming pro private business rights does not mean no laws governing how they run business.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:16 PM

17,483 posts, read 14,730,423 times
Quote:

"Private businesses had to conform to government mandates over the last 14 months" You are changing the topic. Government wasn't forcing businesses to make people get the vaccine.

Private businesses were mandated during the past year because people did not have the choice to get vaccinated. That I agree with. Its the same as smoking. I think the banning of smoking indoors was a good thing because not all of those exposed to 2nd hand smoke had a choice in the manner. Its a matter of the ability for people to make personal choices.

Well that's some revisionist history right there.

I'm old enough to remember "15 days to slow the spread".

Old 05-26-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Well that's some revisionist history right there.

I'm old enough to remember "15 days to slow the spread".
14 months ago.... vaccinations for COVID was not available to everyone. So not everyone had a choice on whether or not to protect themselves with vaccinations. Today, we have availability... I say reopen and lift all mandates.. Everyone makes a choice; risk getting infected or get vaccinated.

"15 days to slow the spread" did not provide choices for individuals to make (no vaccine available) and was intended to slow the hospitalizations that were impacting the hospitals. So I'm not sure why that means "revisionist" nor has anything to do with my comment/post.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:21 PM

17,483 posts, read 14,730,423 times
Quote:
14 months ago.... vaccinations for COVID was not available to everyone. So not everyone had a choice on whether or not to protect themselves with vaccinations. Today, we have availability... I say reopen and lift all mandates.. Everyone makes a choice; risk getting infected or get vaccinated.
Well good ... then I guess we agree that there should be no mandates to require a vaccination to participate - whether it be schools, businesses, employment, concerts and travel.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,785,220 times
Quote:

Thank you for clarifying that you are not pro private business rights.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Well good ... then I guess we agree that there should be no mandates to require a vaccination to participate - whether it be schools, businesses, employment, concerts and travel.
I meant lift all mandates by government.... remember the context was around government mandating on private businesses.

For all private business matters, it really is up to them to decide how to run their business. I surmise they will not get customers if they require vaccinations and proof.... they will go under fairly quickly. So I doubt any of them will require vaccinations to patrons. As for their own employees... again.. its up to them... but I would think it would limit access to the pool of talent good workers in the market.

But yeh... I think everyone has a choice to make (risk it or get vaccinated). I'm all for lifting as much of the government intervention regarding COVID at this time.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Thank you for clarifying that you are not pro private business rights.
Only because you don't agree.... but it doesn't make it so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies