Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 01:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Never said it's done nothing, but it clearly has gaps, otherwise then how do you explain these results out of the UK? A majority of the people dying of the COVID19 delta variant had at least one shot of the COVID vaccine, and fully vaccinated Brits were the largest group of deaths in that early sample!
Easy. Population differences.

When you have a country with 85%+ with one or more vaccine shots, the number of deaths from a known to be potentially fatal virus within this population is going to eventually exceed the unvaccinated population.

Consider two populations, one with 100% double dosed vaccinated population of 1M, the other with 0% vaccinated population of 1M. They're both hit with the same virus, that has a fatality rate of 0.1%, the vaccine is 92% efficacy (just like Pfizer, Moderna, etc).

OK population 1 (100% vaccinated) will have 80 deaths from the virus.
Population 2 (0% vaccinated) will have 1,000 deaths from the virus.

In context of those populations you have 100% of all deaths coming from vaccinated people in one of them. Which by your logic would imply the vaccine doesn't work. However comparing the two populations it clearly does, you've reduced total deaths by 920.

Now in your original post before you went to tortured statisticsville, the UK had 117 deaths of which 50 were from vaxxed patients. OK UK vaxxed population is 85% with one or more shots, and 65% with both. So at best 50 deaths came from 55M (85%) people, at worst they came from 42M (65%), but both are far greater populations than the 10M (15%) who had 67 deaths. I'll also point out that 50 is not a majority of 117. OK if we fast forward 6 months the UK will probably have close to 100% vaccine coverage, at that time there will probably still be covid deaths, but, far fewer than if they weren't vaccinated, just like we have flu deaths every year. That's kind of what's being aimed at.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:18 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Never said it's done nothing, but it clearly has gaps, otherwise then how do you explain these results out of the UK? A majority of the people dying of the COVID19 delta variant had at least one shot of the COVID vaccine, and fully vaccinated Brits were the largest group of deaths in that early sample!
99% of covid deaths/hospitalizations are from the unvaccinated.

https://www.wjhl.com/national-corona...ed-people/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 02:02 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Who cares. This is over.
Dream on. In Oklahoma, the 7 day average for COVID-19 cases is now 267. This time last month it was only 111.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-07-2021 at 02:16 AM..

Old 07-07-2021, 03:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For example, 80% vaccinated, 40% of deaths (50/117)....then the unvaccinated 20% with 60% of the deaths has a death rate 6x higher than those vaccinated. (rough numbers, would take a detailed review as to the %'s immunized by the various categories and match up the deaths etc. but the point stands in general.)

I work around above average to REALLY smart people on a daily basis. I sometimes forget just how innumerate and illogical the majority of people are. It's like the movie Idiocracy on a daily basis for me and it gets tiresome. Not that people shouldn't make their own personal decisions but that people go prosletyze those views without the capability to really understand what I consider to be basic math.
I quit arguing with them. Not worth it.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Default Counter point: 100% of June deaths in Maryland in unvaccinated

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ationally/amp/

Sorry to burst your bubble.....

Old 07-07-2021, 06:11 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

That is statistically impossible according to all of the posts here.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:32 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times
I got the two does of Pfizer. The first shot felt like the lightest pin prick, like the least painful shot I ever had. It was nothing
I wasn't watching the needle go in. It didn't feel like there was time enough for the liquid to go in.
Is this normal?

Old 07-07-2021, 09:34 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I got the two does of Pfizer. The first shot felt like the lightest pin prick, like the least painful shot I ever had. It was nothing
I wasn't watching the needle go in. It didn't feel like there was time enough for the liquid to go in.
Is this normal?
My second dose was the same way. The first dose I felt. My second dose, I didn't even feel and I would almost swear nothing was done!! Maybe just an artful shot-giver!

Old 07-07-2021, 09:36 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
reading some pretty scary things about these vaccines...

Old 07-07-2021, 09:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Is this normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My second dose was the same way. The first dose I felt. My second dose, I didn't even feel and I would almost swear nothing was done!! Maybe just an artful shot-giver!
Yes it is normal. I had a pretty strong reaction both times, although more-so after the first shot. But If you look at the clinical trial data, many people had no reaction at all to either.

There are lots of variables based on how the needle was inserted, and actually a skilled vaccinator can probably deliver it with no pain.

The fact that so many people have talked about the side-effects has made people who didn't experience anything paranoid, but in reality a large percentage of people in the clinical trials had no side effects or even pain in the injection site. It's just become almost a fad to mention them, and so the people who did have these are the most vocal about mentioning them.

So it is very normal if you had no pain or side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies