Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Viewpoint Diversity Important in College?
Yes 32 91.43%
No 2 5.71%
Unsure 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:39 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times

Advertisements

Is viewpoint diversity allowed at bible colleges or schools like BYU with archaic "honor codes" or does it only matter if it's a liberal arts college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 10:46 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,174,016 times
DeSantis is a doer. He guards our freedoms and he acts on it to protect Americans rights of free speech.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
So according to this Florida law:

Quote:
The State Board of Education shall select or create an objective, nonpartisan, and statistically valid survey to be used by each institution which considers the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented and members of the college community, including students, faculty, and staff, feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom. The Board of Governors shall annually compile and publish the assessments by September 1 of each year, beginning on September 1, 2022.
I'm not sure what this survey accomplishes except collect information that will list various groups who feel their freedom of speech has been infringed on Florida college campuses. Some college professors will probably report that they have been reprimanded for talking about certain subjects in class where students have complained. Various student minorities will certainly complain about their rights to publicize or promote their groups ideas. As a college undergraduate majoring in accounting and finance, I don't ever remember an issue with expressing my beliefs and viewpoints in a class. I think this is true for the majority of majors such as math, the sciences, engineering, nursing, etc.

I went back to school part-time and got a political science degree and teaching certificate. Times had changed since the 1970s and I had to deal with some different diversity issues in regard to preparing to teach. We had a few discussions in class about this and it prepared me for what I would deal with in schools. Again, there was no issue in expressing my my beliefs and viewpoints. Since I was older than the other students, I was able to express the viewpoint of an older person.

The point is that this is only a survey and speech is protected in this country by the First Amendment. If this survey finds cases where people's First Amendment rights are being violated, then it is a good idea. I doubt there will be many of these cases. If so, the ACLU will likely be willing to take on the case. I think the end result will be negligible. Various minority groups will complain. The state attorney general might investigate and likely find no rights have been violated.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:59 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I did visit one once, and despite them being adults, they were treated like kids. Separated by sex, tight curfews etc. Quite frankly, I didn't know how it was supposed to prepare people for the real world.
What college was this? It obviously wasn't a state college or university which is the topic of this conversation.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:17 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What college was this? It obviously wasn't a state college or university which is the topic of this conversation.
Florida Southern College - don't know about enough about the US college system to know much about it, but would have thought it fell under the umbrella of "Florida colleges".

Sorry if it doesn't apply.

Old 06-24-2021, 01:23 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Comply or die! amirite?

But that's not actually the problem, the problem is being punished for your 'viewpoint'. In a majority of colleges in the United States TODAY, if you for example insist and make it known consistently that your 'view' is that there are only men and women and no other genders, you WILL be reprimanded and ultimately thrown out of school
Students should learn discipline rather than to foolishly rebel for some imagined 'self-expression'.

University requires a student body than knows how to keep their opinions to themselves.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:15 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Just curious - How long has it been since you graduated from college?
Quite sometime. But I teach at a university. I've watched things go to hell over the past twenty years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
University requires a student body than knows how to keep their opinions to themselves.
Not true. A professor that requires or encourages lemming-like behavior in the classroom is not a professor but an indoctrinator.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:42 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
But that's not actually the problem, the problem is being punished for your 'viewpoint'. In a majority of colleges in the United States TODAY, if you for example insist and make it known consistently that your 'view' is that there are only men and women and no other genders, you WILL be reprimanded and ultimately thrown out of school
Got any credible stats to back that up?

Quote:
The only thing he has to do, and it's really simple, is to codify the rights of students and faculty to express views without reprisal.
Doesn't the First Amendment already do that, considering that state-operated universities are an extension of the "government", which cannot restrict speech?

Quote:
It's not about forcing or requiring one view or the other,
The hell it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
The opinions and biases of the faculty are inescapable, but we have to trust in our young people that they can form their own biases/opinions/views of the world. I certainly don't share my old lecturer's opinions on the history of the luddite rebellion (for instance), and I would suspect most students don't just blindly follow the points of view of their teacher/professor.
I would hope not as well. I never had a problem debating with my professors, even religion professors at a Catholic university (Bro. Leo, if you're listening from the great beyond, Vatican II is a real thing!). Students who say they are "afraid" of disagreeing with their instructors sound cowardly to me. If enough of them do voice their disagreement, wouldn't that make them at least a plurality? Strength in numbers and all that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingWolf View Post
America is about freedom of ideas, expressions, and thoughts.
Which anyone can get at almost any college in the country - maybe not at places like Liberty University, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If you are raising individuals who you fear are subject to the feelings of a Professor and aren't able to weed out and source information on their own -- that person probably shouldn't be at a university.
Good point. A college education will teach you how to think, not what to think. There is a huge difference, although a lot of folks on this thread can't figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
The accusations that get thrown around can seriously damage a person: racist, transphobic, misogynist, white supremacist.
Here's an easy remedy: Don't be a racist, transphobic, misogynist, or white supremacist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It has been awhile since I was in college, but I always wrote my term papers with a far left slant which certainly helped my grades. I realized this my first semester at college I was in a political science class and the professor was being so vile and mean to someone with a conservative viewpoint. I quickly learned that if I wanted to be viewed positively I would have to write accordingly.
How easily your values are compromised. That's on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Is viewpoint diversity allowed at bible colleges or schools like BYU with archaic "honor codes" or does it only matter if it's a liberal arts college?
No double standard there, right?! I think some folks believe that "liberal arts" equals "politically liberal". Another case of "I don't think that word means what you think it means".

Old 06-24-2021, 04:09 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Here's an easy remedy: Don't be a racist, transphobic, misogynist, or white supremacist.

So any person who calls someone one of these epithets is automatically correct, in your eyes? Interesting. That is exactly the problem.

At a town meeting last year, anyone who didn't want to take funds away from the police force was labeled a racist and white supremacist. This is the type of intimidation I'm talking about. A person becomes silent for fear of being called a horrible name and targeted by activists. No amount of disavowing police misconduct or racism helped. It was a forced binary: defund the police, or you are a racist and white supremacist.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:13 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
So any person who calls someone one of these epithets is automatically correct, in your eyes?
I didn't say that. Put words into someone else's mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies