Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 12:46 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There were black laborers, teamsters, cooks and whatnot in the Confederate Army, but the idea that black men fought for the Confederacy is another attempt at justification, for whatever reason. It was actually a problem for the Confederate army - a lot of their soldiers had gotten used to the idea that grunt work was handled by whatever black man was at hand, and they did not relish the the idea of cutting trenches or other military field work.

There was a militia of free blacks that attempted to sign up (in Louisiana, 1861) - but that was just too much for the Southern Gentleman Class to handle and they were instead ordered to disarm. Apparently, quite a few of them joined up with the Union instead, to sort of return the insult with interest.
Pro-Confederates are basically grasping at straws. The Lost Cause knows no bounds when it comes to lies and insanity. What will the Pro-Confederate types have to say when

1) The only role Blacks served for the Confederates were the grunt labor.
2) The vast majority of Blacks fought for the Union.
3) Confederates only started letting Blacks fight when it was too little too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Confederate army attacked a U.S. military base, and then waged a war against the U.S. Robert E. Lee took an oath on his honor to defend the U.S. and the Constitution when he graduated from West Point. Then he violated that oath.

Slavery, the cause they fought for, was not viewed as acceptable at the time. If it had been, there would have been no need to commit treason,

We don't need statues to remember Benedict Arnold, and we don't need statues to remember these traitors.
That is right. Everything that Robert E. Lee did, he should have spent the remainder of his life in prison, or executed. He got off easy.

Slavery was acceptable for the planter class in the South. It wasn't acceptable in the rest of America though. The Southern states, however, were offered options. The South turned them down. The South wanted independence in the name of keeping slavery. The South had to be dragged out of slavery kicking and screaming.

We don't need statues of Robert E. Lee, or any other Confederates to remember them. We have history books, the internet, museums. The thing is, Neo-Confederate types WANT Robert E. Lee memorialized in marble because it goes along with their values.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:32 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So why didn’t they rename those bases, or close them.
I maintain we need to keep Fort Bragg, as a token of gratitude. Having general Bragg on the side of the Confederates was as good as adding a corps to the Union.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Who are the ones demolishing history in 2021? Tearing down every statue they can find and (literally) banning books?

I can't even watch Gone with the Wind without some nanny BS appearing to tell me what I should think of it before it starts. Do you think modern conservatives are doing that?
The topic, I believe, was book burning. Fighting book burning has been a central cause of the left, against the right that doesn't want ideas in the hands of the public, and most certainly not in the hands of school children.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I maintain we need to keep Fort Bragg, as a token of gratitude. Having general Bragg on the side of the Confederates was as good as adding a corps to the Union.
I wouldn't even keep the name Fort Bragg. I am in favor of renaming any military installation that is currently named for a Confederate soldier.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Confederate army attacked a U.S. military base, and then waged a war against the U.S. Robert E. Lee took an oath on his honor to defend the U.S. and the Constitution when he graduated from West Point. Then he violated that oath.

Slavery, the cause they fought for, was not viewed as acceptable at the time. If it had been, there would have been no need to commit treason,

We don't need statues to remember Benedict Arnold, and we don't need statues to remember these traitors.
2nd reply.

Considering that Confederates attacked a U.S. military base, it is highly ironic that we have military bases named for Confederate generals (i.e. Fort Bliss, Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, etc).

Old 07-09-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So why didn’t they rename those bases, or close them.
My view of why those military bases were given Confederate names. It was to bend over backwards. Good will is not a bad thing. However, in this case, it was misplaced. I also have another theory. Alot of Southerners served in the military. I think at the time, naming military bases after Confederate soldiers might have been influenced by that. And consider this. Literally EVERY military installation named for a Confederate soldier was/is in the former Confederate states.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:43 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
So what.
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're not getting rid of Washington, Jefferson, etal.

And oh, by the way - it's not to hold them up as paragons of white supremacy.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that is because for some folks if they are truly honest about slavery they will say they dont think it was that bad since it was protected by “laws” or they know its so cruel to admit it would make them feel guilty.

No one should feel guilty for slavery today.. but damn, is it really that hard to say it was an ugly stain our our history and we shouldn’t praise those who were willing to die to defend it.
sorry to go back, and have not noted this.

You are absolutely right - the idea of slavery among humans - how this was ever thought to be a "good thing" - is wrong. It was bad enough when factions at war turned the defeated into slaves. The idea that we should be able to buy and sell humans as property is abhorrent.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're not getting rid of Washington, Jefferson, etal.

And oh, by the way - it's not to hold them up as paragons of white supremacy.
I'm not calling for Washington and Jefferson's statues to be removed. What I do find very sad is someone trying to compare George Washington to Robert E. Lee. If someone is pro-Confederate, said person shouldn't try to make justifications for it, especially fallacious ones. I won't like where said person stands. The reason is that Confederate values are very reprehensible. However, when someone starts gaslighting, it gets ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies