Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 05:46 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really? I thought the definition of a Confederate statue was self-explanatory.

I don't think anything should be named for Confederate soldiers or Confederate generals. And not every southerner served the Confederacy. Do not gaslight me. I'm talking explicitly about Confederate leaders/generals/soldiers. Considering what the Confederate cause is about, I see no reason for having anything named for Confederates or having statues honoring Confederate generals.
"Really? I thought the definition of a Confederate statue was self-explanatory. "

Maybe that is what you get for "thinking!

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65
All Valid arguments however, i was raised in the South and went to public school in the South and i don't recall any text books every mentioning that Slavery was a good thing for Blacks... They did teach that there was more to the Civil War than Slavery, they didn't say it had nothing to do with Slavery but that Slavery and States rights which included slavery, economic interests (taxes), representation (power of the federal government to control states), were among the items highlighted. To say that Southern Schools taught that Slavery was good and had slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War is simply not true."

The bottom line is the Civil War should NEVER have happened.

All the North had to do was to let the states that FREELY JOINED the Union be able to FREELY leave the union.

Many in the North did not want the South to leave because they relied so much on the cotton industry and the other farming products from the South.

If the South was allowed to leave, they would no longer have control over those products.

It was NOT ALL about slavery!

Does anyone actually think average normal people from the north who worked their own farm, ran their own small business or lived in a big city, etc. EVER THOUGHT ABOUT slaves and slavery?

Does anyone on here think all the time about how horrible the Chinese people are treated on a daily basis?

Or how it is in to live in places like Russia, Venezuela, etc.?

I don't think so.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-11-2021 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 06:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Tennessee is a little different from other parts of the South. I think Tennessee takes pride in the fact that they were the last to leave, and the first to return. Places like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, more than likely had textbooks downplaying slavery.
one day, you're telling us these textbooks existed. The next, you're saying they probably existed.

Do you think there's anybody under 100 that was taught in school the "Lost Cause" version of the Civil War?

Old 07-11-2021, 06:30 AM

5,108 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When do we purge Mount Rushmore?

George Washington was a traitor with statues in Britain and Thomas Jefferson owned 600 slaves.

America was built off traitors (George Washington) and slave owning politicians (Thomas Jefferson). Looks like we better destroy America and start over.
While we're at it, let's purge marxism because Karl Marx dropped the n-word in his letters to Engels where he mentionned then didn't have an high esteem of blacks and mexicans. Come to think of it, is it far-fetched to think then marxism is a disguised form of white supremacy?

Old 07-11-2021, 06:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When do we purge Mount Rushmore?

George Washington was a traitor with statues in Britain and Thomas Jefferson owned 600 slaves.

America was built off traitors (George Washington) and slave owning politicians (Thomas Jefferson). Looks like we better destroy America and start over.
The statue of George Washington outside the National Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square, London, dates back to 1921, and was a gift from the US,

Although it's a fairly strange gift, given the out come of the War of Independence, then again he is recognised as one of the great statesmen of his time, and there are also statues of Ghandi and other such important figures.

Furthermore "25 casts of the same GW statue have been made and spread all over the world, from the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., to Lima, Peru, and, of course, London's Trafalgar Square".

So there are statues of GW all over the world.

The Statue of GW in London, doesn't stand on British soil, as soil from Virginia was especially sent over for the statue to stand on.

There are also statues and memorials in respect of Lincoln (London & Manchester), Franklin D. Roosevelt, a JFK memorial at Runnymede, as well as statues of Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan. Most of the statues are in Grosvenor Square which is an area with long historic links to the US.

Why George Washington's Statue in London Doesn't Touch British Soil - Military.com

Statues of 6 American Presidents in London - Guide London

John F Kennedy memorial - A Bit About Britain

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-11-2021 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 09:24 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
one day, you're telling us these textbooks existed. The next, you're saying they probably existed.

Do you think there's anybody under 100 that was taught in school the "Lost Cause" version of the Civil War?
I was talking in terms of the years when you were in school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_C...he_Confederacy

I certainly know that people under 100 were taught the Lost Cause version. I think you are among the oldest not to be taught that version.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
And yet, all those statues, memorials and flags simply cry out "WE LOST".
Why would you wish to tear down THAT MEMORY?
VINDICTIVENESS?
STUPIDITY?
IGNORANCE?
. . . .

Remember to spit on graves, too. You can never tell what evil was buried with them.

BTW - I currently live in Dizzy Dixie, and many areas have a minority as the majority. And for some strange reason, the A.A.s aren't having conniption fits over the Confederate memorial at Stone Mountain. Maybe Yankees are. Maybe Leftists are. But the local folks don't give a hoot. Maybe they aren't wanting to open old wounds on their friends and neighbors. Who knows?
Call me vindictive, stupid, or ignorant all you want. I do not care. I'm sticking to my stance. Those statues stand as homages and tributes to Confederate statues. They honor Confederate generals. Do not try to spin this any other way. Don't try to spin it as "they cry out 'we lost' ". Those statues should not have been up in the first place.

I grew up in the South too (in Georgia no less). And something else. You really don't know what those African-Americans in your area really think. I can tell you that from polls taken, a majority of African-Americans are in favor of removing/taking down Confederate statues and Confederate monuments. And the U.S. Census says that a majority of African-Americans are southerners.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Where else in the world does a country keep statues of their defeated enemy?
Not only that, a defeated enemy whose main reason for fighting was to keep the institution of slavery around. There is no reason to pay tribute to Confederate generals, period. Those Confederate statues honor and lionize Confederate generals, period. And by proxy, paying honor and lionizing the Confederate cause. Neither deserve to be lionized.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:55 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Think we can pressure Egypt to take down the Pyramids? Because you know slaves and all that

Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Think we can pressure Egypt to take down the Pyramids? Because you know slaves and all that
We are talking about the going-ons in America, not Egypt, so leave Egypt out of this and focus on the Confederate stuff.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:22 AM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No party was responsible for slavery. Slavery existed before parties did.

Also, removing statues is intended not to erase the history, but to stop glorifying it.
Too logical and fact-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies