Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 09:37 AM

4,524 posts, read 1,877,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Family I live with my grands - one had to go to hosp with a stomach issue and her mom came to sit with her. Gave to her with out knowing yet, and she gave to me. Today everyone in the house getting tested. Her mom told us tested positive the following day. Oops too late - but she didn’t think needed a mask etc. It’s all political bs. Hm hm - she is ok now, but thought she’d die last week. The grand seems ok. I’m the elder. Crossing fingers.
I know we disagree about things on here, but I do hope you are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:53 AM

30,258 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
What if the do not get vaccinated, get infected, and kill someone who cannot get vaccinated (like cancer patients) or do not generate a strong immune response?

True. People that cannot get vaccinated need to be very careful. Stay home and be very selective as to who you come in contact with. But these people against vaccinations do not seem concerned as to what they might do to other people. Its all about them.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:59 AM

30,258 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Prayer never hurts.
I may have a story to tell, next month.
Still waiting for some info.

There is a relatively high probability that each and every one of us will get exposed, sooner or later. What will matter is how our immune system responds, and where the virus finds places to hide in us.
Of course if you are fully vaccinated you don't need to gamble as to how the virus will effect you. I did all the right things, was not high risk any way. Exercised daily did vitamin D had lost 20 pounds, etc. Never get the flu and never got a flu vaccine. And I got it. And got really ill.

But again lots of people are not convinced. And that is ok. I am a Libertarian and do not want to government mandating anything. Did not like the mask mandates and do not want any sort of vaccine mandate. I am also against government mandated seat belt use. But I wear a seat belt. And would even if it was not required. My choice.

But like I said there seems to be trouble out there. The UK is back to 15,000 new cases a day. Deaths are still low. Israel is back up again also. They were down to like 5 cases a day but yesterday had over 200. And these countries are doing better than us with the vaccine.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-26-2021 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-26-2021, 10:02 AM

1,081 posts, read 550,838 times
You post headlines and fail to understand what they are attached to.
Let's start with Axios. That does not link to a study. It links to a press release on Pfizer's press page. That is the vaccine manufacturer's press release to their investors. How much weight do you put on the truth of that statement? Do you think it could be biased?

The CDC links do not link to a study. It's a press release.
Let's break this down further:
The CDC worded the press release poorly.
If I said your seatbelt reduces the damage done in a crash, would you say that your seatbelt prevented crashes?

Lets get back down to the brass tacks. You and I have posted on this Israel data before. They compiled data on health care workers who tested positive for the virus. Some were asymptomatic. They estimated the reduction of viral load between vaccinated health care workers and unvaccinated health care workers according to the disease and vital statistics. They did not factor in length of infection. That study is dead on it's feet at that point. Viral load builds over time, if you don't account for length of infection, you can't compare viral loads.

The thing to note on the Israel data is that it was done on infected individuals. The vaccine definitely did not prevent them from being infected and testing positive (asymptomatic or otherwise.)

Old 06-26-2021, 11:19 AM

9,034 posts, read 4,729,459 times
Quote:
... she didn’t think needed a mask etc. It’s all political bs. Hm hm - she is ok now, but ....
With the old variants, the masks made a bit of difference, but not as much as people thought they did. With the new variants, because they have "self engineered" to the difficulty of finding a new host, the masks will make even less difference.

The bigger issues were "social distance." Staying 6 feet apart worked pretty well with the older variants. It will help with this one.

With the Delta variant, if she was in the same room with you for more than 10 minutes, or coughed once, the mask would make little difference.

The biggest mistake we made was not getting people out into the sunshine and fresh air last summer, and letting all of the younger people be exposed during that summer. I b----ed about it then, and still hold that, had we let the virus run in the summer, almost all of this would have been behind us.

Right now, the countries where the virus had the most difficulty spreading last summer: those are the countries that are being hit the hardest now. Taiwan is a model case. Every country I look at (people ask me from time to time "what about ____ country) it holds true. More in some countries than others, but it seems to be a factor in all of them.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:15 PM

37,181 posts, read 41,383,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
You post headlines and fail to understand what they are attached to.

1.Let's start with Axios. That does not link to a study. It links to a press release on Pfizer's press page. That is the vaccine manufacturer's press release to their investors. How much weight do you put on the truth of that statement? Do you think it could be biased?

2.The CDC links do not link to a study. It's a press release.
Let's break this down further:
The CDC worded the press release poorly.
If I said your seatbelt reduces the damage done in a crash, would you say that your seatbelt prevented crashes?

3. Lets get back down to the brass tacks. You and I have posted on this Israel data before. They compiled data on health care workers who tested positive for the virus. Some were asymptomatic. They estimated the reduction of viral load between vaccinated health care workers and unvaccinated health care workers according to the disease and vital statistics. They did not factor in length of infection. That study is dead on it's feet at that point. Viral load builds over time, if you don't account for length of infection, you can't compare viral loads.

The thing to note on the Israel data is that it was done on infected individuals. The vaccine definitely did not prevent them from being infected and testing positive (asymptomatic or otherwise.)
1. Pfizer issued the press release. It did not do the study. Here is the peer reviewed study in the New England Journal of Medicine. The affiliations of the authors are at the end of the article. Clalit Health Services is a large Israeli HMO.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2101765

2. Here is the full CDC study. The results are based on weekly testing of a group of health care workers, regardless of whether they had symptoms or not.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm

"Prospective cohorts of health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers over 13 weeks in eight U.S. locations confirmed that authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech’s BNT162b2 and Moderna’s mRNA-1273) are highly effective in real-world conditions. Vaccine effectiveness of full immunization with two doses of mRNA vaccines was 90% (95% CI = 68%–97%) against RT-PCR–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection. These findings are consistent with those from the mRNA vaccines’ Phase III trials (1,2) and recent observational studies of the mRNA vaccine effectiveness against severe COVID-19 (3). The findings complement and expand upon these preceding reports by demonstrating that the vaccines can also reduce the risk for infection regardless of COVID-19–associated illness symptom status (4,5). Reducing the risk for transmissible infection, which can occur among persons with asymptomatic infection or among persons several days before symptoms onset (6), is especially important among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers given their potential to transmit the virus through frequent close contact with patients and the public."

3. The Israeli data come from one of their HMO databases. There were almost 600,000 persons in each of the groups, vaccinated and unvaccinated. The starting population was not only "health care workers who tested positive for the virus."

Viral load is always measured at a point in time.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
1. Pfizer issued the press release. It did not do the study. Here is the peer reviewed study in the New England Journal of Medicine. The affiliations of the authors are at the end of the article. Clalit Health Services is a large Israeli HMO.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2101765

2. Here is the full CDC study. The results are based on weekly testing of a group of health care workers, regardless of whether they had symptoms or not.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm

"Prospective cohorts of health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers over 13 weeks in eight U.S. locations confirmed that authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech’s BNT162b2 and Moderna’s mRNA-1273) are highly effective in real-world conditions. Vaccine effectiveness of full immunization with two doses of mRNA vaccines was 90% (95% CI = 68%–97%) against RT-PCR–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection. These findings are consistent with those from the mRNA vaccines’ Phase III trials (1,2) and recent observational studies of the mRNA vaccine effectiveness against severe COVID-19 (3). The findings complement and expand upon these preceding reports by demonstrating that the vaccines can also reduce the risk for infection regardless of COVID-19–associated illness symptom status (4,5). Reducing the risk for transmissible infection, which can occur among persons with asymptomatic infection or among persons several days before symptoms onset (6), is especially important among health care personnel, first responders, and other essential and frontline workers given their potential to transmit the virus through frequent close contact with patients and the public."

3. The Israeli data come from one of their HMO databases. There were almost 600,000 persons in each of the groups, vaccinated and unvaccinated. The starting population was not only "health care workers who tested positive for the virus."

Viral load is always measured at a point in time.
"Vaccine effectiveness of full immunization with two doses of mRNA vaccines was 90% (95% CI = 68%–97%) against RT-PCR–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection."
Against PCR confirmed infection. It did not prevent infection (the test subjects were already infected.)
It is effective against severe disease. A more accurate description would be "Once infected, antibodies generated due to vaccination mitigated further disease progression."

Old 06-26-2021, 06:05 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,930,408 times
Quote:
After being so careful - tested positive last night. Now waiting game to see if plays nice or goes into a full fledged monster within me .
Prayers that it plays nice.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:46 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Doctors in India fear that the dangerous new COVID-19 variant in the country is linked to a host of troubling new symptoms — including gangrene from blood clots, hearing impairment and severe gastric upsets.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/09/doctor...covid-variant/

So will we need a mask to protect us?
Fear mongering.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fear mongering.
Fear sells, but these were all possible side effects from the original virus but were very rare.

Severe COVID19 caused loss of fingers and toes when circulation to the fingers and toes was blocked by clots. (https://ktla.com/news/local-news/cov...happen-to-you/)

SARS-COV2 can attack the brain and nervous system. Hearing was also affected.

Nausea and diarrhea was an uncommon side effect, but still a symptom.

Another rare side effect was COVID toes. If left untreated, could result in gangrene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies