Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 05:57 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Thank you.

If a person wants a Confederate flag or Confederate statue on their own private property, that is there choice. I won't have any respect for said persons. However, that is their choice.

Confederate statues and Confederate flags do not belong in public spaces. They should never be funded with public money.
"
Quote: Originally Posted by ClaraC
Not on public property with public funds."
What ever happened in our country to "majority rules"?

If a town, city, etc,, that the PEOPLE OWN want something and the MAJORITY of the people vote in FAVOR, what RIGHT do outsiders have in telling them what they can and cant have on THEIR property?

I don't like all the DOZENS of things in West Virginia named after a KKK leader who became a DEM U.S Senator. Do I have the right to tell THEM to drop his name from everything?

It is ALSO mote, not a single dem has complained about his name everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 08:22 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What W.E.B. Du Bois, Adam Smith, & you have in common is moral courage. Stay strong. You have to do ~ whatever you can't ~ not do.
I do what I can. There are just some things I can't be on board with. Promoting the Confederate Lost Cause crap is something I'm not on board with.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:33 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"By the way, a lot of Black people" also FOUGHT FOR THE SOUTH...
Nope. Myth. Lost Cause fabrication right in the first sentence.

Very late in the war, when the confederacy was cornered like a rat and saw no other way out, the idea was aired to raise black regiments with the promise of manumission for service. Predictably, a whole lot of Southern Gentlemen threw a snit-fit - that was against everything they had fought for.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
We fought Germany TWICE, yet are now a good ally. Should we NOT be friend for what they did in the past to us?
I must have missed the statues of German WWII generals in places of honor in the US. Care to point them out?

If the former Slave States (that is what they called themselves) had grown up to have a reckoning with their past like Germany, we wouldn't have to have this conversation.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:40 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's so odd that you keep calling the left book burners.

It seems you have no idea the history of book burning.
Who are the ones demolishing history in 2021? Tearing down every statue they can find and (literally) banning books?

I can't even watch Gone with the Wind without some nanny BS appearing to tell me what I should think of it before it starts. Do you think modern conservatives are doing that?

Old 07-09-2021, 08:46 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Very late in the war, when the confederacy was cornered like a rat and saw no other way out, the idea was aired to raise black regiments with the promise of manumission for service. Predictably, a whole lot of Southern Gentlemen threw a snit-fit - that was against everything they had fought for.
The vast majority of Blacks fought for the Union, the vast majority. Anyone who tries to bring up "Black Confederates" needs to know that.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:55 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you favor erasing all the founding fathers who owned slaves from our history? Because they are next, you can bet on it.
I do not and no they aren’t. Also, no confederate leaders are being erased from history by moving the location at which these statues are exhibited. That is an absurd description.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The vast majority of Blacks fought for the Union, the vast majority. Anyone who tries to bring up "Black Confederates" needs to know that.
There were black laborers, teamsters, cooks and whatnot in the Confederate Army, but the idea that black men fought for the Confederacy is another attempt at justification, for whatever reason. It was actually a problem for the Confederate army - a lot of their soldiers had gotten used to the idea that grunt work was handled by whatever black man was at hand, and they did not relish the the idea of cutting trenches or other military field work.

There was a militia of free blacks that attempted to sign up (in Louisiana, 1861) - but that was just too much for the Southern Gentleman Class to handle and they were instead ordered to disarm. Apparently, quite a few of them joined up with the Union instead, to sort of return the insult with interest.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:14 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
House Votes to Purge ALL Confederate Statues From the Capitol

So the Party that was responsible for Slavery is now trying to erase it's own history.
So why didn’t they rename those bases, or close them.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:40 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Confederate army attacked a U.S. military base, and then waged a war against the U.S. Robert E. Lee took an oath on his honor to defend the U.S. and the Constitution when he graduated from West Point. Then he violated that oath.

Slavery, the cause they fought for, was not viewed as acceptable at the time. If it had been, there would have been no need to commit treason,

We don't need statues to remember Benedict Arnold, and we don't need statues to remember these traitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies