Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 09:41 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
If businesses can not get enough staff, should immigration not increase? The reality is long term Americans are not having enough children.
They can't get enough staff now because due to COVID, far too many were given such large checks that they don't have any incentive to go back to work.

We have plenty of Americans to do those jobs. Take away the obscenely high checks currently being given out, and they will go back to work. Every time ICE did a raid, Americans would line up that very same day to apply for those jobs. If there are any businesses that are relying on cheap, exploitable, illegal labor or cater to illegal aliens, then those are diseased businesses that need to die.

Why should Americans have children they can't afford to properly raise? Sensible people are only going to have kids that they can properly feed, clothe and shelter.

What about Canada? Is your country going to increase the number of immigrants they let into Canada? It seems to me that after Trump got elected, lots of people who overstayed visas or found that their TPS was ending showed up at the Canadian border. They did that because your PM said they welcomed all who wanted to live in Canada. Then when your country got overwhelmed, he backtracked on that.

How many people are too many? 1 billion? 2 billion? We don't have unlimited potable water. Nor do we have unlimited buildable land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 10:27 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
They can't get enough staff now because due to COVID, far too many were given such large checks that they don't have any incentive to go back to work.

We have plenty of Americans to do those jobs. Take away the obscenely high checks currently being given out, and they will go back to work. Every time ICE did a raid, Americans would line up that very same day to apply for those jobs. If there are any businesses that are relying on cheap, exploitable, illegal labor or cater to illegal aliens, then those are diseased businesses that need to die.

Why should Americans have children they can't afford to properly raise? Sensible people are only going to have kids that they can properly feed, clothe and shelter.

What about Canada? Is your country going to increase the number of immigrants they let into Canada? It seems to me that after Trump got elected, lots of people who overstayed visas or found that their TPS was ending showed up at the Canadian border. They did that because your PM said they welcomed all who wanted to live in Canada. Then when your country got overwhelmed, he backtracked on that.

How many people are too many? 1 billion? 2 billion? We don't have unlimited potable water. Nor do we have unlimited buildable land.
Yup, Canada did increase the number of immigrants. To boost economic recovery. We don't see immigrants as a threat, but as an asset. The USA should try that attitude.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/canada-...ry-11617105739

Old 06-10-2021, 10:34 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Yup, Canada did increase the number of immigrants. To boost economic recovery. We don't see immigrants as a threat, but as an asset. The USA should try that attitude.

Such hyperbole. Legal immigrants aren't a "threat". However, illegal aliens are a "threat" Also, the US has had unrelenting immigration for 56 years with no breathers. In the long run, allowing 1 million legal immigrants and untold numbers of illegal aliens in each year is not sustainable.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:43 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times
"Can we agree that a massive influx of immigrants, legal or otherwise, will destabilize the social fabric of America? " ??? This place was built on just that. Didn't turn out so well for the previous occupants.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:35 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Of course the Dems winning the election stopped the wall. Trump had 4 years to get it done. There needs to be federal law that puts employers in prison as well as illegals. Half the wall does nothing. E-verify is good but the dems do not like it. You need sanctions against businesses who hire illegals but the GOP is against that.

Part of politics is compromise. Biden is bad at it. So was Obama and so was Trump. You cannot just say the other side is horrible then get their cooperation. Reagan and to a lesser extent Clinton got this. Since then both parties have not.
Maybe you should talk to a contractor about how long it takes to build a 1,000 mile long wall especially when one has to fight for the funds to get it done. Stop passing the buck and at least give Trump credit for what did get done. It wasn't Trump who stopped the wall building it was Biden! The Democrats and Biden don't even want a wall so where the hell do you think you are going with this?

Where are you getting that the GOP is against sanctions against businesses who hire illegal aliens? Got a link to your claims? First off, without e-verify it is hard to prove that an employer "knowingly" hired illegal aliens when the illegals use authentic looking fake or stolen SS numbers and ID's. Again, it's the Democrats that won't pass an e-verify bill! Did you miss the part where I told you that under Trump several employers were caught or did you just ignore it?

Compromise? Since when should either party compromise on the enforcement of our laws on the books and our national security? I see, so if Trump had sent the Democrats some flowers and candy and stroked their ego instead of calling them out for not following our laws that would have made a difference? The only thing that should have been considered was our laws and our national security. Feelings and emotions should have been left out of it. Congress is supposed to uphold our laws and see that Americans are protected, period! They represent us not foreign lawbreakers!

Old 06-11-2021, 06:53 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Heck, we can't even get the science deniers on this forum to admit that a massive influx of cheap labor (supply) lowers labor wages so good luck with something more loosely defined as culture.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:10 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Not how it happened in Hawaii. Haoles settled here illegally with no intentions of assimilating or learning the language. Quite the opposite. Shouldn't have been hard to do living with Hawaiian culture and language day to day and on a permanent and extended basis, right? I'm sure you agree.
A little side story here...while working in South Florida at the international airport and having a hotel room in Hialeah (great race track) after work one day I stopped at a local liquor store and asked the clerk for a certain item...she (I assume was Cuban) couldn't speak English and had to call someone from the back room to come out and fill my request. I thought that a little odd.
I also read some where that an ad appeared in a local newspaper in Portland Or for a job in a convenient store it was requirement that you had to speak Spanish.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:19 AM

6,239 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
“ haole ”—a derogatory Hawaiian term for white people. Who are these white people who settled in Hawaii "illegally"? I have no idea what you are talking about. Every migrant should learn and speak the language of the area/country they migrated to. I'm not making any exceptions for white people either. I just know what I would do if I migrated somewhere else where their native language wasn't mine. Out of respect I would learn and speak their language.
While working though out the US I had the most trouble being exposed and understanding in the south.
It took me about two days to adjust. One day I stopped at a gas station to fill it up and the gas station attendant ask me if I wanted him to check my all. I looked him before I realized he wanted to check my oil. I love it when someone told me 'y'all have a good day you hear'.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Such hyperbole. Legal immigrants aren't a "threat". However, illegal aliens are a "threat" Also, the US has had unrelenting immigration for 56 years with no breathers. In the long run, allowing 1 million legal immigrants and untold numbers of illegal aliens in each year is not sustainable.
During the Trump era, many illegals crossed on over into Canada --- they didn't call them illegal.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:52 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
A little side story here...while working in South Florida at the international airport and having a hotel room in Hialeah (great race track) after work one day I stopped at a local liquor store and asked the clerk for a certain item...she (I assume was Cuban) couldn't speak English and had to call someone from the back room to come out and fill my request. I thought that a little odd.
I also read some where that an ad appeared in a local newspaper in Portland Or for a job in a convenient store it was requirement that you had to speak Spanish.
If you want a good job speak English. If you want a better one, speak another language along with English. If you speak 5 foreign languages, you could go to work for the State Department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies