Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 06:20 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times

Advertisements

The Constitution should be amended to have a balanced budget.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:35 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Great document but the world has changed and it certainly needs amending, this is 2021.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:38 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
1. I think the first amendment is absolutely clear, and fine as written and it works. Don't think any tweaking of it at all is necessary.

2. I'd like to see the 2nd Amendment abolished completely, simply vacated. With no second amendment, gun ownership can be treated like car ownership, knife ownership, chicken ownership, or fireworks ownership. Let the states and municipalities decide how to regulate it, or not to regulate it.

An aside, I was interested to read today that in the 1870's in Round Rock Texas, (still very conservative) considered kind of a frontier and wild wild west, residents were not allowed to carry guns and what set off the legendary Sam Bass Gang fight between LE and the gang, was Sheriff AW Grimes believed he saw a gun on Sam Bass. A shootout left both men dead. So you can't tell me that 2A has always been interpreted to mean anyone can carry a gun, when in Texas in the 1870's, carrying a gun by anyone except registered law enforcement within the city was illegal, and could get you shot dead.

3. I'd like to see the birthright citizenship clause removed from the 14th Amendment, and include only babies born to US Citizens, (and maybe possibly legal permanent residents) but not those here illegally.
Good recommendations but not sure I agree with the first amendment with the internet and social media.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:50 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They no longer exist?

Private military company

Besides, armed security is a thing. Ever been to a bank? In many of them, you'll find lethal force for hire there, standing in the corner.

Not that any of it matters. Your argument is invalid, regardless of the accuracy of your claims.
Yes, Privateers no longer exist. Disingenuous argument. Armed security are not privateers.

Your argument remains invalid.

Cannon and warship..... That's what the framers would be doing if they could see this nonsense from you and others who run this line.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Cannon thing belongs totally to President JoeBama. He claimed on Video Tape that the words oin the Constitution say Citizen cannot own a Cannon. Looks like he has Never read the Bill of Rights. He sure doesn’t understand what he swore an Oath to follow and protect.
No, the 2A absolutists have been running the Cannon trope for years. It is one of the standard talking points that low IQ "thinkers" latch on to.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Disingenuous argument" Ignorant claim.

"Privateers had cannon and warships. They no longer exist."

Cannons sure as hell DO exist. And they are workable.

Some colleges even fire them at football games.

Steen Cannons | Authentic U.S. military cannons

steencannons.com

Steen Cannons was started in early 1993 by Marshall Steen, a Civil War enthusiast since 1967. Marshall is a third generation mortician (Funeral Director/Embalmer) and has been in the service related business all of his life.

Coaches Club Black Powder Cannons

https://www.coachesclubcannons.com

Coaches Club Cannons is the leading site for black powder cannons. We sell golf ball, billiard ball and bowling ball cannons. USD Welcome visitor ... It is going to work great for my taps operation. Gary, Adams Center, NY Hi Rick - fired the cannon this weekend and it worked great. Here are a couple of pictures of the carriage I built.
There are MANY MORE manufacturers.
I see you are unfamiliar with the rules of syntax

Figures...

Old 07-02-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Constitution was written perfectly, and clearly, and is as wonderful a guiding light today as it was in the 18th century.
Just like the bible....

Old 07-02-2021, 06:59 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm opposed to people with criminal pasts who buy and carry guns for the purpose of shooting other people in the commission of a crime. And the 2nd Amendment fanatics don't seem to see that as a problem.
Laws don't stop criminals.

Our rights, including the right to protect ourselves from criminals, tyrannical government, etc, isn't given to us by the Constitution. Our rights are inherent and inalienable. The Constitution was written to keep the government from infringing on our rights.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Laws don't stop criminals.

Our rights, including the right to protect ourselves from criminals, tyrannical government, etc, isn't given to us by the Constitution. Our rights are inherent and inalienable. The Constitution was written to keep the government from infringing on our rights.
Then why do we even bother to have laws about possession of any dangerous materials, since only the law abiding will obey them?

Why do we make it illegal to possess bombs, cannons, certain military grade guns, certain poisons, tigers, dogs with a history of attacking people, venomous snakes etc, if there's no point, since only law abiding people will abide by those laws, and criminals won't?

Here's why. Because when we find the criminals possess them, we can take them away and sentence the criminals to jail time.

I'm not thinking of making gun ownership illegal for law abiding individuals, or for individuals whose families have not repeatedly raised the formal alarm that the person is planning a mass murder, Artisan, and certainly not sporting guns. I want to make the procurement of guns by people bent on using them to commit crime much more difficult, and make the penalty for their use in a crime much more severe.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Constitution was written perfectly, and clearly, and is as wonderful a guiding light today as it was in the 18th century.
Everything except the 2A. That's the only hitch in the giddyup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies