Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 01:12 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What Washington did in his personal life does not negate this fact: The Revolutionary War was not fought so that the USA could continue slavery. The Confederates were about that. No one is revolting against George Washington because of what the Revolutionary War was about. It is about why the USA revolted against Britain vs why the Confederates revolted against America.

I'm not trying to defend George Washington. I'm simply saying that comparing the Patriots of the Revolutionary War and the Confederates of the Civil War, based on the main cause being fought for, is quite stupid. The Patriots of the Revolutionary War weren't fighting against Britain for the sake of keep slavery. It was stuff like taxation without consent, quartering soldiers in citizens' homes, and denying colonists the right to a trial. The Confederate cause was all about keeping slavery. You cannot compare the two.
The confederates were fighting to keep the country that George Washington created.

Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
1) Africa has nothing to do with this.

2) "My ancestors" didn't sell themselves. People would take slaves from tribes not their own. A Fulani would never refer to a Hausa as "their people". Shows how much you know about Africa.

3) We are talking about America, and what happened here, no where else.

4) I don't have tribal connections with people based solely on skin color. I just understand where I stand in America as a Black man. I didn't chose it. I'm just here. I have to look at how things would have affected me back then and today.

5) I live in America. I was born and raised here. I have more in common with someone from Minnesota than I do from Ghana.

6) Go back and prove where I've lied about anything. If you can't do that, then cut through the formalities and just say what you think. Don't try to convince me to think your way. Just admit how you really feel.

Well you're just lumping all "black" people together and calling them "your ancestors."

You did that, not me.

We are talking about the complexities of slavery as viewed through a modern lens. Why do you want to limit that conversation?

Yes, you live in America. So why do you somehow identify with African slaves from a century and a half ago?

Old 06-30-2021, 01:17 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
The confederates were fighting to keep the country that George Washington created.

Period.
Incorrect. Had the confederates won, can there be any doubt that they would have changed the Constitution to enshrine a right to slavery? That’s not the country the founders built, most of them were opposed to slavery even though they recognized they could not settle the question at the founding. There was a shared understanding though that slavery was likely to be banned in the near future, and that was their hope. Even the pro slavery side had to accept the provision that the slave trade could be outlawed by 1806.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are going off on a tangent, this is about removing statues of confederate officers that were willing to send thousands of Americans to their death to defend slavery. No one is defending slave owners. Each jurisdiction can decide on their own whether it wants to have monuments to insurrectionists but it doesn't change history.
And again, by your definition, George Washington was an "insurrectionist."

And we have TONS of monuments to him.

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:

Period.

No they weren't. The United States of America is the country that Washington helped to create. They were fighting against that country.

Period.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Why the need to force this equivalence? So you honestly feel that the confederate cause was as just as Washington’s was in his war?

You feel that rebellion against the US Constitution, an eminently fairer government than former England’s was to the colonies, is a comparable comparison? Because that sounds like lost cause nonsense to me.

Of course Washington broke the rules when he committed treason against the British crown. Where did I suggest he did not? It was obviously necessary for all the founders to commit treason against England to form a new country.
And the American constitution said slaves were 3/5ths of a person.

And Washington himself had hundreds of slaves.

I'm trying to understand your support of one set of slave owners, but your denigration of ANOTHER set of slave owners who were simply trying to uphold Washington's America and resist Lincoln's NEW America.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
yes.. he broke the rules of England and we didn’t fly an English flag after they were defeated.
BUT, we have many, many monuments to Englishmen from that time period.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:21 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:

Period.
No. The Confederates were fighting explicitly for slavery. George Washington wasn't fighting explicitly for that. Again, the two cannot be compared, so stop trying.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
George Washington can go too..

Why do you think we have love for ANY slave owning President?

I have no love for any of these men who would view me as property or less than human.
NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE views YOU that way.

Are you the owner of a time portal that can take you back hundreds of years?

Do you also hate the black people who sold other black people into slavery?

Do you also hate the black people who enslaved whites and blacks?

Just checking.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:23 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
I certainly won't shed a tear for the Confederates no longer being idolized and worshiped as wonderful people, but it would be the height of stupidity to erase all trace of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies