Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 07:48 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ultimately, the constitution is nothing more than a piece of paper. The fundamental problem is our collective delusion that sees the constitution as infallible truth.
The fundamental problem is when people begin to think they can just violate other people's rights to life, liberty and property. When they use the threat of violence (government force) against peaceful people to take their stuff and give it to others who didn't earn it, they create problems.

If everyone just lived by, "Don't hurt other people and don't take their stuff", we'd all get along just fine.

The Constitution reminds us (and the government) that the government's only job is to protect our rights.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:32 AM

59,109 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's not too different than Republicans believing the social structure of the Christian church is the ONLY correct way to experience life and any other way of living should not be tolerated.
NOT being a republican NOR a Christian, how would YOU know?

Just another lib who THINKS they know what everybody else in the world thinks!

Old 07-02-2021, 11:13 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
The fundamental problem is when people begin to think they can just violate other people's rights to life, liberty and property. When they use the threat of violence (government force) against peaceful people to take their stuff and give it to others who didn't earn it, they create problems.

If everyone just lived by, "Don't hurt other people and don't take their stuff", we'd all get along just fine.

The Constitution reminds us (and the government) that the government's only job is to protect our rights.
The Constitution was partially written by slave owners. What is slavery? Slavery is using the threat of violence and government force against powerless people to take the fruits of their labor, and give it to the slave owner who didn’t earn it.

If you think the Constitution was written by people with a “live and let live” ethic, you don’t know your history. Before the 13th Amendment, the Constitution actually had a fugitive slave clause.

We’d all get along just fine if we included a third moral imperative: “don’t expropriate a person’s labor value via grossly unequal bargaining power.”

Old 07-02-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Constitution was partially written by slave owners. What is slavery? Slavery is using the threat of violence and government force against powerless people to take the fruits of their labor, and give it to the slave owner who didn’t earn it.

If you think the Constitution was written by people with a “live and let live” ethic, you don’t know your history. Before the 13th Amendment, the Constitution actually had a fugitive slave clause.

We’d all get along just fine if we included a third moral imperative: “don’t expropriate a person’s labor value via grossly unequal bargaining power.”
It's not important that the Founders didn't live by today's standards.

What's important is that the Founders laid the foundation, so that one day everyone could be free.

The Declaration of Independence and US Constitution were based on Natural Law - the protection of individual rights to life, liberty and property.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:13 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
The Constitution was written perfectly, and clearly, and is as wonderful a guiding light today as it was in the 18th century.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Constitution was written perfectly, and clearly, and is as wonderful a guiding light today as it was in the 18th century.
Absolutely!

Old 07-02-2021, 04:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
1. I think the first amendment is absolutely clear, and fine as written and it works. Don't think any tweaking of it at all is necessary.

2. I'd like to see the 2nd Amendment abolished completely, simply vacated. With no second amendment, gun ownership can be treated like car ownership, knife ownership, chicken ownership, or fireworks ownership. Let the states and municipalities decide how to regulate it, or not to regulate it.

An aside, I was interested to read today that in the 1870's in Round Rock Texas, (still very conservative) considered kind of a frontier and wild wild west, residents were not allowed to carry guns and what set off the legendary Sam Bass Gang fight between LE and the gang, was Sheriff AW Grimes believed he saw a gun on Sam Bass. A shootout left both men dead. So you can't tell me that 2A has always been interpreted to mean anyone can carry a gun, when in Texas in the 1870's, carrying a gun by anyone except registered law enforcement within the city was illegal, and could get you shot dead.

3. I'd like to see the birthright citizenship clause removed from the 14th Amendment, and include only babies born to US Citizens, (and maybe possibly legal permanent residents) but not those here illegally.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-02-2021 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 04:44 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmfeNq5x5aQ

and it's wonderful Constitution and enduring principles.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:48 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
1. I think the first amendment is absolutely clear, and fine as written and it works. Don't think any tweaking of it at all is necessary.

2. I'd like to see the 2nd Amendment abolished completely, simply vacated. With no second amendment, gun ownership can be treated like car ownership, knife ownership, chicken ownership, or fireworks ownership. Let the states and municipalities decide how to regulate it, or not to regulate it.

An aside, I was interested to read today that in the 1870's in Round Rock Texas, (still very conservative) considered kind of a frontier and wild wild west, residents were not allowed to carry guns and what set off the legendary Sam Bass Gang fight between LE and the gang, was Sheriff AW Grimes believed he saw a gun on Sam Bass. A shootout left both men dead. So you can't tell me that 2A has always been interpreted to mean anyone can carry a gun, when in Texas in the 1870's, carrying a gun by anyone except registered law enforcement within the city was illegal, and could get you shot dead.

3. I'd like to see the birthright citizenship clause removed from the 14th Amendment, and include only babies born to US Citizens, (and maybe possibly legal permanent residents) but not those here illegally.
Don't own a gun then, your choice.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Don't own a gun then, your choice.
That's not the point. Although I don't have a gun in my home, I grew up with guns in my childhood home, and all 3 of my adult sons have guns in their homes, so I'm not opposed to gun ownership at all.

I'm opposed to people with criminal pasts who buy and carry guns for the purpose of shooting other people in the commission of a crime. And the 2nd Amendment fanatics don't seem to see that as a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies